Can There Be Too Much Fireworks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can There Be Too Much Fireworks?

Most people like fireworks. They captivate us. Some of them go beyond expectation, flashing up the sky, accompanied by some pretty interesting sounds....some explosive, some hard to describe, but fun.

On Canada Day, this past Saturday, I had the fortune to watch a local fireworks event, which was quite entertaining. It was not the biggest demonstration in my city, but it was fairly long, and contained a nice package of 'works. I then watched the display from Ottawa, our nation's capital, and it was very lengthy, and quite impressive. But at some point I was thinking...."this is getting a little long and in some ways, repetitive." A couple of times I thought it meant be coming to an end, but no.....it continued. Then I was thinking, "anytime soon is fine by me!"

Now, I was not there in person, so the effect is not the same. But can fireworks go a little too long? Is the thrill good for a certain timeframe, and then it's time to give the eyes a rest? In that regard, what's the longest display you have ever seen? I'm thinking 30 minutes is pretty lengthy, but I assume that these things can go on for much longer. Is the payback there, given they can be very expensive?

Just another "meaningless" thought from my ole brain. Then again, tomorrow is July 4th....so I expect that many of you will be enjoying a great show in the sky. And I suspect some will want it to go on and on and on. Have fun with it!!!:usa:

Can There Be Too Much Fireworks? YES! Around my neighborhood people start lighting them at least a week before Independence Day and usually about a week after, they are almost all firecrackers and bottle rockets and those are just annoying ... I hate them. I am tolerant of whatever on the 4th of July though. Anything that goes pop or flies are illegal in Colorado; why can't people just save it until the 4th and only the 4th? Rant done!

Now public displays by cities, ballparks etc. I like to watch but I think about 20-30 minutes is enough. As you stated Can, at some point it just gets repetitive and probably the older I get the less "exciting" they are - seen that before, nothing new.
    My dad always said "why buy fireworks? Its just like burning money" of course as a kid I disagreed with him; now? Not so much, I probably haven't bought fireworks in over a quarter century. Ultimately, I would be just fine without fireworks.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
      Can There Be Too Much Fireworks? YES! Around my neighborhood people start lighting them at least a week before Independence Day and usually about a week after, they are almost all firecrackers and bottle rockets and those are just annoying ... I hate them. I am tolerant of whatever on the 4th of July though. Anything that goes pop or flies are illegal in Colorado; why can't people just save it until the 4th and only the 4th? Rant done!

Now public displays by cities, ballparks etc. I like to watch but I think about 20-30 minutes is enough. As you stated Can, at some point it just gets repetitive and probably the older I get the less "exciting" they are - seen that before, nothing new.
      My dad always said "why buy fireworks? Its just like burning money" of course as a kid I disagreed with him; now? Not so much, I probably haven't bought fireworks in over a quarter century. Ultimately, I would be just fine without fireworks.
      Too tag onto the first part I will add in those who decide that launching those off at 4 am are to much. They made them legal this year in Iowa at certain times and just like before when they were illegal no one follows the rules

Adopted Broncos:
      (2011-2013) Eric Decker
      (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
      (2019-Current) Drew Lock
      Adopted posters:
      Everyone

Comment

They've been setting them off in my neighborhood for the last three nights ... too much. Hate seeing my dog start shaking then go hide in the shower. Hurts my feelings the effect they have on animals. The one lucky thing for me, is my dog who it effected the most has gone deaf. He's much easier to handle on July 4th and New Years now.
        sigpic
        Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
        Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
        Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
        Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

4 years ago we moved to Rainier, a tiny rural Western WA town with no stoplights, no grocery store...shoot, we don't even have a policeman. We love it except around July 4 (and New Years Eve). The fireworks madness begins every July 1st and usually runs until the 5th. This year has been no exception, beginning Saturday the 1st, off and on explosions all day and then the seriously noisy stuff that shoots into the sky at dark until midnight or later. To make things worse, we have a neighbor who fires off a cannon (yes, a real cannon) at random times of the celebratory week. All the "civilized" cities around us like Tumwater, Lacey & Olympia (the state capitol) have banned all fireworks, but there's no chance Rainier (or the smaller nearby cities) will ever do that...we're kind of the wild wild west out here.

It absolutely terrorizes our dog. This year though we got the vet to prescribe some doggy xanax and we put her in her kennel in the most sound-insulated room in the house (a walk in closet with no windows) and play some calming music in there. She still freaks out during the day but at least she's calmer at night with our new strategy.

The craziest thing about our lack of fireworks restrictions is that the South Puget Sound area is home to the largest combined military (Air Force & Army) base in the country, "Joint Base Lewis McCord" or "JBLM". Meaning we have one of the largest populations of former military in the country and I can only imagine what random unexpected explosions to do our local vets with PTSD. I have PTSD (though not from serving in the military) and I'm a nervous wreck this time of year. I wish WA would just ban them state-wide and only allow each city to put on an officially controlled "fireworks display". One thing that complicates the situation is the local Native American tribes sell most of the fireworks for our county. I hate to see a group who struggles with staying above the poverty level forced to give up a source of income, but I dread the first week of July when I feel like I'm living in a war zone.
          "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
          PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
          LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

I HATE fireworks, partly because of my bad headaches
            "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

O I should add that I do enjoy the fireworks done by professionals as they are usually at a consistent time and can be fun to watch. Heck I spent a good part of my boot camp watching the fireworks every night gong off at Sea world. Fun to watch as I drifted off to sleep lol.

Adopted Broncos:
              (2011-2013) Eric Decker
              (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
              (2019-Current) Drew Lock
              Adopted posters:
              Everyone

Comment

Well last night the sonic mayhem lasted non-stop from 9pm until 1:30am. We're not talking about firecrackers and your basic sparkly stuff, my crazy neighbors buy the industrial grade stuff like they shoot off the Space Needle. The only thing I like about July 4th is the morning of July 5th
                "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Working...
                X