Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is daylight savings worth really worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is daylight savings worth really worth it?

I know the history of daylight savings and why, at least for a time or in a particular context, the idea has merit. (See DST history here).

My questions is in today's day and age, why has this vestige of the past clung on in so many places for, what seems to me, simple tradition?

Never mind the attention grabbing headlines about Why Daylight Savings is Killing You, Business Insider has an interesting article about why DST should just go away - practical reasons with decent examples. The most poignant, outside my own disdain, references actual studies and data results:

According to Michael Downing, the author of "Spring Forward: The Annual Madness of Daylight-Saving Time," early studies on the energy savings of daylight-saving time didn't show that it actually decreases energy use.

In fact, sometimes DST seems to increase energy use.

For example, in Indiana — where daylight-saving time was implemented statewide in 2006 — researchers saw that people used less electricity for light, yet any gains were canceled out by people who used more air conditioning during the early evenings (since 6 p.m. felt more like 5 p.m., when the sun is still shining brightly in the summer and homes haven't had the chance to cool off).

DST also increases gasoline consumption, something Downing says the petroleum industry has known since the 1930s. This is probably because evening activities increase with that extra daylight, and getting to and from those activities often requires vehicles.

Changing the clocks also causes air travel synchronization headaches, which sometimes leads to travel delays and lost revenue, airlines have reportedly said.
    tl;dr?

Summary: while DST gains in conservation of energy there is an equal to greater loss with a shift in other uses.

If there is a net cancellation, or - I'll even concede, a slight conservation of resources, why the trouble?

I had a child born during DST. Talk about craziness during labor with shift changes, etc.. What time was she born? 1 AM, 2 AM.. . Anecdotal, sure, but research (above and elsewhere) mentions all the headaches with flight scheduling, synchronization, etc.

Maybe I should just be honest. I work on Sundays... and today stinks

I hate you DST. Go back to bed and stay there.

Is it that time of year again. AZ doesn't change their clocks, we just move time zones twice a year.... I always have to keep strait if I'm on Pacific or Mountain time.
    sigpic
    Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
    Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

Comment

No, it's not worth it. To me anyway.

I think we should just keep the "fall back" part. In time, we would gain a whole day.

I've heard about "leap year" babies before, of course. I never thought about DST's babies. Does she get two birthdays?

Sophia, I knew AZ didn't participate. I didn't realize that the time zones would change. Just never thought about it.
      Administrator

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

No!!!! Definitely not worth it in my opinion. Give me back my time you monsters!!!! :doh:
        To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

No........
          Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

No not worth it....

Here is another good one, I do a lot of work in West Texas. When staying in West Texas for area support, I am sometimes called into East NM. At which point I change timezones (specifically losing an hour). That creates its own issues with billing, time etc. None of which are huge deals more like small pains.But it certainly keeps it fun.

Now get some sleep Rastic
            My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post

I think we should just keep the "fall back" part. In time, we would gain a whole day.

I've heard about "leap year" babies before, of course. I never thought about DST's babies. Does she get two birthdays?

Sophia, I knew AZ didn't participate. I didn't realize that the time zones would change. Just never thought about it.
              I love your Fall Back idea
              My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post

No, there are not two birthdays but my wife gets to say the labor was an hour longer than it really was. Who's going to argue? Not me.

Comment

Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                  I love your Fall Back idea
                  Let's start a petition.

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                  No, there are not two birthdays but my wife gets to say the labor was an hour longer than it really was. Who's going to argue? Not me.
                  You are a wise man. And I like the way your wife thinks.
                  Administrator

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Working...
                  X