Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Traffic Lights Seem To Be Working Against You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Traffic Lights Seem To Be Working Against You?

Does it ever feel like you are messed with by traffic lights? When you are running late, do you feel like it is a "red light" day, or some jams are created that are totally unexpected? Then again, when you leave early, does it sometimes feel like green lights abound??

Now, kidding aside, I do believe in the power of positive and yes, negative thinking. On the other hand I do not believe I can change the results of an NFL game, or any sports event, just because I start watching. Ha ha.....but some of us will actually stop watching and expect a better outcome, thinking maybe, just maybe we are a jinx!

Some of this is about superstitions no doubt. Like the way some folks do the exact same thing to prepare for a game or whatever. Many athletes have such behaviour, like not shaving during the playoffs, maybe even wearing the same smelly tshirt. Who knows, but superstitions are fairly commonplace on this planet. Similarly, many of us believe we have this unexplained affect on much bigger things. Interesting how we make fun of others who think like that, but hey, before we go too far we should all check out our routines, and thought patterns.....we may just be crossing the same line at times.

Anyway.....gotta go soon. I think I will leave in little early, just in case.....that way I know I will get there really early!!!

In many commercial areas, traffic lights are timed intentionally to make you stop so you can have a look around at the stores in hopes you will trigger a memory or get an interest in a store and pull off and shop. The cities get the sales tax so making you stop and hoping you shop is done purposefully.

Many believe traffic lights are timed so if you go the speed limit you will pass through maybe catching just one or two in a stretch through a commercial area. Many cities changed this and the timing is such that you have to stop a lot in hopes of getting you to pull off and shop.This is hard to spot with all the left-turn only arrows and congestion; but much of the congestion is engineered for a purpose.

So yes, traffic lights are against you.
    sigpic

Comment

I’ve never understood why people let lights and paint boss you around.
      To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
        In many commercial areas, traffic lights are timed intentionally to make you stop so you can have a look around at the stores in hopes you will trigger a memory or get an interest in a store and pull off and shop. The cities get the sales tax so making you stop and hoping you shop is done purposefully.

Many believe traffic lights are timed so if you go the speed limit you will pass through maybe catching just one or two in a stretch through a commercial area. Many cities changed this and the timing is such that you have to stop a lot in hopes of getting you to pull off and shop.This is hard to spot with all the left-turn only arrows and congestion; but much of the congestion is engineered for a purpose.

So yes, traffic lights are against you.
        Interesting! I am not sure how complex this city is however, given they did not implement the new "automated" system to its full extent yet, though they have made changes in recent years. It could be we are slowing down in commercial areas, but to be honest, some of it here was just plain "ineffective" traffic management.

However I am still scratching my head as to why when I leave early, the lights seem to stay green??????

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
          I’ve never understood why people let lights and paint boss you around.
          I believe we are gullible souls!!!

Come to think of it, going forward I am going to ignore all those lights and paint and goofy signs, and drive as I feel.

Hey, what's the siren sound and spinning light coming up behind me???

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            I believe we are gullible souls!!!

Come to think of it, going forward I am going to ignore all those lights and paint and goofy signs, and drive as I feel.

Hey, what's the siren sound and spinning light coming up behind me???
            Ah, pay me no mind...I'm the man who lost his mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
              Ah, pay me no mind...I'm the man who lost his mind.
              Pay you no mind....but dude, you're one of a kind!

Comment

Pay you no mind....but dude, you're one of a kind!

Cheers, bud!

---------------------------

You sing a song
                While sitting at a red light.
                You think of home

Too slow to roll
                Put your life on hold.
                An open path
                With nowhere to go.
                You start to wonder

---Jonny Lang

Comment

Every single one worked for me on my return journey from my mini vacation last week

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                    Every single one worked for me on my return journey from my mini vacation last week
                    Was that at sea or on land?
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                      Don't you hate when your cruise ship or plane is moving along nicely....... and then another dreaded red light? :brick:

*sorry, back to Jawsie

Comment

Don't you hate when your cruise ship or plane is moving along nicely....... and then another dreaded red light? :brick:

*sorry, back to Jawsie
                        Red Right Returning; plus starboard running lights are green, port side red. Need lights at sea, too.

P.S. I'm assuming Madam Chomp sometimes travels by sea.

Comment

On land, in the east, just the right side of the thousand + year old partition known as Offa's Dyke between the land of song and the "other place".
                          I stealthily pounced every now and then and enjoyed a few Saxon snacks during my stay

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                            On land, in the east, just the right side of the thousand + year old partition known as Offa's Dyke between the land of song and the "other place".
                            I stealthily pounced every now and then and enjoyed a few Saxon snacks during my stay
                            Wasn't King Offa the last great king of Mercia? Is the ditch still visible where the road goes by?

Comment

Wasn't King Offa the last great king of Mercia? Is the ditch still visible where the road goes by?
                              The middle section in particular has well preserved long stretches of the ditch/bank.
                              Pretty amazing for something constructed in the 8th century!
                              The best way to see it is by walking the 177 mile trail.

Comment

Working...
                              X