The Real Difference Between Snow And Rain.....A Shovel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Real Difference Between Snow And Rain.....A Shovel

Where I live the weather is described as a cold continental climate with a short, very warm summer and a long, cold winter. Generally quite windy but with much sunny skies. Snow depths of greater than 1 cm are seen on about 132 days each year. I would add that we have a nice blend of seasons, and to be honest, some years of late have been surprisingly nice (climate change perhaps, but more el nino / la nina related).

As for seasons, well now, when it's warm it can rain and when it's cold, it can snow. Rain is ok in general, as long as it does not come in monsoon fashion or for days on end. Or with hail and other ornery weather! Flooded streets and even basements are not a good bi product. BUT snow brings a different set of issues, including icy/messy streets.....and the seemingly never ending process of snow removal. That for me is the #1 difference between the cold stuff and the rain. Unless of course you let the snow pile, or you have someone cleaning your driveway/sidewalk.....it can become a burden. In that sense it is so weird, rain falls and not too much usually follows.....snow comes and we are getting the shovels/snow blowers out, pretty much every time. It's a very manual relationship.....snow=shovel.

Again, some folks ignore it. I have seen neighbours over the years just ride on top of it, and sort of pack it down. That's fine......I guess. Not great when you get a big dump. Can cause issues with the concrete. Plus it doesn't exactly look too nice. Seems like those folks are the same ones who let the yard go in summer. Hey....it's your choice.

I like snow for many reasons......given I have lived my whole life with it. There is something special about a warm winter's night with some soft, fluffy snow floating down. There is a wintery aroma about it. Many good memories of a happy night with good people, going for a walk or a skate, enjoying a mug of hot chocolate or maybe something a wee bit stronger. And I expect it at Christmas....which is why it's weird to be away that time of year in a warmer place. Just not quite the same.

But truth be told, now when I see snow in the forecast the first I think of is the road conditions, and the shovelling. And wow, if you know what it's like lifting heavy, wet snow, you pray that this powder is of the driest content.

To all the outdoors types who love winter activities, good on you. I was there too when young. Hockey, skiing, curling....all linked with winter......and whatever comes with it. And because I love Christmas, I will be fine with some more of the white stuff through December. But after that......hmmm, when are we going away again???
    Last edited by CanDB; 11-24-2016, 11:50 AM.

Its late November , its raining here.... Where is my dam snow?

Need snow on Christmas
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
      Its late November , its raining here.... Where is my dam snow?

Need snow on Christmas
      You should visit me every Christmas.....you will have snow!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        You should visit me every Christmas.....you will have snow!!!
        What I wouldn't give for just two seasons. Just a magical dusting of snow around the holidays.

Send some of that wonderful cold my way, Can.
        To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
          What I wouldn't give for just two seasons. Just a magical dusting of snow around the holidays.

Send some of that wonderful cold my way, Can.
          I will my friend, but you must send us some of that wonderful Cal weather as well!! California is pretty awesome!!

Comment

To me rain is annoying to be in mostly, at least in this part of the country because it is almost always cold, I imagine it is always cold in Canada. Rain is a necessity though and I do like getting showers for the lawn, I just don't like being in it. Until I was an adult I had never been in the southern US like Florida so the first time I ever went to Florida and it rained I was blown away that it was at least warm, like a shower and I didn't mind being in it so much.
            Snow I like, most of the time. I like being in it when there is not much wind with it. I like having all the seasons which we pretty much have here. One big advantage of having a winter is it gets rid of the bugs unlike the always warm climates.
            I am a native to Colorado and I don't ski ... well I skied once; hated it. I like sledding/tubing though. I actually just got back home from watching my 15 year old grandson play hockey ... scored a goal and got robbed of another goal because of a supposed high stick. My 2 grandsons - one plays in the USHL for the Fargo Force - and granddaughter play all year round so it is not exactly specific to winter.

