X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eclipse

Don't want to miss this one!

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/
    On Monday, August 21, 2017, all of North America will be treated to an eclipse of the sun. Anyone within the path of totality can see one of nature’s most awe inspiring sights - a total solar eclipse. This path, where the moon will completely cover the sun and the sun's tenuous atmosphere - the corona - can be seen, will stretch from Salem, Oregon to Charleston, South Carolina. Observers outside this path will still see a partial solar eclipse where the moon covers part of the sun's disk. NASA created this website to provide a guide to this amazing event. Here you will find activities, events, broadcasts, and resources from NASA and our partners across the nation.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves....

So for now on when someone says that I am "in the dark" as usual, I will more aptly describe myself as in the path of totality. Kind of sounds pretty awesome in that "light".

Wish we were on that line come August, but it given where we live (close to The US border), should be pretty cool!!

Comment

For anyone that has not seen one if these, they are a really cool experience. I got to experience one a long time ago and it is like when it gets dark in the evening, but only it happens middle of the day, then it gets bright again shortly after. Hopefully, I can catch part of this one being near the path.
      sigpic

Comment

Anyone close enough to the path of totality to take a road trip into it, won't be disappointed! Viewing a total solar eclipse is probably a once in a lifetime event for most people.

I know its probably been said a million and one times, but just as a public service message, don't look at it without a solar filter, eclipse glasses, or welder mask level of protection for your peepers.

You're about to get seriously mooned - enjoy the show!
        To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
          Anyone close enough to the path of totality to take a road trip into it, won't be disappointed! Viewing a total solar eclipse is probably a once in a lifetime event for most people.

I know its probably been said a million and one times, but just as a public service message, don't look at it without a solar filter, eclipse glasses, or welder mask level of protection for your peepers.

You're about to get seriously mooned - enjoy the show!
          I was going to mention as well. Some folks think that an edge of the sun is not harmful to the direct eye. Don't let the lack of overall brightness fool you.

On another note.....I remember some story about how, in the olden days, some dude knew there was an eclipse coming on, and he used it to negotiate with his opponents, as in, I'll bring the sun back if you agree to my terms. I mean, how could he have known so much??

Hmmmmm....maybe I'll use it myself on some unsuspecting "negotiators". Marijuana will be legalized up here next year, but maybe I can meet up with some folks who are practicing, and perhaps make a deal that they can't quite fathom, given their loss of certain senses....."hey dudes, if you want the sun back, you're going to have to hand over those munchies!!"

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            I was going to mention as well. Some folks think that an edge of the sun is not harmful to the direct eye. Don't let the lack of overall brightness fool you.

On another note.....I remember some story about how, in the olden days, some dude knew there was an eclipse coming on, and he used it to negotiate with his opponents, as in, I'll bring the sun back if you agree to my terms. I mean, how could he have known so much??

Hmmmmm....maybe I'll use it myself on some unsuspecting "negotiators". Marijuana will be legalized up here next year, but maybe I can meet up with some folks who are practicing, and perhaps make a deal that they can't quite fathom, given their loss of certain senses....."hey dudes, if you want the sun back, you're going to have to hand over those munchies!!"
            Haha! That's classic!

When negotiating deals, a little help from above (or a bud) is always welcome! :thumb:
            To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

I guess a lot of people will go to Casper or the Grand Tetons in order to experience it.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Thanks for the information, dizzolve. We'll get a partial solar eclipse here, but still excited.
                Administrator

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Procrastination sometimes is not a good thing. Been looking for solar glasses and can't find them anywhere At least not at a price I want to pay. Local libraries are giving them out free for their Solar Event, but limited amount. Might have to try that.
                  Administrator

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                    Procrastination sometimes is not a good thing. Been looking for solar glasses and can't find them anywhere At least not at a price I want to pay. Local libraries are giving them out free for their Solar Event, but limited amount. Might have to try that.
                    I think I found a 3 pack on Ebay for like 20 bucks. Not exactly cheap but NASA approved them - and you want to trust a product in this case

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                      I think I found a 3 pack on Ebay for like 20 bucks. Not exactly cheap but NASA approved them - and you want to trust a product in this case
                      That's not bad. I had checked eBay before I posted above. Did not see anything reasonable. Checked again last night, saw a couple of possibilities. While waiting for those, new auctions kept popping up. One was for a 6 pack for $15.00 BIN, free shipping. Said it was ISO, so I bought them. I guess I'm not the only one who procrastinated. They were going fast and some at very high prices.

I don't mind people making a profit. The ones that really irk me are the ones that Amazon had to recall because they were not safe. Endangering someone's vision to make a profit?

Seller is in Kentucky so they should be here in time. Now we just need it to be clear skies all across the US.
                      Administrator

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                        That's not bad. I had checked eBay before I posted above. Did not see anything reasonable. Checked again last night, saw a couple of possibilities. While waiting for those, new auctions kept popping up. One was for a 6 pack for $15.00 BIN, free shipping. Said it was ISO, so I bought them. I guess I'm not the only one who procrastinated. They were going fast and some at very high prices.

I don't mind people making a profit. The ones that really irk me are the ones that Amazon had to recall because they were not safe. Endangering someone's vision to make a profit?

