I Suck At Social Media Etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Suck At Social Media Etiquette

I am not the most studious dude when it comes to new things. I fail to read all the instructions. I jump in without checking to see if there's "water in the pool". I do things my way, when my way is the wrong way.

I dropped Facebook not too long after I first signed up, primarily because I do not like a constant barrage of, "look what I had for lunch", and "here's my pictures of the mountains", and "wanna be my friend". Plus other than this site, I minimize my time on social media to almost ziltch. I'm big on sports (.coms), and interesting stuff, but people can get a little carried away with themselves at times. Luv em, but....

So....my wife and one of my kids tell me it's time to get on Instagram. I do so but without even knowing what I would want it for. Some folks asked to follow, so I accepted. But now what? You see, my game is making comments, not posting pics/videos. I can do it, but I like dialogue (other than what we had for lunch yadda yadda). So right away I start making comments to some of the folks, to which my wife and youngest tell me I am overdoing it. Hey, Instagram etiquette??? What the heck!!!

And to be sure, I suck at a lot of etiquette. For example, even here. When I was getting used to familiar forums, I decided to expand into other ones....which is similar to what most people probably do. But I jumped into some threads without realizing that there was some format already established, and I was free wheeling it! Like the Daily Fun Facts and Trivia thread, when I jumped into it with some trivia or whatever, clearly not having a clue what I was doing!!! What a goofus!!! Luckily I don't recall Joe getting mad at me.....but I attribute it to him being a pal, and probably realizing that I was not exactly sharp at times....thx Joe, wherever you may be!:thumb:

Anyway....posted a nice, juicy bbq'd sandwich I made for supper, because.....Instagram likes pics. Have a nice bird video from our backyard, which I will also post, because....Instagram likes videos. But truth is, I may not be a good match for this app. I have bad social media etiquette, and I am not as keen as I thought I'd be about the Instagram world.

So now.....though it may be some years, I think I may actually return to Facebook! I kind of miss "the network". I also miss offering comments without the need for pics. I could do both, but we will see.

And yes, because some of my kid's friends actually wanted to follow me, I feel a responsibility to post some more pics/videos. And yes, I will like theirs.

So I guess social media and I are going to be friends again. Just not too often. Just with a small group. Just by my rules.....
    Last edited by CanDB; 07-20-2017, 11:17 AM.

I've never been big on FB, but love it when it comes to the grandbaby. I use it more now for that... never got into instagram, noticed most the friends I had on FB left for instagram. I guess if I want to get back in touch with some folks, I'll have to move to instagram. Nah.... I'll just stick to the forums, because I prefer wasting time here more so than on most social media.
    sigpic
    Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
    Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

Comment

Definitely have a love/hate relationship with social media. It sounds weird perhaps, but I miss the mystery surrounding folks. I think too much information (or perhaps superficial information) possibly tarnishes bonds.

I’d much prefer the banter shared here. :thumb:
      To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

And then I wonder......

what's the next social media "toy"????

Comment

Adopted Poster
          AZ Snake Fan

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post

So cool! I could have put at least two of my threads together with one......including my starting to cook again thread.

Hey K....do these people keep cooking when we close the thread??? (Hey, the food has to be made!!)

Comment

Off The Grid...

I am not in tight with social media. If I was younger I would be for sure. But I have a simple phone (that allows me to call/text), and I have minimal Facebook, Instagram and twitter involvement. I read the paper every day, and tune in to various shows to stay current with news, markets and stories of interest. Essentially I watch sports, and follow stats and stories daily. My emailing is down to its lowest level since I first started.

When we go away, I pretty much go off the grid when it comes to social activity. My wife has a smart phone, and sometimes I bring a tablet, which provides what I need.....but I seldom use. In some locals, even with wifi the service is extremely slow, and not worth the effort.

