Looking For Puppy Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    That's priceless! It could be the next great pet!

Let's market that bad boy! :thumb:
    Well, I am thinking Service Armadillos sold to the blind as a low-maintenance alternative.

I mean its not like they need to be taught to fetch or play peek-a-boo or anything.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
      Well, I am thinking Service Armadillos sold to the blind as a low-maintenance alternative.

I mean its not like they need to be taught to fetch or play peek-a-boo or anything.
      That's probably the best bet. I'm not sure what the cranial capacity of these things are. I'd love to teach mine how to fetch a ball, or roll-up on command (command for that would be, "let's roll"), or hiss, or click, or whatever noise they make.

You're probably right. These things would be like a waddling blob...low maintenance snoozer.
      To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Other than our buddy Herbert, if someone can find me a puppy who does not need "washroom" support, I am interested!! I was thinking about surprising my wife with something "glossy" like this one.....

Comment

It sounds like you may be in the market for a cat!

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
            It sounds like you may be in the market for a cat!
            Ha ha.....our last pet was a cat, and she was a beauty!! One of the best cats we could have ever asked for. But if we are to get another pet, we figure a puppy would be the right fit. You know, "people's best friend". So loyal and friendly!

Just kiddin about the washroom thing.....but it would be nice!

Comment

The smallest dog I've ever owned is our siberian husky ... may be a mix, but isn't more than 45 lbs. I've thought several times what would be a good small dog, and think of the Russel Terriers ... I don't think they get very big. Have to admit though when I read your initial post of what your looking for, like sounds of success I thought your looking for a cat.

Love my dogs, but have never had one that doesn't shed. We have to vacuum and sweep pretty much daily and just come to expect. I was always told Husky's don't bark, thought it would be cool to have a dog that didn't bark. The first few days we had him, he would sound more like a howl ... then he quickly found his voice and barks more than any other dog I've ever owned... still love him to death.

Dogs are the most loyal companions, they love you no matter what. I also think their a lifelong commitment, their life. I just think you have to be really sure that is what you want before you get one, because so many get adopted as puppies then dumped as they get older. That makes me so sad. I've had both puppies and adopted older dogs. Sometimes the best thing about an older dog is they don't chew up everything in site destroying your house and they are already potty trained. If you get a puppy, I would just recommend looking into the breed before you get one and make sure they are easily trained. I learned Husky's are not, but for me I love him so he is just on a leash every time we step out the front door, because I know he can't be trained like my others but I will never let him go. If you find one that is easy to train and has the qualities you want, he will likely be the best pet you have ever had! Good luck in your search, CanDB!
              sigpic
              Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
              Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
              Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
              Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

Comment

Originally posted by dipablo View Post
                I agree, Beagle was my first thought as well. If you want a non shedder and don't need a "pure bred" a poodle mix is your ticket. Labradoodle for example.

https://www.homesalive.ca/blog/dogs-...ic-dog-breeds/
                Beagles can be barkers

My simple advice is go lab

I believe some labradoodles don't shed.

But lab is too big for your criteria so ...... maybe you can find that ultimate mutt
                Last edited by dizzolve; 09-23-2017, 08:00 AM.
                The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
                  The smallest dog I've ever owned is our siberian husky ... may be a mix, but isn't more than 45 lbs. I've thought several times what would be a good small dog, and think of the Russel Terriers ... I don't think they get very big. Have to admit though when I read your initial post of what your looking for, like sounds of success I thought your looking for a cat.

Love my dogs, but have never had one that doesn't shed. We have to vacuum and sweep pretty much daily and just come to expect. I was always told Husky's don't bark, thought it would be cool to have a dog that didn't bark. The first few days we had him, he would sound more like a howl ... then he quickly found his voice and barks more than any other dog I've ever owned... still love him to death.

