Cats Like To Bring Home Gifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cats Like To Bring Home Gifts

Saw a cat today, running across a street with no doubt a gift for its owners......a mouse!

We used to have a wonderful cat! She was a special pal. She lived a long life, had several kittens (that we gave to people who wanted them), and was as friendly to humans as one can be. She was always there to greet the kids from school, and would sit by my feet whenever I sat down to watch tv.

She was also tough. She would not shy away from any fight, though we fortunately kept her from getting into many....and this when our city allowed cats to roam freely (although some still do, as I mentioned above).

But yes, especially when we lived just outside the city (in a very nice neighborhood), where we had lots of space, and lots of interesting creatures milling about. And of course our cat was adept at hunting, so guess what she would bring home occasionally? Yes, open the door, and there she was, with her "gift". What makes cats think we humans like mice as gifts!?!?

So of course...."no thanks" was our answer.

But even as strange as this offering seems, it does say something about cats. That they have these instincts. To show off their catch. Too bad they were not better at finding money, or say, gold pieces. I would have let her in "instantly" had she brought home those type of things.

And you know what....I miss having her around, because every so often (maybe every few years) mice will show up on our property. No way would they bother us anymore if she was around. Like the time I had to re-insulate some of the garage, when a family decided to move in for the winter, no thanks to the bird seed we had foolishly left exposed. But it could be much worse, and though one might be seen sparingly (and we put out a trap or two just in case), they often move on. But our cat would have made it clear whose property they were trying to make into a home.

Trouble is, she might have tried to show them around the house as well.....in good faith of course!

Cats are cool! I’ve always been a bit of a dog person, myself…but have to give some love to the felines.

"Singin' the blues while the lady cats cry,
    'Wild stray cat, you're a real gone guy.'
    I wish I could be as carefree and wild,
    But I got cat class and I got cat style."
    To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
      Cats are cool! I’ve always been a bit of a dog person, myself…but have to give some love to the felines.

"Singin' the blues while the lady cats cry,
      'Wild stray cat, you're a real gone guy.'
      I wish I could be as carefree and wild,
      But I got cat class and I got cat style."
      We thought our pet days were over, but we are being "influenced" by one of our kids to get a puppy.....and it is starting to break me down. They are so cute that I may cave, and get one. We'll see.

If I met this little one, I could not resist....

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        We thought our pet days were over, but we are being "influenced" by one of our kids to get a puppy.....and it is starting to break me down. They are so cute that I may cave, and get one. We'll see.

If I met this little one, I could not resist....

Animals are so awesome. They have their own unique personalities.

My parents have a really weird cat - this thing will do a drive-by ankle bite on you…if he likes you, that is. He’ll just run up, bite your leg, then run off. If he doesn’t like you then he’s just skittish. Funny critter.

I say go for it, with the puppy adoption! Our dog is a rescue, and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made…he’s the nucleus of our little family.
        To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Animals have such unique personalities as Lumiere mentioned ... always been a dog person as well, but will admit to being the crazy person on our street that feeds the stray cats. Can't help it, it started about five years ago. This little cat showed up, was obviously domesticated... somebody probably moved and left him behind. I always buy the smallest bag of cat food, because it was suppose to be temporary, I would feed him as long as he stayed around. 5 years later still buying cat food all the time to feed him when he stops by. My dog Bear loves him too, always has to run outside to say hello to the kitty when he comes by.

I have used a mobile vet for years, because I don't like to stress my dogs out by taking them to the vet. For several years she's been asking me when I'm gonna get my cat it's shots. She tells me I'm in denial if I don't think it's my cat.

As far as the fun gifts animals bring us, I'm thankful I've never been brought a mouse. I couldn't handle it. I could barely handle it when my buddy, Jake who is no longer with us would bring me dead birds. Made me cry when I had to take a dead bird from him, because he was so proud he brought it in the house to show us.

All in all, just saying CanDB, you should get a dog! And rescue dogs are the best dogs ever!
          sigpic
          Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
          Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
          Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
          Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

Comment

You folks are making it hard for me to say "no". I do think it might be a wise decision, because we "empty nesters" may need to add back to the nest. Pets can definitely bring warmth and fun to a home. I do miss aspects of it.......minus the free mouse delivery!

Comment

Cats?!

Are you kidding me?

What's next? Bubble baths? Scented tissue?

Dude? Really? Breathe some ammonia, wake up, and go get your man-card out of your wife's purse.

Cats?!?!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                Cats?!

Are you kidding me?

What's next? Bubble baths? Scented tissue?

Dude? Really? Breathe some ammonia, wake up, and go get your man-card out of your wife's purse.

Cats?!?!
                Good theatre......

Comment

Working...
                X