Simple Pleasures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Pleasures

Sometimes I get so in the routine I don't take time to really enjoy something as I should and I am going to make more of an effort to try to get more enjoyment out of things I ordinarily treat myself to.

For example, this evening I had a beer-- my usual brand; but this afternoon I thought ahead and put a pilsner glass in the freezer. It was the most amazing beer I have had in a while and all I could think about is why don't I do this more often? I just don't think about it. My indulgence didn't stop there. I had a grilled hot dog and toasted the bun-- not the usual microwave version.The little extra effort I took for these was awesome. What else could I do?

So, I am looking for inspiration. Not just frosted beer glasses and grilled hot dogs, but what are the little things you do to common and routine things, or will do this summer, that make the ordinary extraordinary?
    sigpic

I'm going to reread some of my books
    "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Looking for that little "extra" are we? Good idea!!

My initial reaction, before I give examples, is to offer this: Before you do anything, think about happy things. And also think about the simple things that may not be as exciting as they once were, but could be with a new focus. Here's a little more to what I am trying to say...

Remember when you were young and you would stare at the stars, maybe while laying on the grass. Maybe try that again. Maybe choose a warm evening with a gentle breeze blowing kindly, and just soak it in. Again, thoughts of younger days may come back. Matters not if they do, just soak in a beautiful night under the starry night.

Remember when there were those amazing smells you used to love, like at a small burger joint with good fries. Maybe indulge....go old style with a burger, fries and a thick chocolate shake.

Take a drive into the country. Find some friendly road and see where it takes you. Get out and absorb what the country can offer. Maybe see if there are some attractions along the way, like some old shops. So many nice things to see and do once you get past the city limits.

Make a list of things you have never (or hardly ever) taken in locally, like folk festivals, outdoor theatre, concerts. Some are free. Whatever. See what other folks do that you have missed out on, or not tried for some time.

Go for a brunch or a late breakfast on a day you would not normally do so. Take it slow and easy. Same goes for later meals. But here's the kicker, try to do it outdoors.

Go to a game....be it professional, just below, or heck, just drop by a local field to watch younger folks play. It is a nice way to spend some time.

See if there is a local place to volunteer some of your time....maybe serve meals to the needy, or visit a hospital or other care facility, and provide a smile.

If you like wine, spoil yourself and get a better bottle. (Same goes for whatever you may like....within reason!)

If you do not dress up very often, one night do so, and do whatever it is that you wish...like going to a good restaurant, or just walking about in an active place, where folks abound, full of energy and life.

Yes, go for walks. Change the route.

Make a point of talking more to folks you know a little, or not at all. Maybe a neighbour. Maybe someone you work with. Matters not. Make them feel good. Keep it light, fun and happy. I always feel good when I share moments that way. No agenda, just being another person to smile with.

Maybe finally get into that hobby/interest that you have been thinking about.

Take some "extra" time to show appreciation for those who matter....
      Last edited by CanDB; 05-30-2017, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
        Sometimes I get so in the routine I don't take time to really enjoy something as I should and I am going to make more of an effort to try to get more enjoyment out of things I ordinarily treat myself to.

For example, this evening I had a beer-- my usual brand; but this afternoon I thought ahead and put a pilsner glass in the freezer. It was the most amazing beer I have had in a while and all I could think about is why don't I do this more often? I just don't think about it. My indulgence didn't stop there. I had a grilled hot dog and toasted the bun-- not the usual microwave version.The little extra effort I took for these was awesome. What else could I do?

So, I am looking for inspiration. Not just frosted beer glasses and grilled hot dogs, but what are the little things you do to common and routine things, or will do this summer, that make the ordinary extraordinary?
        CanDB has a lot of great suggestions. Kind of hard to think of anymore.

I do have one thing. When you're telling someone a joke and because you have a "unique" sense of humor, watch the person smile (maybe out of politeness) and then follow the smile up to their eyes as they "get" what you said. You've done this to me several times. It might not be extraordinary for you, but it was for me. To make a person smile or laugh, you extend their lives. That's extraordinary.
        Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Great thread!

Kind of in the same vein, we recently bought a new grill. Our last one died a miserable death. Much to my surprise, the brand was very expensive to fix, nearly what I paid for it, due to the extensive amount of problems. To replace it I did more due diligence in researching but when it came down to it, my wife and I were both uncomfortable with making another investment.

Fast-forward to now, we really missed grilling and went all in. The food was great. Better yet was everything else.

I never realized how much a family affair it had become: my wife and I both prepping, now along with my oldest daughter; being out and playing with the kids; etc., etc. We had such a great weekend, with a slight tinge of regret of weekends lost for being short-sighted.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
            Great thread!

Kind of in the same vein, we recently bought a new grill. Our last one died a miserable death. Much to my surprise, the brand was very expensive to fix, nearly what I paid for it, due to the extensive amount of problems. To replace it I did more due diligence in researching but when it came down to it, my wife and I were both uncomfortable with making another investment.

Fast-forward to now, we really missed grilling and went all in. The food was great. Better yet was everything else.

I never realized how much a family affair it had become: my wife and I both prepping, now along with my oldest daughter; being out and playing with the kids; etc., etc. We had such a great weekend, with a slight tinge of regret of weekends lost for being short-sighted.
            This is exactly what I am looking for. The little things everyone does that make enjoyable moments.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
              CanDB has a lot of great suggestions. Kind of hard to think of anymore.

I do have one thing. When you're telling someone a joke and because you have a "unique" sense of humor, watch the person smile (maybe out of politeness) and then follow the smile up to their eyes as they "get" what you said. You've done this to me several times. It might not be extraordinary for you, but it was for me. To make a person smile or laugh, you extend their lives. That's extraordinary.
              I must have given you my sultry sexy smile. :thumb:
              sigpic

Comment

This is exactly what I am looking for. The little things everyone does that make enjoyable moments.
                Did I miss the boat on this one?

Comment

Every once in awhile I'll chill a wine glass instead of just pulling one out of the cupboard .... I like to bake from scratch instead of from a box on the rare occasion that I bake, just because I think it's worth it ... love pedicures, but splurging for a little something extra instead of the basic ....
                  sigpic
                  Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                  Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                  Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
                  Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

The thoughts of doing things slow and savoring the experience in this thread made me think of my wife's new wood smoker. Rather than the standard summer BBQ experience, she'll load up the smoker with some hickory, mesquite, or apple wood and smoke ribs/sausages/whatever. It takes 5 or so hours and we put the smoker outside our open windows. By the time it's done the whole house smells amazing...and it also makes killer homemade beef jerky for a fraction of the cost it sells for in the store
                    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
                      The thoughts of doing things slow and savoring the experience in this thread made me think of my wife's new wood smoker. Rather than the standard summer BBQ experience, she'll load up the smoker with some hickory, mesquite, or apple wood and smoke ribs/sausages/whatever. It takes 5 or so hours and we put the smoker outside our open windows. By the time it's done the whole house smells amazing...and it also makes killer homemade beef jerky for a fraction of the cost it sells for in the store
                      Now that's what I'm talking about! The little extras we seem to have cut out because we got busy or feel pressured to do something else. The little things we do extra that put a smile on our face making us glad we did them.

My recent splurge began last year when we bought some really nice sheets-- some x-thread count pricey things my wife got-- they are remarkably soft. We recently switched out from the flannel sheets and put the summer sheets on. Of course they had been in the closet folded for 8-months or so, so I hung them outside for a few hours before putting them on. I happened to shower before going to bed and I have to say there was no better feeling than being freshly showered and slipping into some outdoor smelling fresh butter soft sheets! I was glad I made the effort.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X