Federal Jury Duty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Jury Duty

Got home the other night, opened by mail box and pulled out a Federal Jury Summons.

Ive only gotten a jury summons 1 other time in my life; exactly on my 18th birthday (no joke). That was a County Jury Summons.

When I went for County Jury, I walked in, gave my name and juror number, sat in the waiting room for 8 hours and then was dismissed from the remainder of my duty.

On one of the papers I received it states in big bold letters "This is NOT County Jury Service. You can NOT transfer you juror duty to County or State" So, Im guessing Federal Jury Duty is different/more extensive then County Jury...? Have any of you gotten a Federal Jury Summons? If so, how did it go?
    Denver Broncos
    New York Yankees
    New York Knicks
    Colorado Avalanche

sigpic

Just pray you don't get selected. Trials last months, but most only meet one day a week if that.
    sigpic

Comment

The aspect of having to wear a suit (which I hate doing) and the fact that no electronic devices are allowed, thats gonna suck. The prospect of sitting there waiting hours on end with no iphone/ipad, wifi, music, or anything to do is dreadful. I can bring a book to read; but I hate reading. Im an introverted person who hates small talk and who, unless not having a choice, steers clear of talking to someone I dont know.

Basically Im gonna be twiddling my thumbs and watching the seconds click by on my watch while I wait.

On one of the papers I received, it states that to request dismissal I must submit a "hand written letter only" plus I still must stand before the judge on my reporting day to orally request to be excused. I have no valid excuse for requesting dismissal though. My job is still going to pay me, so I cant even claim financial hardship as a way to be dismissed. Its an hour away from my home but it says that the court will pay me in the event I need to stay in a hotel to attend jury duty. Its like Im boxed in.
      Denver Broncos
      New York Yankees
      New York Knicks
      Colorado Avalanche

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kingelway7 View Post
        The aspect of having to wear a suit (which I hate doing) and the fact that no electronic devices are allowed, thats gonna suck. The prospect of sitting there waiting hours on end with no iphone/ipad, wifi, music, or anything to do is dreadful. I can bring a book to read; but I hate reading. Im an introverted person who hates small talk and who, unless not having a choice, steers clear of talking to someone I dont know.

Basically Im gonna be twiddling my thumbs and watching the seconds click by on my watch while I wait.

On one of the papers I received, it states that to request dismissal I must submit a "hand written letter only" plus I still must stand before the judge on my reporting day to orally request to be excused. I have no valid excuse for requesting dismissal though. My job is still going to pay me, so I cant even claim financial hardship as a way to be dismissed. Its an hour away from my home but it says that the court will pay me in the event I need to stay in a hotel to attend jury duty. Its like Im boxed in.
        Does your job pay for jury duty no matter the length of time? Because certain jobs will only pay up to a certain period of time. That could be a factor. Also, depending on the case you probably won't be sequestered in a hotel.
        sigpic

Comment

If you get interviewed, just tell them you are not thinking clearly because you have been spray-painting adult-themed art in an unventelated room-- it worked for me! :thumb:
          sigpic

Comment

My friend is a criminal attorney and we were having a long conversation about jurors. I actually wanted to be chosen.. lol
            I got the letter from county court and wanted to serve, so I asked him for advice on how to make myself more appealing.

He told me if I wanted to be chosen to not act too eager or come off like I wanted to be picked. He said with all the crime shows now and people who are into ID Network, lawyers try to steer clear of the "too eager" juror.
            He said they are trouble and both sides seem to agree on this. So.. I guess someone exactly like me is What these lawyers are trying to avoid.

So act like you really want to be there and want to be chosen, and who knows maybe that will turn them off and get you out there. Lol
            Last edited by KansasKrista; 02-10-2017, 02:00 PM.
            Toto, I don't think we are in Kansas anymore

Comment

Got home the other night, opened by mail box and pulled out a Federal Jury Summons.

Ive only gotten a jury summons 1 other time in my life; exactly on my 18th birthday (no joke). That was a County Jury Summons.

When I went for County Jury, I walked in, gave my name and juror number, sat in the waiting room for 8 hours and then was dismissed from the remainder of my duty.

On one of the papers I received it states in big bold letters "This is NOT County Jury Service. You can NOT transfer you juror duty to County or State" So, Im guessing Federal Jury Duty is different/more extensive then County Jury...? Have any of you gotten a Federal Jury Summons? If so, how did it go?
              Yikes, your county experience is horrible. Here, the last two times I was summoned, the first I sat until 10:30 or 11 AM when they send those not selected home. The second time I was able to ask for a deferral and left within 30 minutes of getting there. each time they would show a short video about the jury process, being selected, civics, etc. Tears. I was moved. I couldn't turn it off!

Sitting for 8 hours is hard to imagine. It is crazy and sounds more like punishment than service.

I wonder if county court houses have their own rules for when a jury must be called by the lawyers - my guess is there must be.

I was called for a federal case once. The only thing that was easier was getting to call in the night before to find out of you have to go to court the next day. It saves making unnecessary trips. The bad part was I was on call for an entire month. So unlike county where you show up and either get called or not and then you are done, I had to agonize every day wondering if I'd get called in.

Comment

Suits... wow. I think here in CA you just have to make sure not to wear sandals.

For my federal summons I did mail in the request to be excused. At the time we were living paycheck to paycheck and I was not going to be paid by my work. Missing even a week of work would have been devastating The court replied that they received my letter, thanks but my request was denied.

Comment

Working...
                X