I kind of like to shovel snow ... good exercise, of course here on the front range we don't get gobs of it all the time, once in a while we'll get feet of it but mostly just a few inches that melts in a day or two.
            But in our town and most every town/city I know you are obligated to clear the sidewalk in front of your house. Is it not like that in Winnipeg? Also you risk lawsuits if somebody slips and falls on your property if it is due to snow/ice on the walkways.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
              To me rain is annoying to be in mostly, at least in this part of the country because it is almost always cold, I imagine it is always cold in Canada. Rain is a necessity though and I do like getting showers for the lawn, I just don't like being in it. Until I was an adult I had never been in the southern US like Florida so the first time I ever went to Florida and it rained I was blown away that it was at least warm, like a shower and I didn't mind being in it so much.
              Snow I like, most of the time. I like being in it when there is not much wind with it. I like having all the seasons which we pretty much have here. One big advantage of having a winter is it gets rid of the bugs unlike the always warm climates.
              I am a native to Colorado and I don't ski ... well I skied once; hated it. I like sledding/tubing though. I actually just got back home from watching my 15 year old grandson play hockey ... scored a goal and got robbed of another goal because of a supposed high stick. My 2 grandsons - one plays in the USHL for the Fargo Force - and granddaughter play all year round so it is not exactly specific to winter.

I kind of like to shovel snow ... good exercise, of course here on the front range we don't get gobs of it all the time, once in a while we'll get feet of it but mostly just a few inches that melts in a day or two.
              But in our town and most every town/city I know you are obligated to clear the sidewalk in front of your house. Is it not like that in Winnipeg? Also you risk lawsuits if somebody slips and falls on your property if it is due to snow/ice on the walkways.
              I've never really experienced warm rain, although I've been to many warm climate locations. Have to try it out!

And yes, the cold weather has its benefits....no bugs, no summer type storms, no excessive overheating/sweating.

I don't mind shovelling, even though we have a blower. I seldom use it. As mentioned, it's the wet snow that can be back breaking!

If I had been born near mountains, I would have been a skier! We have small mountains in our province, but a little too far. Used to go on school/work trips. My best skiing was in the Canadian Rockies.

And even though we shovel pretty religiously around here, I do not believe we have any laws about keeping the sidewalks clear (I'll have to read up on that). I live on a cul de sac, and do not have a sidewalk, but have owned properties with them, and kept them clear like most other folks, trying to be a good citizen.

The city has an extensive snow plowing program that determines when to plow streets/sidewalks, etc. based on a priority system. We are pretty good at snow removal in this locale.

And yes, hockey is a year round sport for some time now, even in the deep of summer heat. Good to hear that your grandchildren are wrapped up in the game. It is a beautiful game to play.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                I will my friend, but you must send us some of that wonderful Cal weather as well!! California is pretty awesome!!
                Done and done :thumb: - that's win win for everybody!
                To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Yikes......our first winter storm starts tonight, and goes on tomorrow. High winds and lots of snow!! And I am supposed to be driving tomorrow....

Got the snow blower primed up, and all the shovels at hand. Winter tires are in pretty good shape. But being ready and actually dealing with the weather are two different things. Warm, cozy home sounds so much better!!

Comment

Could not go to my PT driving job. Snow and wind all day! Some highways closed.

Boooooooooooooooooooooo (enough whining, back to do another shovel.....every 2-3 hours will do).

Comment

I will take a "warm" snow over a cold rain any day and twice in Canada

Of course, that's a problem I sort of have to go out of my way to look for these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                        I will take a "warm" snow over a cold rain any day and twice in Canada

Of course, that's a problem I sort of have to go out of my way to look for these days.
                        Now to be clear, I am not sure I have felt warm snow......in fact, I just came in from another shovel, and when I had brushed against a tree, I got some cold snow down my neck!!! Yes, it was pretty cold!!

But I understand the coldness of rain, and I am definitely not one for heavy, cold rain!!! Now I am pretty cool with some drizzle, or a light, steady rain when conditions are dry. Hmmmm.....not sure if I can pick and choose.

Well, another shovel in an hour or so. I will be checking for warm snow......

Comment

Warm snow? Everything is relative but my guess is that Canada does not have warm snow ... relatively.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                            Warm snow? Everything is relative but my guess is that Canada does not have warm snow ... relatively.
                            Maybe.....and then again, is it possible that Canada, with its cold in winter, makes snow feel "relatively" warm?

Comment

Ok, ok, ok, just to be clear, it's not an invention of somebody from So. Cal. that has only ever seen snow on TV, neither is it yellow.

"Warm", as in warm temperatures for snow but not warm enough to rain, meant in contrast with my original post about cold rain. There is that fine line on the thermometer between the two but the difference is so much bigger in how they are perceived, the snow being dry and generally not of much consequence while the cold rain just zaps life out of you.

Settled.

Comment

Working...
                              X