Dogs are the most loyal companions, they love you no matter what. I also think their a lifelong commitment, their life. I just think you have to be really sure that is what you want before you get one, because so many get adopted as puppies then dumped as they get older. That makes me so sad. I've had both puppies and adopted older dogs. Sometimes the best thing about an older dog is they don't chew up everything in site destroying your house and they are already potty trained. If you get a puppy, I would just recommend looking into the breed before you get one and make sure they are easily trained. I learned Husky's are not, but for me I love him so he is just on a leash every time we step out the front door, because I know he can't be trained like my others but I will never let him go. If you find one that is easy to train and has the qualities you want, he will likely be the best pet you have ever had! Good luck in your search, CanDB!
                  Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                  Beagles can be barkers

My simple advice is go lab

I believe some labradoodles don't shed.

But lab is too big for your criteria so ...... maybe you can find that ultimate mutt
                  Thx!!

It's tough when you are not into really small dogs, but are limited based on potential residence. So that's the 25 pound max consideration.

Even so, another companion in the house who loves to play, is loyal, friendly, and loves to be properly taken care of is definitely in the cards.

Comment

Just to complete the "tail".....in early October we got ourselves a 2 month old Cockapoo. She is a really good little dog....very smart and loves people! And if we move, she will be fine for any condo, given she will not likely be over 20 pounds. But small dogs mature quickly, and we had to have her spayed recently. Remarkable to me, we followed the vet's orders to a tee, but I truly believe she was ready to go within a week! Amazing healing properties!

So yes, I love bigger dogs too, but this dog is wonderful (although she has quite a motor - shoulda called her "(Derek) Wolfe" but that just makes no sense does it??? But as for intelligence and people friendly, not sure you can do better!!:thumb:
                    Last edited by CanDB; 02-19-2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                      Just to complete the "tail".....in early October we got ourselves a 2 month old Cockapoo. She is a really good little dog....very smart and loves people! And if we move, she will be fine for any condo, given she will not likely be over 20 pounds. But small dogs mature quickly, and we had to have her spayed recently. Remarkable to me, we followed the vet's orders to a tee, but I truly believe she was ready to go within a week! Amazing healing properties!

So yes, I love bigger dogs too, but this dog is wonderful (although she has quite a motor - shoulda called her "(Derek) Wolfe" but that just makes no sense does it??? But as for intelligence and people friendly, not sure you can do better!!:thumb:
                      Good news, Can, I'm glad she's working out for you so far. That breed has a nice fur coat which is good for Canada in the cold seasons but you may have deal with shedded hair in the Summer. At least there won't be much thanks to her size! Does she bark a lot? And was this your wife's choice?

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
                        Good news, Can, I'm glad she's working out for you so far. That breed has a nice fur coat which is good for Canada in the cold seasons but you may have deal with shedded hair in the Summer. At least there won't be much thanks to her size! Does she bark a lot? And was this your wife's choice?
                        Thx for asking P! You are right, she is a very good canuck type dog, and loves the snow! It amazes me how quickly she could handle freezing temps.

So far, no shedding at all.....I'm told that she might not.

She does not bark much, other than at strange noises, like a loud car next door, or if she sees a bunny thru the window.

My wife knew we had to go smallish, so she was good with a number of poodle mixes. Then again, my wife would love pretty much any creature! (and you can play with that all you want!)

Comment

Thx for asking P! You are right, she is a very good canuck type dog, and loves the snow! It amazes me how quickly she could handle freezing temps.

So far, no shedding at all.....I'm told that she might not.

She does not bark much, other than at strange noises, like a loud car next door, or if she sees a bunny thru the window.

My wife knew we had to go smallish, so she was good with a number of poodle mixes. Then again, my wife would love pretty much any creature! (and you can play with that all you want!)
                          That's awesome, bud! Glad you found your new four legged pal! :thumb:

What did you guys name her?

Comment

Congrats, so happy for you! Dogs are the best!!!
                            sigpic
                            BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                              That's awesome, bud! Glad you found your new four legged pal! :thumb:

What did you guys name her?
                              Too hard to explain in a few words, but her name is Rooney.

Originally posted by dipablo View Post
                              Congrats, so happy for you! Dogs are the best!!!
                              Yes indeed....my first dog, and I am ancient!!

Comment

Too hard to explain in a few words, but her name is Rooney.

Yes indeed....my first dog, and I am ancient!!
                                Right on! Welcome to dog life, bro!

Comment

Working...
                                X