Seller is in Kentucky so they should be here in time. Now we just need it to be clear skies all across the US.
                        HOLY COW!!! I didn't do it on purpose as i didn't think they would sell out, but i bought mine a month ago. 10 pk for 12 bucks....i cant believe the price of them now! Pure luck for me, sorry about your bad luck though
                        sigpic
                        BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Comment

We're heading to Nebraska and we'll be right in the path of totality! I've only seen partial solar eclipses before so this will be a special event.
                          sigpic

Comment

Watch out for fakes
                            http://www.wral.com/buyer-beware-fak...jury/16879791/

Here's a list of approved brands
                            https://eclipse.aas.org/resources/solar-filters
                            Go to the link and the list will link you
                            Solar Viewer Brands
                            American Paper Optics (Eclipser) / EclipseGlasses.com / 3dglassesonline.com
                            APM Telescopes (Sunfilter Glasses)*
                            Baader Planetarium (AstroSolar Silver/Gold Film)* [see note]
                            Celestron (EclipSmart Glasses & Viewers)
                            DayStar (Solar Glasses)
                            Explore Scientific (Solar Eclipse Sun Catcher Glasses)
                            Halo Solar Eclipse Spectacles
                            Lunt Solar Systems (SUNsafe SUNglasses) [see their unique kid-size eclipse glasses]
                            Meade Instruments (EclipseView Glasses & Viewers)
                            Rainbow Symphony (Eclipse Shades)
                            Seymour Solar (Helios Glasses)
                            Solar Eclipse International / Cangnan County Qiwei Craft Co.* (plastic glasses only)
                            Thousand Oaks Optical (Silver-Black Polymer & SolarLite)
                            TSE 17 / 110th.de (Solar Filter Foil)*
                            Astronomy, Science & Optics Vendors
                            Adler Planetarium [sold out]
                            Adorama Camera
                            Agena AstroProducts
                            Alpine Astronomical
                            AmericanEclipseUSA.com
                            American Museum of Natural History [sold out]
                            American Science & Surplus
                            AstroBox/EclipseKit.com
                            Astronomers Without Borders
                            Astronomical Society of the Pacific
                            Astronomy Magazine / My Science Shop
                            Astroshop.eu
                            Astrozap Telescopes & Accessories
                            Avenues of the Sky
                            B&H Photo Video
                            Chabot Space & Science Center [sold out]
                            Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
                            Company Seven
                            Connecticut Science Center [sold out]
                            David Chandler Company
                            Daylight Sky (plastic glasses only)
                            Discover Magazine / My Science Shop
                            EarthSky.org
                            Eclipse2017.org
                            Eclipse for a Cause [sold out]
                            EclipseGlasses.co.uk
                            EclipSpecs / Science Gear (iXXi) [sold out]
                            EclipseStuff.com
                            Explore One
                            Flinn Scientific
                            Fort Worth Museum of Science & History [sold out]
                            GreatAmericanEclipse.com
                            Great Lakes Science Center [sold out]
                            Griffith Observatory [sold out]
                            High Point Scientific
                            ICSTARS
                            Khan Scope Centre
                            Land Sea & Sky
                            Liberty Science Center [sold out]
                            Lire la Nature & Astronomie Plus
                            MMI Corporation
                            Museum of Science, Boston [sold out]
                            Museum of Science+Industry Chicago [sold out]
                            NationalEclipse.com
                            New York Hall of Science [sold out]
                            Oceanside Photo & Telescope
                            Online Science Mall
                            Ontario Telescope & Accessories
                            Optics Planet
                            Orange County Telescope
                            Orion Telescopes & Binoculars
                            Science City at Union Station
                            Sky & Telescope Magazine / Shop at Sky
                            SkyNews Magazine
                            Space Racers / AugustEclipse.com
                            Space Update
                            Spectrum Telescope [sold out]
                            Starizona
                            STEMcell Science Shop / Mudge Scientific
                            Steve Spangler Science [sold out]
                            The Planetary Society
                            The Tech Museum of Innovation, San Jose [sold out]
                            Woodland Hills Camera & Telescopes
                            That eclipse page added this .....

Note: It may be too late to buy solar viewers in time for August 21st. Most vendors are sold out!
                            See our pinhole projection page for other ways to enjoy the partial phases of the eclipse.
                            Last edited by dizzolve; 08-15-2017, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dipablo View Post
                              HOLY COW!!! I didn't do it on purpose as i didn't think they would sell out, but i bought mine a month ago. 10 pk for 12 bucks....i cant believe the price of them now! Pure luck for me, sorry about your bad luck though
                              Compared to some of the prices I saw (6 for $30.00+, 12 for $50.00+), I was happy to get the deal that I did. As I said, it was just listed and by the time I got mine, they were sold out.

Originally posted by 80stheman View Post
                              We're heading to Nebraska and we'll be right in the path of totality! I've only seen partial solar eclipses before so this will be a special event.
                              Awesome! I don't have the equipment to safely take eclipse pictures. Maybe you can share with us? Be careful.

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                              Watch out for fakes
                              http://www.wral.com/buyer-beware-fak...jury/16879791/

Here's a list of approved brands
                              https://eclipse.aas.org/resources/solar-filters
                              Go to the link and the list will link you

That eclipse page added this .....
                              Thanks for the information. I'll check mine with the list.

The pinhole thing was going to be my last resort. From the NASA page, it says you can do it with your hands or see it through a leafy tree. I have both, so I might check it out. That method kind of intrigues me.
                              Administrator

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer

Comment

Working...
                              X