X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancid
    replied
    Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
    If you have any questions about an aquaponic system or how to build one just ask. They are ridiculously easy to build! No need to pay several hundred dollars for one to be shipped!

1. Grow light - $15
    2.pump- $20
    3. grow bed ( I used food grade barrel from murdochs $25)
    4. grow media - Mine is big so I spent $50
    5. Fish- .99cents each
    6. Bell syphon - $8 of pvc from lowes, 2 rubber o-rings 59cents
    7. Seeds or plants- whatever you want. I spent $30 on all the special non gmo, non monsanto seeds. But I have a lot!!!!

Making the Bell siphon is really easy. It took me 1 day to make the entire thing. Now I can build one in about 45 minutes, now that I know what I am doing. I built one for my son that is not nearly as nice as my waterfall one, but that took about 20 minutes and he is using it for science fair project.

Ask away, I am not here often, but I will try and pop in- otherwise you can hit me up at broncosforums where I usually am.
    This is interesting. In my Colorado Suburban lot I have no room to grow anything and my house is on rock-- basement blasted. This looks like something I could do in my basement.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by dipablo View Post
    We have talked about doing aquaponics, I have some old college buddies who have one. they are sweet!
    This certainly is "food" for thought!:thumb:

Leave a comment:

• dipablo
    replied
    We have talked about doing aquaponics, I have some old college buddies who have one. they are sweet!

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
    If you have any questions about an aquaponic system or how to build one just ask. They are ridiculously easy to build! No need to pay several hundred dollars for one to be shipped!

1. Grow light - $15
    2.pump- $20
    5. Fish- .99cents each
    7. Seeds or plants- whatever you want. I spent $30 on all the special non gmo, non monsanto seeds. But I have a lot!!!!

Making the Bell siphon is really easy. It took me 1 day to make the entire thing. Now I can build one in about 45 minutes, now that I know what I am doing. I built one for my son that is not nearly as nice as my waterfall one, but that took about 20 minutes and he is using it for science fair project.

Ask away, I am not here often, but I will try and pop in- otherwise you can hit me up at broncosforums where I usually am.
    Hey pal....thx for the video and the details of how to build! Very intriguing!!

:thumb:

Leave a comment:

• underrated29
    replied

1. Grow light - $15
    2.pump- $20
    5. Fish- .99cents each

Leave a comment:

• underrated29
    replied
    Cool thread. Glad I popped in for a visit.

I have an aquaponic system that I grow all of my veggies and herbs in year round. I based it off of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ2aQel4L0A which is super cool btw. Mine I made into a waterfall. I do not have a picture, but maybe I will take one and upload it.

I am growing all kinds of cool stuff and they grow so fast. I started it all from seed, non gmo (even though the science behind GMO is totally fine- I still elected for non gmo)....I have eggplant, chocolate tomatoes, watermelon (size of cantelope), anaheim peppers, neopolitin peppers, jalapeno, banana, purple bell peppers, habanero peppers, cherry tomatoes, tamatillo, some bizarre type of Roma. I also have Broccoli, Butterleaf lettuce, cinnamon basil, regular basil, spinach, oregano, cumin, cilantro, mint, avacado (which will be transferred to its own system shortly as the tree is getting big, like 5 feet tall maybe? Looks like a mini palm tree. Its cool. I also have some other herbs growng, but cant think of which. All fed by 5 gold fish and 1 suck fish named Raider (obviously the sucker had to be raider).....All it takes is a pump and a grow light. Cost like $20 a year to maintain. I get all the veggies I need aside from Garlic and Onion to make my salsa and whatnot.

You should check one out. Super cool. Super easy to build and maintain. Plus, planting denser and grow times are increased like 10 fold. Since you grow it inside, no diseases or bugs either.

Leave a comment:

• dipablo
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    You are so lucky to be able to grow such a nice variety of fruit and vegetables! Are the fruit of high quality? Tasty?

Good stuff! This was prompted by simply eating a nice chunk of tomato yesterday, and realizing how fabulous it was, compared to recent store bought produce. "Farm to table" they call it.

BTW....many years back, in my earliest days here, there was a "green thumb" type thread, about produce growers within. We had some good dialogue. I may look it up. Just hit me as I wrote this response.
    Yea we are in zone 8 so we can grow quite a bit of things! Our biggest problem is a late freeze which the apricots are especially susceptible too. Everything else is delicious much better then store bought!

