Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do The Companies You Work For Restrict Use Of Social Media?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do The Companies You Work For Restrict Use Of Social Media?

    I just mentioned this to a bud here, so I decided to put it out there for discussion. As a youth, we did not have computers, nor obviously did we have mobile (smart) phones and all that comes with them. Hey, we didn't know any better. I think my first experience with computers came in University, when we used punch cards for programs. I was lucky, because as my career evolved, I rode the wave of computers and telecom technology. However, it did not evolve overnight, and we were raised to respect work time, and the social side. Yes, we did have fun, and we did make personal calls, and as things progressed, emails became a common instrument for private communication. But it was limited, and our company and many others monitored the use of such activity.

    And then came the explosion of facebook, texts, tweets, instagrams, etc etc.

    So, in order for your companies to properly and productively serve their customers, and do whatever their mission is all about....do they enforce restricted use of all programs/devices that folks use nowadays? Do they train you that way? Do they discipline folks for overuse? Is it a common discussion with management and staff?

    I only work semi-retired part time, and I drive most of the time. I do not possess a smart phone, though my wife does, and during the few days I work, at most I will make a few texts, or make a short cell call or two. I know that some folks where I work are abusive, but the company has made it clear that usage will not to be tolerated.

    So.....what's going on in your workplace? Is it being managed/monitored? Truth is, it should be (other than on free time). In fact, I can not see companies being profitable if employees abuse their rights. Sure, there is always a reason, and limited usage is cool. Not trying to completely ruin the experience. Just curious.

  • #2
    Where I work social media sites are all blocked, but most folks I know use smart phones to access them. Not sure what a company's options are to thwart mobile access short of video surveillance?!? But yeah, it's definitely a resource killer.

    To touch on the technology itself a bit...maybe I’m in the minority, but I personally feel that social media (and even much of modern technology…especially smart phones) has diminished rather than enhanced the overall enjoyment of life. Don’t get me wrong, technology has certainly simplified and automated so many functions in life…but I’m not completely sold on whether or not that is necessarily a good thing. Many facets of technology I love - medical technology and research, absolutely. Navigational technologies placing you on the fastest route to your destination are wonderful (unless you enjoy sitting in traffic). But there is such a thing as an overreliance on technology. It reminds me of a hilarious bit in the show Futurama, where sometime in the year 3000 all of their technology essentially rebelled against humanity, and the end result was that they were thrust back in the Stone Ages.

    Impending reminiscing ----- I used to love going to music stores and video stores, browsing the aisles for whatever suited my fancy (the sensory perception of being in one was enjoyable). Just holding the physical media in my hand (or seeing it on the shelf) gave me the satisfaction of knowing that it was there, and I owned it. In today’s world, media exists largely in binary ones and zeroes - it’s streamed or downloaded. Sure I may own it…but I own a file. It doesn’t have the same feel or appreciation to me. Sure, it’s infinitely more convenient…but is that REALLY necessary? There now exists an inherent expectation of instant gratification, and for me, it has the unintended side effect of dulling the overall experience. What if you have to work just a little bit more for it (as opposed to pushing a button in your living room)? Would you enjoy it a little bit more?

    Or maybe I’m just growing old?
    To infinity...and beyond.

    Comment


    • #3
      The only restrictions to any sites I have are when I am actually hooked to the company network. It is interesting what is and isn't allowed. I have never just tried different sites to find out. But I can tell you Facebook is allowed.


      I can also tell you Denver Broncos Forums is not.

      I find that comical actually.



      Not a huge deal for me cause I work remotely 98% of the time. The only time I am actually hooked to their network is when I have to be for downloading/uploading and accessing internal info.
      Last edited by FL BRONCO; 06-10-2016, 04:48 PM.
      My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
        The only restrictions to any sites I have are when I am actually hooked to the company network. It is interesting what is and isn't allowed. I have never just tried different sites to find out. But I can tell you Facebook is allowed.


        I can also tell you Denver Broncos Forums is not.

        I find that comical actually.
        Your network tech is clearly a P*tsy!

        Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
          Your network tech is clearly a P*tsy!
          LOL, Have to spread it. I just figured he was a Raiders fan.
          My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
            Where I work social media sites are all blocked, but most folks I know use smart phones to access them. Not sure what a company's options are to thwart mobile access short of video surveillance?!? But yeah, it's definitely a resource killer.

            To touch on the technology itself a bit...maybe I’m in the minority, but I personally feel that social media (and even much of modern technology…especially smart phones) has diminished rather than enhanced the overall enjoyment of life. Don’t get me wrong, technology has certainly simplified and automated so many functions in life…but I’m not completely sold on whether or not that is necessarily a good thing. Many facets of technology I love - medical technology and research, absolutely. Navigational technologies placing you on the fastest route to your destination are wonderful (unless you enjoy sitting in traffic). But there is such a thing as an overreliance on technology. It reminds me of a hilarious bit in the show Futurama, where sometime in the year 3000 all of their technology essentially rebelled against humanity, and the end result was that they were thrust back in the Stone Ages.

            Impending reminiscing ----- I used to love going to music stores and video stores, browsing the aisles for whatever suited my fancy (the sensory perception of being in one was enjoyable). Just holding the physical media in my hand (or seeing it on the shelf) gave me the satisfaction of knowing that it was there, and I owned it. In today’s world, media exists largely in binary ones and zeroes - it’s streamed or downloaded. Sure I may own it…but I own a file. It doesn’t have the same feel or appreciation to me. Sure, it’s infinitely more convenient…but is that REALLY necessary? There now exists an inherent expectation of instant gratification, and for me, it has the unintended side effect of dulling the overall experience. What if you have to work just a little bit more for it (as opposed to pushing a button in your living room)? Would you enjoy it a little bit more?

            Or maybe I’m just growing old?
            Very interesting perspective, and one that I appreciate. Sure, folks can point to my age for thinking the same way, but in all fairness, many of us not old enough to have tried out the new gizmos, and attempted to enhance our lives through their usage. Given that, I am very sure if I was young, I would see things a little differently.

            But sure, your music store example brings back such great memories. And just like books, there is something very cool about the feel and the texture, and the ownership that make me think we can and should consider both worlds....not just the new one.

            Comment


            • #7
              I guess one of the very obvious issues I have is when a service person is not fully engaged with a customer, as they are distracted by their "device". I am quite sure that most small business owners are very cognizant of what each of their staff are up to. My gut tells me they monitor much more so via personal observation. Hey, not a lot of small biz that can get by with employee downtime.

              Comment


              • #8
                The company I work for I'm quite certain monitors even I free time, since I work for a major bank. I've never chosen myself to use social media on my work desktop, nor do I use my phone on the floor or have it out. Suppose to be something your fired for on either aspect were I work - although I've yet to ever see someone fired for this.

                While it can cause an issue with productivity in some businesses, other types of business would consider either a huge risk.
                sigpic
                Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
                Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                  Very interesting perspective, and one that I appreciate. Sure, folks can point to my age for thinking the same way, but in all fairness, many of us not old enough to have tried out the new gizmos, and attempted to enhance our lives through their usage. Given that, I am very sure if I was young, I would see things a little differently.

                  But sure, your music store example brings back such great memories. And just like books, there is something very cool about the feel and the texture, and the ownership that make me think we can and should consider both worlds....not just the new one.
                  It’s difficult seeing the crumbling decay of the old world…books are a perfect example. I wish the old and new could somehow both coexist. Hey, I know…I’ll fire up the virtual reality and go read a newspaper.

                  Sorry, didn’t mean to rant the night away. I do need to get back to work however.
                  To infinity...and beyond.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    My company has a whole separate wifi network for personal devices so you can access social media. We don't restrict it at all.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
                      My company has a whole separate wifi network for personal devices so you can access social media. We don't restrict it at all.
                      Sounds progressive in ways. I believe some companies foster an environment of trust and support by allowing their employees this sort of freedom, but know the type of productive people they are hiring. Quite possibly the high tech / marketing / creative and innovative places......who know their staff can come up with valuable products/solutions on their preferred schedule. Then again, I believe there is a lot of employee abuse out there, most likely in larger companies who can take a hit to their bottom line, or to companies who do not supervise well.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X