from a subaru to a.....ford focus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• from a subaru to a.....ford focus?

So im not a brand loyal guy but i am a subaru enthusiest. Ive had 3 lifted, 3 turbos and 1 regular forester. Ive never owned a wrx but would like to especially where we live.

So when i catch wind of fords focus rs, im thinking "well this is the states, we havent had a good compact sport car from them since...forever". Now dont let that fool you, ford has put out great cars elsewhere just not the states.

This focus rs is awd. 350hp/tq and has 4 drive modes including a drift option that changes it to rwd and even assists you while mid drift. If the stig from top gear is driving it and says that its incredible...

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...pAAgnAJTqkjZRw

So now i ask you....am i crazy for wanting a new focus rs?
    Last edited by armedequation; 05-24-2017, 05:45 PM.
    Glen Haven Fire

Originally posted by armedequation View Post
    So im not a brand loyal guy but i am a subaru enthusiest. Ive had 3 lifted, 3 turbos and 1 regular forester. Ive never owned a wrx but would like to especially where we live.

So when i catch wind of fords focus rs, im thinking "well this is the states, we havent had a good compact sport car from them since...forever". Now dont let that fool you, ford has put out great cars elsewhere just not the states.

This focus rs is awd. 350hp/tq and has 4 drive modes including a drift option that changes it to rwd and even assists you while mid drift. If the stig from top gear is driving it and says that its incredible...

If you get the chance to do some drifting around corners and bends in your neck of the woods, then by all means :thumb:

Comment

Im staying away from that drift button until i get a feel for it lol. When in drift mode, the car senses the turn and puts all the power to the outside rear wheel to help enduce the drift. Then when it feels that the turn has been started it divides the power 50/50 to the rears to help maintain the drift. That first corner stig took in drift mode made my jaw drop (okay there was some drool).

Willie b, who is a long time denver radio dj, was saying this is the best time for these kinds of cars since the mid to late 60s and i have to agree
      Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Im staying away from that drift button until i get a feel for it lol. When in drift mode, the car senses the turn and puts all the power to the outside rear wheel to help enduce the drift. Then when it feels that the turn has been started it divides the power 50/50 to the rears to help maintain the drift. That first corner stig took in drift mode made my jaw drop (okay there was some drool).

Willie b, who is a long time denver radio dj, was saying this is the best time for these kinds of cars since the mid to late 60s and i have to agree
        I'm not crazy about Fords, but that drift mode is cool. I'd ignore the make of the vehicle for that feature.
        Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
          I'm not crazy about Fords, but that drift mode is cool. I'd ignore the make of the vehicle for that feature.
          Yeah with a couple of exceptions, everyone makes something good and everyone makes junk too. Ive been in 450hp cars where the interior was extremely cheap plastic.

Im super glad that ford came out with this. I believe 2016 was the last year for the evo which was subarus direct competition. Like dodges demon will force chevy and ford to make a muscle car, maybe this will force subaru to bring a new platform and up their game. 8 years is quite a while
          Glen Haven Fire

Comment

I don't know anything about the 3rd gen Ford Focus. I'm assuming this is a turbo charged version of their DOHC engine. In my experience the DOHC engine is way better than the single. The single's don't last. It's a 6spd, so you don't have to worry about the tranny either. I don't know what all changes they've made on the suspension from the 2nd to 3rd gen, not to mention this car is AWD, so the rear suspension is likely all together different from a base model anyways. All I know is the rear suspension on the 1st and 2nd gen base models wasn't very well put together. Other than that, a couple minor issues. Steering column's had some problems, but nothing too crazy. The main issue I always had with the Focus was that I'd walk up to one and none of the doors would open. Either the latch or handle wouldn't work. Bear in mind though, that these were the earlier models. Those issues may have been resolved.

All in all man, 350hp/350lb-ft w/a 6spd should be hella fun to drive. I can't believe it weighs 3500 pounds, but it's built to do what you want to do, so.

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
              My company had a Shelby Cobra donated to it a number of years ago and I got to spend some fun, memorable hours behind the wheel. Even parking lots were a blast with the 427 motor making alarms go off.

