Home Sweet Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Sweet Home

Just returned from a nice vacation. We love travelling.....well, the being there part, not all the packing and airport stuff, and for me, not the bad turbulence (been there done that). If my wife had her way we'd travel more often, and go to the farthest points. Again, once there, I love the sights, sounds, smells, tastes, cultures and anything else that passes our way.

But no matter how good the experience, I always miss home a little. Being a canuck, any sign of Canada makes me instantly happy. Even on our trip to Alaska, a big part of the cruise is in beautiful British Columbia, and even in Alaska, we would see BC not too far away at times, and I can't help but feel warmth when in the midst of my homeland.

Same goes for whenever the plane lands in our city......I always feel a touch of happiness, just because. All these years. All this love for my home. It is one of the greatest of loves.

A trip or vacation sounds good right about now. Where'd ya go?

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
      A trip or vacation sounds good right about now. Where'd ya go?
      Thx for asking Brent.....we did an Alaskan cruise, starting out from Vancouver. It was fabulous! We lucked out, because the weather was really good.....not so for many of late. Glaciers/mountains/really good excursions (went on one with people involved with The Deadliest Catch). Too much food, and lousy tv/internet (ha ha....it was actually nice not being "hooked" for a week), but the scenery easily made up for it!

Just found out one of our other good buds here - Lumiere, was just out that way as well. I guess it's a Broncos fan preseason getaway place.
      Last edited by CanDB; 08-29-2016, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        Thx for asking Brent.....we did an Alaskan cruise, starting out from Vancouver. It was fabulous! We lucked out, because the weather was really good.....not so for many of late. Glaciers/mountains/really good excursions (went on one with people involved with The Deadliest Catch). Too much food, and lousy tv/internet (ha ha....it was actually nice not being "hooked" for a week), but the scenery easily made up for it!

Just found out one of our other good buds here - Lumiere, was just out that way as well. I guess it's a Broncos fan preseason getaway place.
        Happy we toured the same beautiful countries, my friend! Just a week apart! Too much good food indeed...they had to roll me off the ship

Did you guys stop in Ketchikan? That was our gnarliest port excursion...my wife and I boarded a DHC-2 floatplane and flew into Misty Fjords. The scenery is just beyond description...and the salmon were everywhere in that town!

Glad you guys had a good time and had good weather (we lucked out too)! Can't wait to see more of British Columbia, the Yukon, and Alaska...everywhere you look is just a vintage postcard. Bald eagles perched on streetlights, orcas and humpback whales, glaciers, waterfalls, beautiful snow capped mountains...just incredible.

Would love to see some of your pics!
        To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
          Happy we toured the same beautiful countries, my friend! Just a week apart! Too much good food indeed...they had to roll me off the ship

Did you guys stop in Ketchikan? That was our gnarliest port excursion...my wife and I boarded a DHC-2 floatplane and flew into Misty Fjords. The scenery is just beyond description...and the salmon were everywhere in that town!

Glad you guys had a good time and had good weather (we lucked out too)! Can't wait to see more of British Columbia, the Yukon, and Alaska...everywhere you look is just a vintage postcard. Bald eagles perched on streetlights, orcas and humpback whales, glaciers, waterfalls, beautiful snow capped mountains...just incredible.

Would love to see some of your pics!
          Yes we did Ketchikan. My wife really liked that town. That's where we did our "Deadliest Catch" excursion. Really great tour indeed!! But you went one step better my friend. Taking the plane was the best way for sure!!!

But everything you say tells me we were on the same trip for the most part.

We have so many pics, even some good ones of bald eagles (those were tricky to get as they flew). I have to delete a ton of shots. I am sure you have as many or more great ones. We can chat offline if you ever want to see some, but like I say, my gut tells me you have the same wonderful picture book.

:thumb:

Comment

Sustainable...My Word Of The Day

Sustainable is a power packed word. It is so relevant to many things we hope for. I for one, hope for a sustainable group of relationships, economic situation - including revenue streams and investments, and much more. The word is so important, because when you ask the question, "Is it sustainable?" you are basically conducting a very significant evaluation, of what may be. Will it withstand all future influences? Will it stay strong when it faces issues? Will it enjoy a healthiness that is needed to prevail, thru thick and thin?

In the bigger picture, will we as a planet be able to carry on with what we know and depend upon today? Will food be prevalent? Will energy be available? Will our economies be vibrant? Will the quality of environment satisfy our basic needs?

I am not recommending that anyone map our their futures around this word/consideration. But I suggest we all take the time, here and there, to blend it in with our vision. It's is a heavyweight in terms of the divisions of life's weight classes. Failure to understand its meaning has been to the demise of many organizations, economies, and personal relations.

In the end I feel fortunate to have a few, what appears, "sustainable" aspects going my way. Of course, the test of time is fundamental to this exercise, and sometimes we get fooled or misled and wrap ourselves around those exciting short term "mirages", because after all, they look good now! I've learned over my years that the great people and the great corporations and the great athletes typically have one common characteristic.......sustainablility. The ability to last. The long term reliability that we all seek.

Comment

I don't think this thread has sustainability......

Comment

Lately (past few? years) there have been a number of "buzzwords" that kind of annoy me ... off the top of my head "GMO free" or "organic" are a couple of them. In the context of politics "sustainability" has also become one of those words.

It is very hard to be against "sustainability". In fact, the less you know about it, the better it sounds. That is true of lots of ideas. The questions that come to be connected with sustainable development or sustainable growth or just sustainability are genuine and deeply felt and very complex. The combination of deep feeling and complexity breeds buzzwords, and sustainability has certainly become a buzzword.

I can possibly elaborate more but I am up against the clock and a Dr. appointment right now so it will have to be later. At least that is something to chew on?
                Last edited by brianmcfarlane; 09-01-2016, 04:05 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                  Lately (past few? years) there have a number of "buzzwords" that kind of annoy me ... off the top of my head "GMO free" or "organic" are a couple of them. In the context of politics "sustainability" has also become one of those words.

It is very hard to be against "sustainability". In fact, the less you know about it, the better it sounds. That is true of lots of ideas. The questions that come to be connected with sustainable development or sustainable growth or just sustainability are genuine and deeply felt and very complex. The combination of deep feeling and complexity breeds buzzwords, and sustainability has certainly become a buzzword.

I can possibly elaborate more but I am up against the clock and a Dr. appointment right now so it will have to be later. At least that is something to chew on?
                  It may be a buzzword to some, but for me, it packs a lot of meaning/depth. In simple terms it says, do not invest too much into things or people without looker a little deeper. Definitely be aware of glossy vs deeper content. And in search for long term happiness and wise choices, do your homework. Do not put too much stock into solutions that have little in the way of lasting qualities.

And yes, maybe the word is over-exposed as well (depending on where you get your info), but do some smart diversification. Too many folks have paid for putting too much stock into too few things/people....those who do not match up well with long term reliability/performance/value.

Matter of opinion.
                  Last edited by CanDB; 09-01-2016, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X