Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are We As A Species Losing Will Power?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Are We As A Species Losing Will Power?

    I will just scrape the surface of this topic, because it would involved far too many variables.....but if I may, sometimes I really wonder if we are losing the strength when it involves our will to resist. This thought arose as I binge watched another Netflix series. You see, most of us grew up in a world where you watched one show per week, and then had to wait through "off" weeks, and summer, for the next adventure. Nowadays folks can not only watch a season in a few days, but perhaps the life of a show, many years of shows in fact, in a matter of months, maybe even weeks.....dare I imagine in days???

    Growing up when I did, patience was all relative. Hey, I was happy to wait on things, because quite frankly, I did not know better. Remember, back then there were no computers, or smart gadgets.....heck some of us were born before the television found its place in our homes!! We used to send letters to people, and hope for a response in a couple of weeks.....that would take seconds now!

    And wow, I sure have problems when my wife leaves some sweet things in and around the kitchen! She says dark chocolate is good for you, but in limited amounts....so she does the worst thing imaginable, leaving a bowl of chocolate pieces in the kitchen, and then reminds me to only have one chunk per day! Cmon, that's cruel! And now she is counting them!! Don't even put them out if you are going to play that game!! I have a solution.....one more trip to the gym each week, and perhaps hiding some chocolate where she will never find it.

    The good news, I hardly drink alcohol anymore.....then again, I enjoy a cold one on a hot day, or a strong one when my mind needs some calming. Now, it took me a while to get to this stage, and yes, I finally woke up to the reality that too much of it was not good for my long term strategy (of life). So in my case, I guess will power is still flickering, but it is tied in with other factors.....like staying alive and healthy.

    I have multiple theories about all of this, and will power is not the only item under the microscope. But at times I do believe that when you have too much (and yes, many of us do), or it is too easy to get your hands on, other aspects of living need to be summoned. Maybe some of us need to revisit our roots, and appreciate those good ole days when we could easily handle waiting a few weeks for a wonderful letter to arrive!
    Last edited by CanDB; 11-27-2016, 08:59 AM.

  • #2
    Will power... What's that?

    J/K... Probably the only thing I do have will power against is alcohol. I have a couple drinks do something stupid and know to cut myself off. Will power against food, sometimes I know to say "no, yummy, but I don't need another ... Will power when it comes to Christmas shopping, and not going overboard ... yep, lacking on that. Will power when it comes to keeping my dogs on leash or letting them off, we'll find out tomorrow. Everyday, I tell the Husky he'll never be cut loose again, then I say ok just for a minute. Today he came back covered in Cactus < strike 3. Tomorrow I need some will power ........
    sigpic
    Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
    Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

    Comment


    • #3
      As a species? It is hard to say. I'm sure there are many humans still on this planet that don't have the luxury to be concerned about will power. The U.S. and probably Canada? are well off compared to many parts of the world ... we probably take too much for granted.

      What I have observed of the younger generations - Gen X and Millennials of North America - they seem to have little will power or patience. They have the technology and have grown up with it for instant gratification and seem to expect it.

      If I speak for myself, the older I get the better will power I have. Health concerns and lack of income certainly help to drive this. I am grateful that I have a life and live in a country where "will power" is needed much of the time.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
        As a species? It is hard to say. I'm sure there are many humans still on this planet that don't have the luxury to be concerned about will power. The U.S. and probably Canada? are well off compared to many parts of the world ... we probably take too much for granted.

        What I have observed of the younger generations - Gen X and Millennials of North America - they seem to have little will power or patience. They have the technology and have grown up with it for instant gratification and seem to expect it.

        If I speak for myself, the older I get the better will power I have. Health concerns and lack of income certainly help to drive this. I am grateful that I have a life and live in a country where "will power" is needed much of the time.
        Yes sir.....I was definitely including that commentary in my thoughts, that species is too general, given the less privileged people around this globe.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
          As a species? It is hard to say. I'm sure there are many humans still on this planet that don't have the luxury to be concerned about will power. The U.S. and probably Canada? are well off compared to many parts of the world ... we probably take too much for granted.

          What I have observed of the younger generations - Gen X and Millennials of North America - they seem to have little will power or patience. They have the technology and have grown up with it for instant gratification and seem to expect it.

          If I speak for myself, the older I get the better will power I have. Health concerns and lack of income certainly help to drive this. I am grateful that I have a life and live in a country where "will power" is needed much of the time.
          I think you hit the nail on the head here, although I will add to it if I may. Not only do they lack patience, but they feel entitled. That's a very bad combination imo, life is gonna smack them around something fierce when the real world is introduced to them.
          Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JJBroncoFan View Post
            I think you hit the nail on the head here, although I will add to it if I may. Not only do they lack patience, but they feel entitled. That's a very bad combination imo, life is gonna smack them around something fierce when the real world is introduced to them.
            Geez.....what's my excuse? I'm a baby boomer, and not one of the younger ones!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CanDB View Post
              Geez.....what's my excuse? I'm a baby boomer, and not one of the younger ones!!
              Lol there's a big difference between lacking will power and patience and feeling like the world owes you something. Everyone desires things and we want them right now if possible. I can't imagine walking around in my head all day, what drives a person who believes that?
              Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JJBroncoFan View Post
                Lol there's a big difference between lacking will power and patience and feeling like the world owes you something. Everyone desires things and we want them right now if possible. I can't imagine walking around in my head all day, what drives a person who believes that?
                But it does......just one thing.....just one big lottery!!!!! (I've already got it spent in my mind!)




                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                  But it does......just one thing.....just one big lottery!!!!! (I've already got it spent in my mind!)




                  Lol fair enough
                  Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                    Geez.....what's my excuse? I'm a baby boomer, and not one of the younger ones!!
                    I'm among the youngest Baby Boomers (1964). I intend to be the last living baby boomer, sorry you won't be around to see it. :-)
                    I really like Cheese.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      We are in an age of instant gratification. There is no will power as everything is at our fingertips.

                      Kinda sad actually. Waiting for something, earning, over time, enough for something....
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by darth-hideous View Post
                        I'm among the youngest Baby Boomers (1964). I intend to be the last living baby boomer, sorry you won't be around to see it. :-)
                        Tell me how it turns out......









                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                          We are in an age of instant gratification. There is no will power as everything is at our fingertips.

                          Kinda sad actually. Waiting for something, earning, over time, enough for something....
                          I'm so ticked. I haven't had a really good thing happen to me for over 3 minutes!!!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I will attest to the lack of will power.......any tasty food (especially dessert) on the table of late, had no chance when I approached!! Thank heaven for the gym and all that snow to shovel!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I wouldn't say we as as a species have lost our will power. More like, we have lost our will. People have lost interest in things that used to interest them, they are bored. People look around at everyone else and don't feel a connection anymore. Like, for instance, that horrible thing that recently happened in Chicago. People just don't care. They don't care about themselves and they certainly don't care about others.
                              The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

                              The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X