The fist couple times I drove it I had a hard time finding 3rd and 4th gear. Or so I thought. I was actually missing 1st and 2nd. It still lit the tires from a dead stop in 3rd

When I finally found 1st gear...

If it only had that drift feature...

Comment

Yeah with a couple of exceptions, everyone makes something good and everyone makes junk too. Ive been in 450hp cars where the interior was extremely cheap plastic.

Im super glad that ford came out with this. I believe 2016 was the last year for the evo which was subarus direct competition. Like dodges demon will force chevy and ford to make a muscle car, maybe this will force subaru to bring a new platform and up their game. 8 years is quite a while
                The Demon is not just a muscle car, it's a street/strip car. Dodge is pushing the envelope. I like the innovation. Not so high on the price tag. I still can't believe they won't make a coupe version of the Dodge Charger, though. Head scratcher.

Comment

From my understanding the 2.3ecoboost is the same motor they offer in the mustang. Platform and other driveline components are new and designed by their racing team. Top gear magazine put it up against their 425hp mustang and the mustang barely won.

Ive never considered the charger and actual charger. It should have been badged something different in my opinion. The viper has always been my modern dream supercar since 94. Ive always loved how test drivers doing reviews always say they were scared to open it up fully even on a track. Chevy and ford need to come out with something other than camaro/vette/mustang. Fords rs is a great step in that direction. The demon is a special breed all together. It is to muscle cars what the skyline is to awd.
                  Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                    My company had a Shelby Cobra donated to it a number of years ago and I got to spend some fun, memorable hours behind the wheel. Even parking lots were a blast with the 427 motor making alarms go off.

The fist couple times I drove it I had a hard time finding 3rd and 4th gear. Or so I thought. I was actually missing 1st and 2nd. It still lit the tires from a dead stop in 3rd

When I finally found 1st gear...

If it only had that drift feature...
                    Haha dont need that feature with that stang you drove, just high rpms!

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...h0Uz2679N4M7nQ
                    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

I was extremely close to getting a WRX, then I noticed that pretty much every person who drives one looks like a huge tool, so thinking about going with the BMW 325 xdrive instead (they are about the same price).

Go with the Ford for sure. There seems to be a lot less of them as well.

Comment

In the casual job I have, I mostly drive Toyotas and Subarus. I like the dependability and resale of these brands. And I like that Subarus expand AWD to its cars as well as SUVs, which is a great feature here in the wintery months.

I think the WRX sedan is pretty nice, but I am not so much in love with the sporty version. Not comfortable and does not drive as good as I expected. But hey, I am an old boot!

Comment

I never thought of myself as being brand loyal, until I read your post.... I must be extremely brand loyal, because if I find something I like, I won't even look at anything else... that is it.... it is the only brand for me.... maybe it's partially my OCD that it has to be that one thing when I find something I like .... just thought it was funny.

Anyways. I had to look up the ford focus rs to see what would make you want one. Actually impressed. It appears to have great ratings as well. I personally like subarus, but have never owned one. Guess I'm a jeep girl, almost every vehicle I've ever owned as been a jeep of some type or another, had a couple toyota celicas and a couple mustangs, but always return to jeep. Can't imagine straying again... lol - love jeeps.

Look forward to hearing if you get the focus though and what you think of it, if you do....
                          sigpic
                          Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                          Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                          Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
                          Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

Test drove one of these when looking at cars the other day, surprised to see this thread here haha!

I loved the way it shifted. I could use my index finger to shift.
                            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Did you notice a difference in shifting when you changed drive modes at all Corey? I have not seen anything about if the trans shifts differently when a different mode is selected. Also think there would be enough room in the backseat for car seats? Im thinking of coming down the mountain to test drive one this weekend. Sorry i didnt tell you it was 21 questions but what color was it? I like the grey but i may be leaning to black.

Sophia you should test drive a forester xt. I can promise youll love it, especially up in the mountains! Now one of the best explainations ive heard about the real difference between subaru and the rs that i agree with is that subarus you maintain speed to the apex of the corner and then roll on the throttle and that mostly has to do with the turbo and differential setup. From what i have heard, the rs's torque vectoring system allows you to pretty much be on the throttle through the turn.
                              Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Working...
                              X