Looking For Puppy Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For Puppy Suggestions

I am not convinced about getting a dog, but we are talking about it. Just not sure I want to care for another "individual" at this point. But show me a cute puppy, and I will probably want to take it home!

OK....it can not be a big dog, because someday a condo will likely be in the cards, and they are sometimes quite strict. Perhaps 25 pounds as a limit. But I am not "big" on really "small" dogs. Sure seem to be a lot of poodle mixes these days, but I am not sold on them just yet. And if you have them, please do not take this wrong....they are very cute and from what I can tell, they are typically great pets!

So.....

- it can not be heavier than 25 pounds at maturity
    - good temperament
    - does not shed
    - easily trained (do not want a "barker")
    - likes people

That's a start.

Any suggestions?

(Thanks in advance!)

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    I am not convinced about getting a dog, but we are talking about it. Just not sure I want to care for another "individual" at this point. But show me a cute puppy, and I will probably want to take it home!

OK....it can not be a big dog, because someday a condo will likely be in the cards, and they are sometimes quite strict. Perhaps 25 pounds as a limit. But I am not "big" on really "small" dogs. Sure seem to be a lot of poodle mixes these days, but I am not sold on them just yet. And if you have them, please do not take this wrong....they are very cute and from what I can tell, they are typically great pets!

So.....

- it can not be heavier than 25 pounds at maturity
    - good temperament
    - does not shed
    - easily trained (do not want a "barker")
    - likes people

That's a start.

Any suggestions?

(Thanks in advance!)
    Not sure if you can get way from shedding altogether, especially in your climate, but a short haired breed would likely be less of a mess.

My first thought is a beagle for you.

check it out:

http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/beagle

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
      Not sure if you can get way from shedding altogether, especially in your climate, but a short haired breed would likely be less of a mess.

check it out:

I agree, Beagle was my first thought as well. If you want a non shedder and don't need a "pure bred" a poodle mix is your ticket. Labradoodle for example.

https://www.homesalive.ca/blog/dogs-...ic-dog-breeds/
      sigpic
      BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Comment

check it out:

Originally posted by dipablo View Post
        I agree, Beagle was my first thought as well. If you want a non shedder and don't need a "pure bred" a poodle mix is your ticket. Labradoodle for example.

https://www.homesalive.ca/blog/dogs-...ic-dog-breeds/
        Good advice from both of you! Thanx!! I have definitely thought about Beagles.

Methinks poodles are trying to take over the world. Not particularly fussy!

Comment

I have a 25 pound Corgi and a 10 pound Miniature Dachshund. The Corgi sheds far too much, but a Miniature Dachshund might check off enough boxes for you. They can be barkers, but as long as you train them well it shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by SecondsAway131 View Post
            I have a 25 pound Corgi and a 10 pound Miniature Dachshund. The Corgi sheds far too much, but a Miniature Dachshund might check off enough boxes for you. They can be barkers, but as long as you train them well it shouldn't be an issue.
            Thx pal....will look up Mini Dachshund's.

:thumb:

Comment

Weinerdogs are the best! Try the long-haired... it could just be my experience, but all the long-haired ones that I've met have had a much more relaxed temperament. Weiners can often have an aggressive nature bred into them (hunting dog), so definitely be careful when purchasing a pup. Make sure to meet it's rents.

As always, I highly suggest adopting over getting a puppy.

Last edited by Joshua2585; 09-21-2017, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                Good advice from both of you! Thanx!! I have definitely thought about Beagles.

Methinks poodles are trying to take over the world. Not particularly fussy!
                Any kind of poodle yapper drives me nuts, honestly.

Basenji (or a mix) is another one that's shorthaired, doesn't bark, very smart, nice, right size/weight range.

http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/basenji

Such dogs (beagles too) really need to be inside (in the Canadian climate, especially wintertime)and given sweaters when they go for walks -is that doable?

Comment

Keeps the pests away. :thumb:
                  :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                  sigpic

Comment

Housh is onto something, Dave -think outside the box more!

No shedding, barking, takes care of ants and grubs, very portable and compact -just may fit into your bowling bag!

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
                      Weinerdogs are the best! Try the long-haired... it could just be my experience, but all the long-haired ones that I've met have had a much more relaxed temperament. Weiners can often have an aggressive nature bred into them (hunting dog), so definitely be careful when purchasing a pup. Make sure to meet it's rents.

As always, I highly suggest adopting over getting a puppy.

Thx pal....

Comment

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post

Keeps the pests away. :thumb:

Housh is onto something, Dave -think outside the box more!

No shedding, barking, takes care of ants and grubs, very portable and compact -just may fit into your bowling bag!

Yes guys....outside the box. Boy, my Wife is going to be so surprised!!!!

As for canuck winters, yes, sweaters are expected for little doggies.
                        Last edited by CanDB; 09-21-2017, 05:22 PM.

Comment

these are good guard dogs i hear

sigpic
                          BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Comment

I did a lot of research on this and grew up with a mother that showed dogs and had multiple champion Akitas. I know a lot about dogs! You have to if you own Akitas.

I ended up doing a lot of research and there is no dog that meets your criteria other than a Basenji. It was not a 'cool' choice for me. Neither was a Corgi.

However, if you prefer one that is close to much of your criteria, an amazing watchdog and the most loyal breed. You will love an English Springer Spaniel-- as I love mine. What an amazing companion. They will always be under-foot, easy to train, allergy friendly, and they are clean. For our family, it was the perfect dog. I play fetch with mine every day. A tennis ball across the cul-de-sac.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipablo View Post
                              these are good guard dogs i hear

I assume it doesn't have any type of odor......

Comment

Working...
                              X