Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston, Texas.

Guys,

My wife and I have been coming to America for over twenty years now, and we have been to Texas a couple of times, visiting Dallas, Forth Worth and Austin. We are pencilling in a visit to Houston as we have never been, but we are hearing mixed reports about the city, especially the downtown area which seems to be a lot like downtown Dallas - not very much in it at all.

We are looking at avoiding downtown and choosing a hotel at the Galleria Mall area. We will only be there for three days, we want to do the Texans stadium tour, the Space Centre, and the museum district.

Any fellow Broncos fans ever visited Houston before, know anyone who lives there, or can offer an opinion/advice on whether it is worth going to?

Many thanks!
    Renfrewshire Scotland - Colorado USA

I lived in northern Texas when I was a kid (Wichita Falls). Never been to Houston, though.

Sounds like you've got some fun things planned. Maybe someone will post some good advice for you.
    Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by pozbaird View Post
      Guys,

My wife and I have been coming to America for over twenty years now, and we have been to Texas a couple of times, visiting Dallas, Forth Worth and Austin. We are pencilling in a visit to Houston as we have never been, but we are hearing mixed reports about the city, especially the downtown area which seems to be a lot like downtown Dallas - not very much in it at all.

We are looking at avoiding downtown and choosing a hotel at the Galleria Mall area. We will only be there for three days, we want to do the Texans stadium tour, the Space Centre, and the museum district.

Any fellow Broncos fans ever visited Houston before, know anyone who lives there, or can offer an opinion/advice on whether it is worth going to?

Many thanks!
      Hey bud, I was only there briefly, and can only give you a few thoughts. I was involved in a competitive paddling training session not too far from Houston, and we stayed in cabins by the lake we were paddling in. We were given some time off to see the sights, so we drove to Houston and beyond.....Galveston to be exact. Interesting place, right by the Gulf.

We did visit The Space Centre and enjoyed our time there.

We also made sure to eat BBQ, because from what I understand, you have to try BBQ! It was delicious!!

I wish we had more time, but our sessions were pretty intense and allowed little time for touring, as we were training with a national level Canadian team.

I am sure you will hear from others. One thing I will always remember was driving by The Enron building.....the once successful corporation that lost its way.

I also remember one thing....the week we were there was very, very humid.

All in all, I am sure you can time your venture to catch a game or two - whether it be football, baseball or basketball, at the big league level.
      Last edited by CanDB; 04-26-2016, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far!

Comment

Cmon gang....lets help this fellow member out if you can.

Poz - I am sure you are researching things yourself, but maybe you could go on The Texans' board and ask for some good ideas. Ha ha.....say you are a Brock fan!!!:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            Cmon gang....lets help this fellow member out if you can.

Poz - I am sure you are researching things yourself, but maybe you could go on The Texans' board and ask for some good ideas. Ha ha.....say you are a Brock fan!!!:thumb:

Ha! I've already done the stadium tour at JerryWorld and when the tour guide exictedly said 'So! Are we all Cowboys fans on the tour!' - I took delight in saying politely 'Nope, I'm a Broncos fan from Scotland!'..... You know that scene in Blazing Saddles where the good townsfolk of Rock Ridge were excitedly awaiting the arrival of their new sheriff? Then, when he, erm, wasn't quite what they were expecting, their warm welcome instantly evaporated?... Well, I had something of a similar effect on the tour guide!

I think she forgave me by the end of the JerryWorld experience tour!

Seriously though, yeah, we are doing some research into what Houston has to offer for a few days visit. I love doing NFL stadium tours, so look forward to visiting the BrockDome!

Comment

Originally posted by pozbaird View Post
              Ha! I've already done the stadium tour at JerryWorld and when the tour guide exictedly said 'So! Are we all Cowboys fans on the tour!' - I took delight in saying politely 'Nope, I'm a Broncos fan from Scotland!'..... You know that scene in Blazing Saddles where the good townsfolk of Rock Ridge were excitedly awaiting the arrival of their new sheriff? Then, when he, erm, wasn't quite what they were expecting, their warm welcome instantly evaporated?... Well, I had something of a similar effect on the tour guide!

I think she forgave me by the end of the JerryWorld experience tour!

Seriously though, yeah, we are doing some research into what Houston has to offer for a few days visit. I love doing NFL stadium tours, so look forward to visiting the BrockDome!
              Funny stuff.....must have sounded different, Broncos fan from Scotland!

If you are only going for a few days, and you are flexible in scheduling, you may get a game in of some sort (baseball, football, basketball). Space Center is cool. And eat some BBQ too! Geez, I am just repeating myself but in a different way.

Your post did make me do some research of my own.....our paddling camp was 10 years ago at Lake Conroe. Pretty recreational cottage area. I left there in pain and soreness, and critiqued by a great coach....but it was a fabulous time! And as for the humidity, it was not summer yet, but I still remember how we would leave our paddling gear outside overnight to dry out......but it didn't!

:thumb:

Comment

Houston and Dallas are probably my least favorite cities in Texas. I've lived between Dallas and Fort Worth my whole life, but claim Fort Worth rather than Dallas because I love it so much more. Houston can be a very rough city and there are some areas you really need to be careful of. I wouldn't put much stock in downtown because that's not the nicest part of town. There are some cool things to see down there, but be careful to not end up in the wrong area.
                sigpic
                Sig pic by dbfan2007

Originally posted by kishzilla
                You truly are a special kind of strange ha ha ha.
                You damn right!

Songs engineered, mixed, and mastered by yours truly...
                Have It All - Blu3
                Conceited - Blu3
                Intro (Failure Meets Success) - Blu3
                All On You - Blu3

Comment

Working...
                X