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    This is the thread I spoke about....

https://forums.denverbroncos.com/sho...ighlight=thumb

Flatlander Fan was one of our finest, as were many in that thread. One of the nicest folks I ever met "online". In fact, he was one of the reasons I started to really enjoy this board. He may show up here from time to time. I hope so. Quite the gardener, as were others in that thread. Brings back great memories!

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by dipablo View Post
    I love growing tomatoes! I usually order heritage varieties from special breeders. Also lots of Heritage Green Chile from NMSU. I also have peach, cherry, apricot and pear trees that we recently planted. We have grape vines we planted along the front fence. Love fresh produce!
    You are so lucky to be able to grow such a nice variety of fruit and vegetables! Are the fruit of high quality? Tasty?

Good stuff! This was prompted by simply eating a nice chunk of tomato yesterday, and realizing how fabulous it was, compared to recent store bought produce. "Farm to table" they call it.

BTW....many years back, in my earliest days here, there was a "green thumb" type thread, about produce growers within. We had some good dialogue. I may look it up. Just hit me as I wrote this response.
    Last edited by CanDB; 09-21-2017, 09:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dipablo
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    We grow tomatoes where I live, in fact, as a young teenager I worked a couple of summers on a market garden. Yes, I had green thumbs...and even the special soap we used had a battle those summers, trying to keep my hands clean. But we only have a short growing season, because as most of you can appreciate, tomatoes and other crops do not do well in winter conditions.

We had tacos tonight, and we added our our own freshly grown tomatoes, from our little garden. They may not be the best in the world, but without a doubt, if these were the only tomatoes I ever got to eat, I'd be fine with it. So tasty! Not like the store bought ones. More flavour.

Growing up, my Dad used to have a large garden, and he grew all kinds of great foods.....potatoes, peas, carrots, onions, beans, corn, and other varieties. They were wonderful food sources.....although I did not pay as much attention, because clearly I was young and thought it was the norm to grow your own. And when my wife and I moved our family to a nice residence just outside the city limits, we too had a large, bountiful garden. It was great!

Fruit is a challenge here, but apples and various berries do well. Hey, anything you can grow is of value. (Note: looks like we will be allowed to grow several type of plants conducive to giving one "the munchies" in a year or so. But lets leave that topic for another time.)

So...unless you live where fruit and vegetables abound year round (or close to it), and are as good as you can get, may I make a suggestion. That you try "freshly grown". The process is enlightening, and the end result...well, lets just say it is very, very tasty, and good for you at that.

Speaking of which, I think I'll enjoy another few slices of tomato tonight.....though sadly we do not have many left. I will savour every bite.
    I love growing tomatoes! I usually order heritage varieties from special breeders. Also lots of Heritage Green Chile from NMSU. I also have peach, cherry, apricot and pear trees that we recently planted. We have grape vines we planted along the front fence. Love fresh produce!

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    started a topic Freshly Grown

Freshly Grown

We grow tomatoes where I live, in fact, as a young teenager I worked a couple of summers on a market garden. Yes, I had green thumbs...and even the special soap we used had a battle those summers, trying to keep my hands clean. But we only have a short growing season, because as most of you can appreciate, tomatoes and other crops do not do well in winter conditions.

We had tacos tonight, and we added our our own freshly grown tomatoes, from our little garden. They may not be the best in the world, but without a doubt, if these were the only tomatoes I ever got to eat, I'd be fine with it. So tasty! Not like the store bought ones. More flavour.

Growing up, my Dad used to have a large garden, and he grew all kinds of great foods.....potatoes, peas, carrots, onions, beans, corn, and other varieties. They were wonderful food sources.....although I did not pay as much attention, because clearly I was young and thought it was the norm to grow your own. And when my wife and I moved our family to a nice residence just outside the city limits, we too had a large, bountiful garden. It was great!

Fruit is a challenge here, but apples and various berries do well. Hey, anything you can grow is of value. (Note: looks like we will be allowed to grow several type of plants conducive to giving one "the munchies" in a year or so. But lets leave that topic for another time.)

So...unless you live where fruit and vegetables abound year round (or close to it), and are as good as you can get, may I make a suggestion. That you try "freshly grown". The process is enlightening, and the end result...well, lets just say it is very, very tasty, and good for you at that.

Speaking of which, I think I'll enjoy another few slices of tomato tonight.....though sadly we do not have many left. I will savour every bite.
    Last edited by CanDB; 09-20-2017, 08:00 PM.
Working...
X