If You Build It................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If You Build It................

We built a good arena, and the great news was that it helped us get an NHL team back, and provided us a facility to draw top performers! Then we built a new stadium, and before you know it, more great concerts, last year's Women's World Soccer championship (with The USA team based here for the beginning part of the tournament), and this weekend's outdoor NHL alumni/regular season game between The Edmonton Oilers and our Jets. I love the opportunities provided us, a city of about 800,000.

And part of the stadium deal got us a big, beautiful gym, across the street at the U of M.....my alma mater. I love working out before they close off parking for us, and watching as thousands of customers walk around the site, have a bite to eat, partake in all the pregame festivities. So cool.

And just 2 years ago, The Canadian Museum for Human Rights opened here, and not only made a beautiful statement about what we believe in, it has opened the door for people everywhere to come visit.

Whenever people get all grouchy about spending lots of money on new facilities, I have to ask them if they appreciate what may come of it. The ongoing benefits. The visitors. The entertainment/information that can be gained. The energy and pride they can bring.

So yes folks,

If You Build It................

If You Write It.......................

Comment

Put In A Good Word For Someone Who Deserves It

I was just thinking about the special times when people put in a good word for me. Probably the best job I ever had, I did not have to go for an interview because the selection committee chose to give me the job without having to compete. To this day, I am quite convinced it was thru the help of those on the project team that I was on (whose job it was to introduce a whole new world to one of our biggest departments). I remember the project manager saying, "there's Dave's new office" as they redesigned some floors in the downtown site. This before the job was posted. I never asked about it, but when the VP's call came in, I sensed it had a lot to do with several of the great people on my team. Sure, I had a pretty solid resume for that position, and was integral in some of the transition activity, but it is never an easy task to be interviewed by a senior management team.

There are a number of times I can recall when someone/some group put in a good word for me. Whether it be career related, a team I was on, perhaps even a girl I liked, many things have worked in my favour. In some specific cases, I can never thank those folks enough! And to be sure, I do not want a free pass over someone else more deserving, or for other reasons I can think of.

Conversely, I have had the chance many times to help out someone who deserved a break, and as far as I can tell, I did whatever I could to help them out.

There can be an issue however, if we help out when maybe we should not. Just because we know the person in question, does not mean we should cause others to lose out. And just because we know them, does not mean we should break rules for them.....however, breaking rules does apply in my books, if meeting reasonable criteria.

I guess this is all fresh because a situation at work has caused me to speak up for someone, a person I hardly know. But I feel she is getting a bad shake, given the info I have. Even so, I am being cautious about the facts in this case, because I must follow the same code as I expect others to......making sure that assumptions do not leap ahead of details. Fairness is a critical factor......and that we adhere to fact, as opposed to popularity.

In the bigger picture, I am ok with helping out those we know. Lets be honest, that is to be expected. But if I am true to my gut, I will look out for those I may not even know. Those who are not so fortunate, but need a break. Those who have few if any on their side. Those who we cross paths with, and quite simply, just need someone to tell the truth about an incident.

All in all, I suggest you remember those who have stepped up for you. It may not have been an easy task. They may even have taken a risk, for you. And sad to say, I am quite sure I do not even know all those who have helped me along the way.
      Last edited by CanDB; 11-23-2016, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Good advice. Too often the squeaky wheel gets their way these days. We need to point out good work more often
        sigpic

Comment

I am going to put in a good word for my pal EddieMac right now! Give him a raise and an extra week's vacation. :thumb:
          sigpic

Comment

I put in a word for anyone who gives me CPs Also the following people:

My mom
            My brother
            My dad
            My stepmom
            My Facebook friends
            My ex-professor and best friend Mr. Zera
            "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
              I am going to put in a good word for my pal EddieMac right now! Give him a raise and an extra week's vacation. :thumb:
              I wish we got those things
              sigpic
              2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
                I wish we got those things
                Think of the good news if someone complains about your services..... you can remind them of that age old saying, "what do you expect for nothing??":dance:

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                  I guess this is all fresh because a situation at work has caused me to speak up for someone, a person I hardly know. But I feel she is getting a bad shake, given the info I have..........
                  I just want to report that, I just learned the young lady did get a fair shake after all. Happy about that.

Comment

I built a website dedicated to those who enjoy the outdoors. You are all welcome to visit it at www.mountainthoughts.com.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by qbronco View Post
                      I built a website dedicated to those who enjoy the outdoors. You are all welcome to visit it at www.mountainthoughts.com.
                      Pretty cool bud!

:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                        Pretty cool bud!

Thank you, Can!

Even though I do not post here much anymore, I still enjoy reading your posts and love your insight.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by qbronco View Post
                          Thank you, Can!

Even though I do not post here much anymore, I still enjoy reading your posts and love your insight.
                          Well, if I don't see you around, at least I know where to find you. Again, cool site!

Comment

This is re: football, but just the same. I am putting in a good word for Paxton Lynch......he is nowhere near a bust (a term I distance myself from) as far as I can tell. And it will interesting to hear others (those who doubt him) talk about him when he puts it all together.

Comment

Sometimes We Forget The Good Things

I doubt that the masses all sit back and think about how wonderful it is to have a warm, well-lit dwelling in the cold of winter

or a vehicle that minimizes the time and distance between places and people

or good food on our table

or opportunities to better ourselves

or careers that others would love to have

or family and friends who are invaluable

or entertainment at our fingertips

or rights that many countries do not provide

or support from others in our communities when situations grow difficult

or so many good things that one could easily take for granted

Not I. Every once in a while I take a moment, to honour privilege/opportunity/love......and all that is right in my world.

Comment

Working...
                              X