Sorry Squirrel, You're Going To Live In The Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry Squirrel, You're Going To Live In The Country

I've mentioned before how our suburb has become an animal friendly zone over the years. Never used to be like this, with all kinds of rabbits, squirrels, the occasional mouse sighting, and various new species of birds. And yes, deer are seen within city limits more often than you would expect.

Part of this evolution in my opinion is that, years ago our city passed a law that enforced citizens to keep cats indoors. Now, not all cats are outdoor types, but our wonderful cat was quite adept at catching things like mice, which was very helpful indeed. True, cats can be kind of violent when it comes to other animals, but that's just their DNA I suppose. Regardless, like everyone else, we had to keep a close eye on ole KC, and so did everyone else....and as I say, the animal life seemed to take on a different look.

I like most animals, but the bunnies eat our garden food and flowers, the birds are getting noisier (including the grouchy "attacking" grackles) with no fears, and if I see another mouse in my garage I will blow a gasket!! And over the last couple of years, the squirrels are driving us "nuts"!! One in particular, a younger, faster reddish punk, who runs over the house from one tree to another, and can get loud when he confronts you. But I got a plan....

Last fall I was told that, if you catch and release them elsewhere, they will die, because they do not have time to make a new nest. My wife and I are decent folks, and said forget it (along with traps that will actually kill the animal....for us, mouse "yes", squirrels "no"). Just as long as it does not enter the attic or any other place, we decided to let it nest wherever and stay somewhere in the area. But now that spring is sprung, I am going to invest in a good trap, this week. I know where this dude likes to roam, and sorry to say "Red", you are going to be living in the country by the weekend. I hope you like it there! Time to start planning that new home you were dreaming about!!

I know how you feel. I just went through almost the exact same thing with a chupacabra. Good luck!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
      I know how you feel. I just went through almost the exact same thing with a chupacabra. Good luck!
      A "who"????

Let me just say, this squirrel should appreciate me, because my neighbour has a "different" plan than I.

I think I mentioned in another thread, my buddy who lives in the same area, had to get an exterminator in because a squirrel was digging its way into the side of his chimney.

Comment

My wife wants to buy a pair of pygmy goats...I said only if we name them Chupacabra and El Diablo
        "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
        PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
        LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

I love the animals around downtown Toronto.

Especially our notorious racoons as seen on planet earth two

Comment

Originally posted by Remedy View Post
            I love the animals around downtown Toronto.

Especially our notorious racoons as seen on planet earth two
            Whoa......for a second I was worried you were talking about my 2 kids!

Comment

We have a lot of foxes in our neighborhood and they get rowdy at night-- particularly during the spring. The females let out a mating howl and go on and on for hours just outside our house. The squirrels are very well behaved.

Here is what it sounds like:

Imagine listening to that for 2-3 hours while trying to go to sleet.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                We have a lot of foxes in our neighborhood and they get rowdy at night-- particularly during the spring. The females let out a mating howl and go on and on for hours just outside our house. The squirrels are very well behaved.

Here is what it sounds like:

Imagine listening to that for 2-3 hours while trying to go to sleet.
                That really sucks!!! Makes ole Red, the future country dweller, seem not quite so bad!!

Comment

Wait a sec.....bought a relatively cheap but solid trap, to catch and release. So.....did any of you tell ole Red that I am going to catch him, because suddenly he is not around!! Perhaps he is traveling for a day or two, you know, doing business, or visiting family/friends. But this is uncanny! He is normally around a few times a day.

My goodness, maybe my neighbour (who has different ideas on how to deal with this squirrel) got to him first!! That would be "nuts". (Notice how often that word enters this thread......sorry).

Not to mention, the guy at the store I bough it from had a very different view on the subject as well. These guys make me look like a saint.......(which is seriously impossible!!!)

Comment

Update:

Caught a squirrel early this morning. But it's not Ole Red.....it's smaller.

Cute smallish thing!

So we took it for a 10 mile ride outside the city and I wondered how it would react when we opened the cage. ZOOM!!! Wow, I am not sure I have ever seen anything alive move that fast!!

Anyway....tons of trees out there. Should be a great place to make a new home!

Now onto Ole Red!

Comment

One more update:

Last week I caught another squirrel, and now that I compare, I believe I caught Ole Red last time, given it did have some red, but matured. Also, they seem a little smaller in the cage, because when they are loose, they gain "size" in one's perspective with their extended tails, and even with the speed at which they move. Not sure that makes a lot of sense....but the good news, we may be good for this season.

BTW, we let this one loose on the same country road as the other. Perhaps they are together, in a beautiful wilderness of trees and water sources.

That is one handy trap!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X