call back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• call back?

So i went in for a job interview and the person who interviewed me said she would call me last friday or monday. I did a follow up call thursday and left a messege. Why tell me you will call me back if your not going to?

Does this bother anyone else? Or am i just old school and take people at their word....

Interviews go both ways and if im not impressed but get an offer, im probably not going to take it.

Am i just being old and stubborn or does this bother anyone else?
    Glen Haven Fire

Originally posted by armedequation View Post
    So i went in for a job interview and the person who interviewed me said she would call me last friday or monday. I did a follow up call thursday and left a messege. Why tell me you will call me back if your not going to?

Does this bother anyone else? Or am i just old school and take people at their word....

Interviews go both ways and if im not impressed but get an offer, im probably not going to take it.

They'd rather just give you the Irish Goodbye than just tell you that you didn't get the job. Seems like standard operating procedure nowadays.

I always try to take the time to call people back even when my business with them is done. It's a courtesy. If I'm busy though, sometimes I'll tell them ahead of time that IF I can help them (or vise versa), I'll give them a call. So, in your case it would've been appropriate for them to tell you they would call you Friday or Monday IF you got the job.

By the way: Wish you the best of luck, man. Hope everything is well with the family.

Comment

Haha im irish!

Yeah id rather they just be blunt and say hey if we are interested or need more info, we will give you a call. I call all my customers within a day of service that i provide them and follow up. If i dont do what i say i will do then you lose customers.

I say i must be old as i still watch bonanza and someones word and handshake still mean something to me.

Family is good. Had a scare with croup/rsv involving a weeks stay at childrens hospital a month ago but now everyone is healthy and good. The 1 year old just started walking so if i didnt think things could be crazier i was wrong haha
      Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Yes. It bugs me, too, but I'm old/old school. Doing what you say, being on time, being where you said you'd be when you said you'd be there are basic as far as I'm concerned. Clocks, calendars, maps and compasses are our friends. IMO when you tell someone you'll be somewhere at a certain time, it's a sacred promise. Same goes for call backs.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

If you cant take them at their word, how can you trust them?
          Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
            Yes. It bugs me, too, but I'm old/old school. Doing what you say, being on time, being where you said you'd be when you said you'd be there are basic as far as I'm concerned. Clocks, calendars, maps and compasses are our friends. IMO when you tell someone you'll be somewhere at a certain time, it's a sacred promise. Same goes for call backs.
            It's sad that etiquette and honesty would ever be thought of as old school.

I'd much rather hear after an interview that if they want to follow up they will within some reasonable period of time. It's obvious if they want a follow up interview or to make a job offer they will contact a person. There is no need to make a promise they don't intend on keeping.

@AE - good luck.:thumb:
            Last edited by Rastic; 02-23-2017, 10:11 AM.

Comment

They don't want to crush your hopes and dreams right then and there. It's easier for them to just sidestep that discomfort and send you on your way with positive thoughts.

It's dishonest...but like others have alluded, it's par for the course in the world of today. Where honesty and etiquette are photographed in museums by teenagers with smartphones.
              To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

First i want to say thank you for the good luck wishes!!!

I believe its safe to say that i didnt get that job as they never contacted me. However im not discouraged and am still looking!
                Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Atta boy! :thumb:
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

The wife a few years back found her niche as an emergency dispatcher and loves her job. Theres not a whole lot up here job wise. I have an app/resume in with the water department so we will see how it goes.
                    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Working...
                    X