Do You Dare Send Food Back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Dare Send Food Back?

I think I have written about my dear sister before, and how she regularly sends restaurant food back, or asks all sorts of questions about its preparation, and so on. We are used to it, and pretty much expect it. Hey, we all have a right to ask about the food we are getting, or how it was cooked. And yes, I have sent food back in my life....but not often. Why? Well, I think most of you know that certain cooks are not impressed when customers send food back. In fact, word has it that some of them may resort to their own special tactics......and without going into too much detail (lets keep this nice, because after all, we do tend to eat, and we do tend to enjoy thinking positive things about food) lets just say they have been known to drop food on the floor, and that's putting it nicely!

So, knowing that chefs are easily offended....do you dare? Is it worth the potential downside?

To be sure, I have been served bad food in my life. The worst case for me is when it is uncooked, which could lead to some very bad outcomes (intestinally). This was actually the case when we were on a cruise ship, and the chicken was not cooked to the bone! Once I dug in and realized that it was very red, I quickly brought it to the attention of the staff, as well as other cruise ship folks. Luckily it was not a case of being served individual selections, so no worries about potential "I'll get you back for that." That's the beauty of buffets. Luckily I did not get sick over it, but I did feel obligated to tell the folks about it. This was more than me involved.

So folks....complain or not complain? For me, there are times when you should. I am not big on undercooked or when something foreign comes with it (and I am not talking "foreigners"!)

(Remember....please keep the descriptions out of the "gross" department!!):thumb:

I rarely complain about served food, not because I'm concerned about "culinary retaliation" from the chef, but more because I'm just not that picky. Besides, I'm color blind as a bat and couldn't tell pink raw chicken from cooked chicken if my life depended on it...which I guess it sort of does, huh? I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I've complained about food in a restaurant situation and it usually ended with the server comping my meal with me declining to get a replacement dish: Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

If I don't like something, I just drown it in pepper and I'm good to go
    Last edited by Dennis.1960; 09-15-2017, 02:34 PM.
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
      I rarely complain about served food, not because I'm concerned about "culinary retaliation" from the chef, but more because I'm just not that picky. Besides, I'm color blind as a bat and couldn't tell pink raw chicken from cooked chicken if my life depended on it...which I guess it sort of does, huh? I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I've complained about food in a restaurant situation and it usually ended with the server comping my meal with me declining to get a replacement dish: Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

If I don't like something, I just drown it in pepper and I'm good to go
      OMG....next time my sister comes to town, can we please substitute you for her!!! (I still luvs her!!)

Comment

I'm not too picky.. but if my meat comes too pink I can't eat it even if they finished cooking it. So I won't send it back. I'll just cite change of appetite or loss of appetite and order something else or just not eat.

I've seen how chefs retaliate. And I've watched Waiting....
        *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
        *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
        *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Nope. I worked in the food industry a looooonnnnggg time ago. I’ve seen what kitchen workers have done to other people’s food when they have felt slighted in some way. Like Dennis says, I’ll just mask the flavor and “down it.”

The only exception is if I’m in an extremely nice restaurant and have an issue with my food. Of course, in an extremely nice restaurant that very rarely ever happens (it has happened exactly one time in my life). Otherwise no, food never goes back.
          To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Hmmmm....so far it appears that my sister is walking on a very thin rope, based on your responses. I basically concur. I will admit that occasionally I get a coffee that is not really even warm, but all I ask is for them to throw it in the microwave and all is good. But often those kind waiters//waitresses will bring me a whole new cup. Hmmmm....might have to rethink that. There could be coffee cooks that get their undergarments in a knot!

Comment

lol this is Funny thread

I always try to respect those who are about to serve my food. I never understood why people would raise holy hell about something ..... or send it back with an attitude .... you just never know what's coming back.

I'd rather not speculate that something 'might' have been done to it
              The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Another distant memory......I once picked up a burger at local burger place, and when I got home and took it out, it had a hair (that was definitely not mine) in it. I was much younger and hungry....so I returned with it. The cashier was ok about it, but then she did something I did not appreciate. She went on the PA system where the cooks were working and said to make another burger because the one they made had a hair in it.

WHY???

And she seemed like one of the gang, as opposed to someone sending a directive of some sort to the gang at the back.

I told her that I wish she hadn't described the situation.....she could have just ordered another burger. Though I was hungry, I immediately became cautious.

Who knows what I took home that night? But I sense that a horror movie had a real storyline as a result.
                Last edited by CanDB; 09-15-2017, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
                  I've seen how chefs retaliate. And I've watched Waiting....
                  Watch a few episodes of "Restaurant Impossible" or "Kitchen Nightmares" and you may never return something or ever eat out again

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
                    Watch a few episodes of "Restaurant Impossible" or "Kitchen Nightmares" and you may never return something or ever eat out again
                    OK...thx for the tip. And can we also agree as a team that we WILL NOT talk about what is actually in the food we like. I do not need to think about the ingredients in that hot dog I can't wait to consume at a game, or when I have a craving for one!!:brick:

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                      Another distant memory......I once picked up a burger at local burger place, and when I got home and took it out, it had a hair (that was definitely not mine) in it. I was much younger and hungry....so I returned with it. The cashier was ok about it, but then she did something I did not appreciate. She went on the PA system where the cooks were working and said to make another burger because the one they made had a hair in it.

WHY???

And she seemed like one of the gang, as opposed to someone sending a directive of some sort to the gang at the back.

I told her that I wish she hadn't described the situation.....she could have just ordered another burger. Though I was hungry, I immediately became cautious.

Who knows what I took home that night? But I sense that a horror movie had a real storyline as a result.
                      Oh, that burger was probably used to sweep the floor.

Ummm...the floor if you're lucky.
                      To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

I always worry about offending the waiter/waitress or cook ... I don't send food back, because I'm worried about what they'll do to it when I get it back ... for the most part for half my life now, if I'm out to dinner and get some nasty stuff I won't eat ...i pawn it off on my husband and take the delicious meal he had setting in front of him.... he never lets me forget some of the gross items he had to eat, because i refused to send it back
                        sigpic
                        Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                        Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                        Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
                        Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

I haven't been in a restaurant in 20 years, literally
                          "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                            OK...thx for the tip. And can we also agree as a team that we WILL NOT talk about what is actually in the food we like. I do not need to think about the ingredients in that hot dog I can't wait to consume at a game, or when I have a craving for one!!:brick:
                            Agreed. This is why I eat hot dogs and sausages with my eyes closed. Ignorance is bliss :dance:

Comment

I am selective about where I eat out and do not go to places where I would worry about someone on parole messing with my food. I typically avoid chain restaurants.

However, I hate it, I mean hate it, when I go through the line at Q-potle and ask for say, a chicken burrito bowl, and the person making it gives me a little-tiny spoonful of chicken and a whole bunch of rice and beans. I'm like, 'what? You got a chicken shortage back there? Give me some damn chicken!' And, then they are like, 'oh okay' and put on a couple more little pieces. I'm like really?! They just look at me-- with their gauges in their nose, blue hair, and neck tattoos. I am sure they wish they could retaliate-- but they can't behind the glass! Now give me more chicken!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X