A Flu Shot Or.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Flu Shot Or.......

Hey wait....I got a flu shot today, but does that mean "shot of the flu"? Are doctors and pharmacists out to get more business by injecting bugs into us? And if I listen closely, will the doctor say something like, "see you in a couple of weeks" as I leave?

What about you folks.....do you get flu shots? Seems like older folks (like me) do more than youngins, but I may be wrong. Then the next question, do they work? One never knows for sure. And just because you get the flu the same year you got the shot, they tell you that they can only cover common flu bugs, and not new versions or whatever.

Thing I do know is this, if you have ever had a bad flu, you always remember it. I can still sense the affect of what was called the "100 day flu", which I got about 30 years ago. It did not last 100 days, but for about a month. I felt awful, and did not seem to be getting any better. I missed some work as a result. I felt like I was in a daze (not my regular daze), and it even affected my vision at times. But I do remember the good news about it.....the day before we had a big party planned for our parents anniversary, I suddenly got better. It was like the sun broke through after a very lengthy disappearance.....actually better. But I think of it like the first time I heard George Harrison and one of my all time favs "Here Comes The Sun". Just a good feeling waking up that day.

So if you have a moment, tell me about your flu experience (hopefully not a factor for you) and if you get shots. Meantime I might consider having one of my more reliable flu beaters, the "whisky shot"!:thumb:
    Last edited by CanDB; 12-08-2017, 11:43 AM.

Whisky shot indeed, bud! I was just reading that the virus in a flu shot evidently mutates as they are incubating the little bugger in eggs. So, apparently, we’re getting some slightly mutated version of a weakened influenza virus. Which should prove awesome at protecting us against slightly mutated flu strains.

I guess down under in Australia, officials claimed that this year’s flu shot was about 10% effective against the prevailing flu strain. Thirty bucks and a punch in the arm for a 90% chance of no immunity to big league yack-n-blow? Sign me up! :thumb:
    To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
      Whisky shot indeed, bud! I was just reading that the virus in a flu shot evidently mutates as they are incubating the little bugger in eggs. So, apparently, we’re getting some slightly mutated version of a weakened influenza virus. Which should prove awesome at protecting us against slightly mutated flu strains.

I guess down under in Australia, officials claimed that this year’s flu shot was about 10% effective against the prevailing flu strain. Thirty bucks and a punch in the arm for a 90% chance of no immunity to big league yack-n-blow? Sign me up! :thumb:
      Gman....I too have heard stories that suggest that flu shots are fairly ineffective. The good news here....free of charge. Hmmm, not sure a free needle is all that exciting??!!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        Gman....I too have heard stories that suggest that flu shots are fairly ineffective. The good news here....free of charge. Hmmm, not sure a free needle is all that exciting??!!
        They are free of charge here as well for the elderly, people who work in the care sector and anyone in poor health.

Since last year young school kids get the nasal vaccine.
        My four year old granddaughter had the vaccine in October and telephoned to say she'd had her "brain removed"!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
          Originally posted by Jaws View Post
          They are free of charge here as well for the elderly, people who work in the care sector and anyone in poor health.

My four year old granddaughter had the vaccine in October and telephoned to say she'd had her "brain removed"!
          It’s enough to make you go nutty! One flu over the cuckoo’s nest.
          To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post

I figured your country was into that.

That's cute about your granddaughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
              It’s enough to make you go nutty! One flu over the cuckoo’s nest.
              I almost flu the coop the last time I got the bug!

Comment

I got a flu shot before I had my colon surgery last month. First time for me. The next morning I could hardly lift my arm.

Each day that went by, it got worse. I did some searching on the web and couldn't believe the thousands and thousands of people who developed the same problem and wound up with long term shoulder issues. Lots of lawsuits as well.

Turns out that it REALLY matters where they stick that needle in. If they stick it in too high, they're sticking it in your AC joint and causing all sorts of problems.

I finally had to go see my orthopedic and they have seen the same problem as well. As a matter of fact, my hospital conducted their own research on this too.

Turns out that flu shot really damaged my shoulder and now I'm looking at surgery soon.
                Last edited by broncoslover115; 01-03-2018, 06:06 PM.
                Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                  I got a flu shot before I had my colon surgery last month. First time for me. The next morning I could hardly lift my arm.

Each day that went by, it got worse. I did some searching on the web and couldn't believe the thousands and thousands of people who developed the same problem and wound up with long term shoulder issues. Lots of lawsuits as well.

Turns out that it REALLY matters where they stick that needle in. If they stick it in too high, they're sticking it in your AC joint and causing all sorts of problems.

I finally had to go see my orthopedic and they have seen the same problem as well. As a matter of fact, my hospital conducted their own research on this too.

Turns out that flu shot really damaged my shoulder and now I'm looking at surgery soon.
                  Well, it yet again proves my favorite saying, 'no good deed goes unpunished!'
                  sigpic

Comment

I used to, but I don't anymore. The shots made me sicker than the flu did
                    "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Sorry to hear that J. I have never heard of this problem, but it matters not (if I haven't) if you and others are suffering as a result. I will say that this year I felt the needle more than usual within hours, but fortunately it went away.

Further to....lots of views on the flu shot. Studies being quoted of late are saying it is only 10% effective.

But I do know that there are some serious flu outbreaks as we speak.

One may never know if they have helped, but if that shot protects you from getting a bad flu, it was worth it. However this shoulder problem is quite unfortunate and will make me think harder the next time.

Comment

I havent been much into shots since getting the small pox and anthrax shots while i was in the service.

I had an awesome immune system until i had kids
                        Glen Haven Fire

Comment

I truly believe these flu shots are being introduced by the umbrella corporation. A remarket of the T-virus. Everyone that gets one...boom. Zombie apocalypse on us...

Just my humble opinion.
                          sigpic

Comment

A couple of years ago, I had a flu shot that was higher than normal. It hurt getting it and it hurt a lot in the days following. Fortunately, it did go away.

I hope you're feeling better.
                            Administrator

#Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

#LupusAwarenessMonth

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                              A couple of years ago, I had a flu shot that was higher than normal. It hurt getting it and it hurt a lot in the days following. Fortunately, it did go away.

I hope you're feeling better.
                              Thanks J. I'm on the mend from my surgery and got a cortisone shot as a temporary measure for the shoulder. Can't take anymore hospitals and doctors for awhile. lol
                              Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Working...
                              X