Italian Food/Restaurants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian Food/Restaurants

I am a proud canuck, with Italian roots. We grew up with great Italian food. My mother made fabulous spaghetti and meatballs, among other delights. My grandmother made amazing Italian food, who along with one of her friends, made the most incredible ravioli I can imagine! Those ravioli were so big and filling that I could only eat one, and even the men were limited to about three each. I do not remember the exact taste because of how far back that was, but I would love to go back in time and try them again!

Because of the quality and authenticity of food preparation, I never got into canned Italian food, and would never think of eating spaghetti at a restaurant. Just didn't seem right, given we were spoiled in that sense.

And over the years I have had plenty of opportunity to enjoy great meals at Italian restaurants in various places in this world.....Chicago (deep dish!!), an array of other cities/countries, and yes, across Italy. But the good news, even in the city where I live, and not too far away (at a national park we like to visit almost every summer), great Italian food can be found! And therein lies my happy finding, a local restaurant that makes amazing spaghetti and meatballs.....so good I look forward to visiting there for that dish alone!

We discovered this rather average looking restaurant/sports bar a few years back, although I had heard about it for years. And it has now become a staple in our household when it comes to places we like to eat. My wife has a favourite, Chili Cream Prawns, a fabulous pasta dish, with just the right ingredients! The meals are just over $20 and you get salad and tasty, fresh bread sticks.....and basically enough food for 2 meals! Yes, we always take home about as much as we consume.

And to change things up, next time we visit I am going to try another dish, not to mention their pizzas are well known in the city. Oh yes.....pizza. I will stop here, because I have a mad love for most pizza!

So sorry Mom and Grandma.....up there. I have finally found spaghetti and meatballs that compare with yours. And that means only one thing.....it is GREAT!

Italy has the best italian food ever.... nothing compares. When I was younger I worked in the travel industry, and got to go to Italy on the boss's dime. Not quite as enjoyable as other's I'm sure who went with their loved ones or spouses. I went alone, but made friends to hang out with throughout the trip. Didn't get to see the main touristy spots, aside from Rome .... I visited the Abruzzo region of Italy, and aside from the beauty of the region, the most amazing food and wine I've ever had before or since.....

I believe I gained a good ten pounds that trip, have never had food in my life that compared to the meals I had that trip. Oh my, did they feed us well. I never liked Salami before that trip either, and came home with an addiction to Salami. Although have never found any that tasted half as good as what caused my addiction.

You have made me hungry, and I just finished breakfast.... As far as Pizza, I love Lou Malnati's based out of Chicago, order them on dry ice sometimes to be shipped. They're bringing a Lou Malnati's to Phoenix I've heard, can't wait.
    Last edited by Sophia23; 07-17-2016, 11:13 AM.
    sigpic
    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
    Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
    Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

Oh Italian food...Yummy!!!:thumb:
      sigpic2020 HOFER!!!!
      Adopted Bronco: Justin Simmons 2017,2018 ,2019
      PATS FANS COME TO THIS BOARD BECAUSE THEY RESPECT AND APPRECIATE US

Comment

There are a few very good Italian restaurants in Denver, but nothing compares to my Grandma's spaghetti sauce!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
          Italy has the best italian food ever.... nothing compares. When I was younger I worked in the travel industry, and got to go to Italy on the boss's dime. Not quite as enjoyable as other's I'm sure who went with their loved ones or spouses. I went alone, but made friends to hang out with throughout the trip. Didn't get to see the main touristy spots, aside from Rome .... I visited the Abruzzo region of Italy, and aside from the beauty of the region, the most amazing food and wine I've ever had before or since.....

I believe I gained a good ten pounds that trip, have never had food in my life that compared to the meals I had that trip. Oh my, did they feed us well. I never liked Salami before that trip either, and came home with an addiction to Salami. Although have never found any that tasted half as good as what caused my addiction.

You have made me hungry, and I just finished breakfast.... As far as Pizza, I love Lou Malnati's based out of Chicago, order them on dry ice sometimes to be shipped. They're bringing a Lou Malnati's to Phoenix I've heard, can't wait.
          You are making me think more about Italy.....it is so beautiful! I lean towards Tuscany in general (although Rome is fantastic and Venice is so different), but the next visit will be to The Amalfi Coast.

As for the food and the scenery, there is an interesting movie called "The Trip To Italy" with Steve Coogan. It is not for everyone, but I really enjoyed the restaurants they visited, the views and watching the chefs create various meals.

Comment

Originally posted by 80stheman View Post
            There are a few very good Italian restaurants in Denver, but nothing compares to my Grandma's spaghetti sauce!
            The sauce is sooooo important!!!:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
              The sauce is sooooo important!!!:thumb:
              Grandma used to make her own pasta, too, but it's the sauce that makes it!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 80stheman View Post
                Grandma used to make her own pasta, too, but it's the sauce that makes it!
                My standard is if the sauce is good enough to eat on it's own, all by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                  My standard is if the sauce is good enough to eat on it's own, all by itself.
                  I will agree with you folks......the better the sauce, the better the Italian food. That applies to pasta dishes, pizza and so on. That's what I would describe as the differentiator, although there is much more to pastas and pizzas than the sauce.

Then again, a perfect salad, or fresh baked bread, along with the right glass of wine, can get by without any sauce at all!

Comment

FTR.....just had the second half of my meal from Saturday night. Made for a wonderful supper!

We got to get back there soon!!

Comment

MmMmmmm.... now i'm craving some good Italian!!
                      *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                      *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                      *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

My favorite type of food. I used to go to an Italian restaurant where the owners fixed us garlic bread for free. Not just any garlic bread. Let me tell you, there is nothing like a homemade garlic bread prepared by someone who learned it in Sicily (where she was from) that is second to none. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. She gave me the recipe and I can't even come close to replicating it, even though the only ingredients are cheese, oregano, oil, garlic and bread. Unfortunately for me, they took the family business to Italy.

I will say one thing though. As much as a looooooooove Italian food, I do not like tomato sauce in my pasta. Don't ask. I'm funny that way.

Comment

Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
                          My favorite type of food. I used to go to an Italian restaurant where the owners fixed us garlic bread for free. Not just any garlic bread. Let me tell you, there is nothing like a homemade garlic bread prepared by someone who learned it in Sicily (where she was from) that is second to none. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. She gave me the recipe and I can't even come close to replicating it, even though the only ingredients are cheese, oregano, oil, garlic and bread. Unfortunately for me, they took the family business to Italy.

I will say one thing though. As much as a looooooooove Italian food, I do not like tomato sauce in my pasta. Don't ask. I'm funny that way.
                          Love your story bud, but you got to change that picture.......if that's a clown (and not one of your typical "friendly" pics) you got to make it go away. Some of us are not into the clowns!!!

Seriously, there is nothing better than fresh food made by the best!

:thumb:

Comment

Working...
                          X