People Are Still Kind And Generous And Caring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People Are Still Kind And Generous And Caring

We certainly hear about what's wrong with the world. The media has a job to do, to sell, to keep customers interested, and unfortunately the best bang for the buck seems to be bad news.

Not to dwell on that for another second, the GREAT news is that every time I hear about a tragedy or folks with bad luck, I also hear about an over abundance of support, and generosity. Good folks rush to the scene. I know that be true of canucks, and I believe that is the case in democratic countries all over this world. Every time there is a wrong, I believe our human spirit makes it right. Someone has to evacuate and people put them up and provide them with food and clothing. Someone is sick, and people rush to their side. Someone needs to pay some bills, and funds are activated quicker than the news gets out. A poor little puppy is harmed by a mean person, and immediately the dog is rescued, cared for, and "too many" people are looking to adopt, because they have more love to give than that dog even needs. And these are just the smaller stories of this planet. Every day, every hour, good people are doing good things for others......over and over......and the news will never be known.

I have far too many big stories to expand upon. I am a bit of "softy" in some ways, and whenever I see people from other countries/places look out for one another, it makes me happy in a way I can not describe. People accepting strangers, who may even have differences, because it is the right thing to do......and a bond is built that will never be broken.

I believe in the human spirit. I believe it is FAR more powerful than all the bad news we read.

It really does renew faith in humanity sometimes when we witness incredible acts of selflessness, altruism, and kindness, toward others. I require that faith renewal more frequently than others, I suppose, living next door to Los Angeles. More often than not, I get no “thank you” for holding the door open for someone, or no “hello” in return for saying hi to a stranger (just a weird glare that seems to impart the message “why are you even talking to me”). It’s common for pedestrians to just run right into you on the sidewalk and not say a word, and witness an incredibly rude customer berating some nice retail worker because the store’s policies didn’t suit their particular needs and demands. I see it all the time and it makes me cringe…but, it also has another more sinister effect. It becomes contagious to others and spreads like some jerk-making plague.

But muck-raking aside, you’re absolutely right…the worst circumstances will often showcase the very best in humanity’s response. Good will overcome, and will triumph over evil (WWII is an extreme example). Despite the many of the roaming rude and inconsiderate, there are still good people…and I appreciate them even more due to where I live; like diamonds in the ruff. They brighten my day and renew my faith in humanity…when sometimes that faith wavers.
    To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
      It really does renew faith in humanity sometimes when we witness incredible acts of selflessness, altruism, and kindness, toward others. I require that faith renewal more frequently than others, I suppose, living next door to Los Angeles. More often than not, I get no “thank you” for holding the door open for someone, or no “hello” in return for saying hi to a stranger (just a weird glare that seems to impart the message “why are you even talking to me”). It’s common for pedestrians to just run right into you on the sidewalk and not say a word, and witness an incredibly rude customer berating some nice retail worker because the store’s policies didn’t suit their particular needs and demands. I see it all the time and it makes me cringe…but, it also has another more sinister effect. It becomes contagious to others and spreads like some jerk-making plague.

But muck-raking aside, you’re absolutely right…the worst circumstances will often showcase the very best in humanity’s response. Good will overcome, and will triumph over evil (WWII is an extreme example). Despite the many of the roaming rude and inconsiderate, there are still good people…and I appreciate them even more due to where I live; like diamonds in the ruff. They brighten my day and renew my faith in humanity…when sometimes that faith wavers.
      Why am I not surprised that you responded?

:thumb:

Comment

What if the media only reported good news? Do you think it would influence popular culture?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
          What if the media only reported good news? Do you think it would influence popular culture?
          Not to get off topic too far, I think initially it may not sell, therefore it may not get entrenched. Too much money on the table. Same old same old, the rich want their supply of cash, and good news is not as always exciting most of the time. At least that's what we've been told.

I see it different. I love good news! I would be ok with a lot of good news, although the news should reflect some balance. We should know what is going on, and that does include bad news.

But in my perfect world, I would want to know what is going on, but I also would love to hear more of the good things that happened around them....like the acts of bravery and the support that people gave. For me, stations like CNN become unwatchable once something bad happens, because they take it to another level, and they continue with "breaking news" that is in our faces, and often negative. They try to get us worked up, and watching.

Now to keep this on topic.....I do believe more good news should be the goal, as long as it reports reality, yes good and not so good. But it's the emphasis on bad vs good that needs a shift in my books. When young people hear about the good side of stories, I believe they get taught a great lesson, that this planet, with all its flaws, functions best when we take care of each other. Not to go into depth on any topic, but I will always remember the strength and support of people after 9/11. I loved how Canadians took in Americans when the flights were cancelled. They have bonds that will last a lifetime. That was beautiful to see. And for sure, in the aftermath, I loved how Americans took their own actions of kindness and care. Yes, tragic story....but so much love that reflected the strength of people, no matter how trying.

We will need to keep this positive folks.....as this is not the place for heavier discussion. But I believe Ran was very much on topic, and perhaps I went a little far.
          Last edited by CanDB; 07-31-2016, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
            Further to.....little interest in this thread. Not just the media that is unexcited about it.

Comment

I think more reporting of good news as headlines would affect culture in a huge way.

less headlines of death and messed up things we really don't need to hear about all the time.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X