No announcement yet.

Is Coffee Over Rated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italians, like Can, love coffee and are very concerned about its quality and availability. My experience is that they have coffee, espresso and cappuccino. It's funny to see American Starbucks addicts try to order coffee in Italy. I saw one person order a latte and was served a glass of milk.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post
      Italians, like Can, love coffee and are very concerned about its quality and availability. My experience is that they have coffee, espresso and cappuccino. It's funny to see American Starbucks addicts try to order coffee in Italy. I saw one person order a latte and was served a glass of milk.
      Sam......did you see the Italians getting their hit of espresso to start their work day? It was like a ritual for many. It was downed in a few seconds!! Believe it or not, when I was in Italy, and some other countries, I often resorted to Café Americano. It was the closest to the taste I enjoy, once I added some cream and sugar. Mind you a cappuccino now and again is pretty nice! Espresso.....not so much so.

Hey Sam, which one(s) did you like to drink when in the beautiful country of Italy?
      Last edited by CanDB; 03-07-2017, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        Sam......did you see the Italians getting their hit of espresso to start their work day? It was like a ritual for many. It was downed in a few seconds!! Believe it or not, when I was in Italy, and some other countries, I often resorted to Café Americano. It was the closest to the taste I enjoy, once I added some cream and sugar. Mind you a cappuccino now and again is pretty nice! Espresso.....not so much so.

Hey Sam, which one(s) did you like to drink when in the beautiful country of Italy?
        Yes. 5/6 AM espresso with a pastry; a roll con mozzarella. Romans get it going, but try not to be too crazy about it.

If I was in a dining room with a coffee urn, I'd just get some black coffee (or, con latte) of which Italians do a good job - strong. If I could order espresso, I went for it because I don't make it at home. Cappuccino is nice in the afternoon. Always had house red wine with dinner. I guess I'm a reincarnated Italian: coffee, red wine, pasta slightly al dente, pizza margherita, Ferrari F1.

Greece makes good coffee, but they overcook their pasta. That's OK because they have plenty of other good eats.
        Last edited by samparnell; 03-07-2017, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Yes. 5/6 AM espresso with a pastry; a roll con mozzarella. Romans get it going, but try not to be too crazy about it.

If I was in a dining room with a coffee urn, I'd just get some black coffee (or, con latte) of which Italians do a good job - strong. If I could order espresso, I went for it because I don't make it at home. Cappuccino is nice in the afternoon. Always had house red wine with dinner. I guess I'm a reincarnated Italian: coffee, red wine, pasta slightly al dente, pizza margherita, Ferrari F1.

Greece makes good coffee, but they overcook their pasta. That's OK because they have plenty of other good eats.
          You bring me back to probably our best trip ever.......Italy and Greece! My wife, who is not of Italian descent, still says Italy was her favourite place to visit, ever. In those few weeks (including both countries), and as I know you full well appreciate, the history and the sights we took in were almost overwhelming!:thumb:

Our youngest came with us, and she concurs with you.....margherita pizza almost every day!!!

One more thing......what was the scariest part for you? How about the cab drivers, who drive around as if you are in a formula race!!!!
          Last edited by CanDB; 03-07-2017, 05:55 PM.

Comment

You bring me back to probably our best trip ever.......Italy and Greece! My wife, who is not of Italian descent, still says Italy was her favourite place to visit, ever. In those few weeks (including both countries), and as I know you full well appreciate, the history and the sights we took in were almost overwhelming!:thumb:

Our youngest came with us, and she concurs with you.....margherita pizza almost every day!!!

One more thing......what was the scariest part for you? How about the cab drivers, who drive around as if you are in a formula race!!!!
            One thing I have in common with Italian drivers is go with the flow, and they know how to flow. There's nothing about Italy that has scared me. When I was there, I just felt normal.

But, I haven't been everywhere I'd like to go. Haven't been to Sicilia, Calabria or Milano and Torino. Would like to spend more time in Campania, Puglia and Romagna. Still stuff I'd like to see in Lazio.

I found Greece very stimulating and exciting. Would like to spend more time on Crete and in Central Greece. My favorite spot on the mainland is Delfi. Would like to visit more islands. Love boat rides. The only way I've ever entered Greece is on the overnight ferry from Italy.

Comment

One thing I have in common with Italian drivers is go with the flow, and they know how to flow. There's nothing about Italy that has scared me. When I was there, I just felt normal.