Bottom line, going away for 4 or 5 days, or even weeks does not make life terrifying for me, to be off the grid. Sure, I am no longer young and connected, or in the permanent workforce, so my needs are different. In fact my needs are satisfied by all there is to see and do in another great city or vacation venue. Still get in some tv, and my wife shares some "internet" details, but really.....going off the grid is medicinal to some degree, and I would recommend it from time to time. Other than emergencies, and there usually are ways to keep those channels alive (via my wife, and instructions we supply those looking out for our place), we humanoids CAN exist minus these devices. Or how's this, take a peak or two every day at your devices, and for the majority of your time away just enjoy the world in front of you. In fact, too many folks miss out on the good stuff that surrounds them on a trip, because they are deep into their old worlds. Hey, why not add to what you already know, and experience the scenery, smells, foods, culture (and so much more) that your vacation is rewarding you with!

:thumb:

Comment

I would not say I am plugged in by any means. But, I find I prefer to get my news via the internet and watch little television.

I know smart phones can do many things; but the truth is, I don't care. I don't mind being a little behind technology or as I like to call it, 'low-tech'. At least in my leisure time anyways.

So, I don't know about going totally off the grid, but I think choosing to use technology as a tool rather than a culture is an important distinction to make.
                sigpic

Comment

Ah, going off grid from time to time is bliss in my opinion. It’s like reacquainting with yesteryear…or life sans the daily barrage of what everyone is eating, or watching on TV, or doing at that very moment. It’s nice.

There’s a neat hotel in Yosemite National Park called the Wawona (or due to a legal squabble with a miserable greedy company it’s temporarily named ‘Big Trees Lodge’). If you get a room in the original main building (constructed in the 19th century), there is no Wifi, no cellular reception, and no televisions. Your “entertainment” is socializing in the lobby with cocktails and piano music. It feels so strange to be “stranded” from our usual data sources, but it’s also liberating in its own way.

Technology is certainly great…but I think the notion, “everything in moderation” holds true there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                    I would not say I am plugged in by any means. But, I find I prefer to get my news via the internet and watch little television.

I know smart phones can do many things; but the truth is, I don't care. I don't mind being a little behind technology or as I like to call it, 'low-tech'. At least in my leisure time anyways.

So, I don't know about going totally off the grid, but I think choosing to use technology as a tool rather than a culture is an important distinction to make.
                    Agreed...and I'll retweet that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                      Ah, going off grid from time to time is bliss in my opinion. It’s like reacquainting with yesteryear…or life sans the daily barrage of what everyone is eating, or watching on TV, or doing at that very moment. It’s nice.

There’s a neat hotel in Yosemite National Park called the Wawona (or due to a legal squabble with a miserable greedy company it’s temporarily named ‘Big Trees Lodge’). If you get a room in the original main building (constructed in the 19th century), there is no Wifi, no cellular reception, and no televisions. Your “entertainment” is socializing in the lobby with cocktails and piano music. It feels so strange to be “stranded” from our usual data sources, but it’s also liberating in its own way.

Technology is certainly great…but I think the notion, “everything in moderation” holds true there as well.
                      I was expecting a reply from you G, given your getaways from time to time. But what a wonderful notion, to be isolated to some degree, but able to socialize if one wants to. Even if only for short periods.

Truth is, the longer you are away, the less dependent you become on the technical devices. However, another benefit is that you really look forward to specific aspects of "the grid", once you return. Perhaps we best co-exist, as need be.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                        I was expecting a reply from you G, given your getaways from time to time. But what a wonderful notion, to be isolated to some degree, but able to socialize if one wants to. Even if only for short periods.

Truth is, the longer you are away, the less dependent you become on the technical devices. However, another benefit is that you really look forward to specific aspects of "the grid", once you return. Perhaps we best co-exist, as need be.
                        That’s very true – it’s almost like receiving a letter from someone you haven’t heard from in a while. :thumb:

Until the next techno-burnout demands another e-vacation.

Comment

There is another topic that I love very much, which closely resembles this one.

OFF THE GRIDDLE

As in pancakes, waffles and an assortment of great breakfast/lunch/supper goodies!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post

The great sage has spoken.

Excellent point!

Comment

take it off.....

:thumb:

Comment

Working...
                              X