But, I haven't been everywhere I'd like to go. Haven't been to Sicilia, Calabria or Milano and Torino. Would like to spend more time in Campania, Puglia and Romagna. Still stuff I'd like to see in Lazio.

I found Greece very stimulating and exciting. Would like to spend more time on Crete and in Central Greece. My favorite spot on the mainland is Delfi. Would like to visit more islands. Love boat rides. The only way I've ever entered Greece is on the overnight ferry from Italy.
              Yah.....when I asked what scared you, I was making the assumption that you got one of those thrill rides, through the streets of Italy!! Our cab ride from Rome to the airport was the scariest ride EVER! I turned around to see my wife and youngest looking down, in fear. He was going over 100 MPH and driving close to the cars around him.

Italy has far too many sites to see in one journey. YES, have to return to see The Amalfi Coast. Loved Rome, Florence (and surrounding area), Venice, and all the medieval locales. Got to meet family in Venice, so it was a great bonus! I could go on......

As for Greece, for those who like to cruise and love good weather, I recommend a Greek Island Cruise. Hard to beat Santorini, for one. As I say Sam, far too many points we could discuss.

Back to coffee.....

Comment

• Having a cup right now (even though I'm not supposed to). My wife got ahold of this vanilla flavored Private Selection, and it's incredible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                  Having a cup right now (even though I'm not supposed to). My wife got ahold of this vanilla flavored Private Selection, and it's incredible.
                  Thx for getting us back on topic!!!

Sounds delicious!

Comment

• Remember when we used to affectionately call coffee "The Think Drink". Hey, lots of great meetings with coffee being served. I know it is not everyone's choice, but I have to believe it can stimulate conversation a little. For me it goes back to the folk music days, when we would go to a local place for coffee and some good local sound. Perhaps it was because it was in my University days that it seemed to be a time of thoughtfulness, of seeking and solving. I really loved that scene! So many great composers and thinkers!

Comment

Thx for getting us back on topic!!!

Sounds delicious!
                      I guess it's Kroger brand. Don't know who makes it for them.

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                      Remember when we used to affectionately call coffee "The Think Drink". Hey, lots of great meetings with coffee being served. I know it is not everyone's choice, but I have to believe it can stimulate conversation a little. For me it goes back to the folk music days, when we would go to a local place for coffee and some good local sound. Perhaps it was because it was in my University days that it seemed to be a time of thoughtfulness, of seeking and solving. I really loved that scene! So many great composers and thinkers!
                      When I was in school, I'd be firing up the coffee maker at like 9PM on a regular basis. My father in law lived with us at the time, and would look at me like I was nuts. lol. I'd be so tired some nights that I had to have it though.

Comment

• Anybody roast their own coffee? A friend of mine got in to it some time ago and has gotten a bit high tech about it with his roaster now computer controlled so he can really control different aspects of what ends up in the final roast. That and the different beans he gets... holy cow.

I liked coffee before but now it's altogether different

Comment

• Originally posted by Rastic View Post

Anybody roast their own coffee? A friend of mine got in to it some time ago and has gotten a bit high tech about it with his roaster now computer controlled so he can really control different aspects of what ends up in the final roast. That and the different beans he gets... holy cow.

Are you saying it gets even better???!!! OMG.....I thought coffee was too good to be true already!

But no, haven't tried roasting coffee yet. Folks here might make me reconsider, and try it out myself.

(ha ha....I guess French press doesn't count? If so, I sort of qualify. On that note, something so cool about French press, like it's something Europeans would expect....but I digress.)

Comment

• I watched a cookery show from my favourite cafe the other day and all the cakes and desserts, not to mention various cocktails had coffee in them.
                            My idea of a perfect party!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rastic View Post

Anybody roast their own coffee? A friend of mine got in to it some time ago and has gotten a bit high tech about it with his roaster now computer controlled so he can really control different aspects of what ends up in the final roast. That and the different beans he gets... holy cow.

A buddy of mine runs an online coffee biz. Beans don't get roasted until the order is placed, I noticed a big difference when I started ordering........now it makes me want to try to roast my own. Is your friends a commercial roaster or something more for home use?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                                I watched a cookery show from my favourite cafe the other day and all the cakes and desserts, not to mention various cocktails had coffee in them.
                                My idea of a perfect party!
                                You have hit on many of my favs.......café, cakes, desserts, coffee (sure, throw in cocktail!).

Comment

Working...
                                X