A Flu Shot Or.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    Thanks J. I'm on the mend from my surgery and got a cortisone shot as a temporary measure for the shoulder. Can't take anymore hospitals and doctors for awhile. lol

How did that shot help? I am looking at getting one in one shoulder too..
    sigpic

Comment

I've never got the shot, and I don't think I ever will. I've had the flu maybe 3 times my whole life, and it is terrible. I mean it's down right horrible, but it's not ever got me all fired up to go get a flu shot. Like someone else said, I had a great immune system until I had kids. They aren't big on washing those hands lol. I wash my hands so much they are like cactus's.

Comment

Ive never had the flu, nor have I ever had the flu shot. Never saw the point if im not getting the flu.
        sigpic
        BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Comment

To summarize, I would not recommend that anyone gets a flu shot, but I have gotten into a practice of getting one, as does my wife, over the last 7-10 years. Other than BL's issue, I have not heard of real issues here, in a place where flu shots are widely accepted, and yes, free of charge. And in getting one, most of us who show up for them do not expect total protection. So, overall we weigh the odds to be favourable, by getting one. Touch wood, I have not had many bouts with the flu in that time frame.....so I hope to keep with the program.

And depending where you live, there are some really bad outbreaks. And there are demographics as to who is more likely in need of protection (ie. seniors, children, and those with specific conditions).

Also free of charge for folks 65 years of age and up (where I reside) is the pneumococcal (Pneu-P-23) vaccine. The Pneu-P-23 vaccine helps protect against pneumococcal disease, including a serious type of pneumonia, blood infections and meningitis.

The literature is pretty good on these shots, so it is up to folks to make their own decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            To summarize, I would not recommend that anyone gets a flu shot, but I have gotten into a practice of getting one, as does my wife, over the last 7-10 years. Other than BL's issue, I have not heard of real issues here, in a place where flu shots are widely accepted, and yes, free of charge. And in getting one, most of us who show up for them do not expect total protection. So, overall we weigh the odds to be favourable, by getting one. Touch wood, I have not had many bouts with the flu in that time frame.....so I hope to keep with the program.

And depending where you live, there are some really bad outbreaks. And there are demographics as to who is more likely in need of protection (ie. seniors, children, and those with specific conditions).

Also free of charge for folks 65 years of age and up (where I reside) is the pneumococcal (Pneu-P-23) vaccine. The Pneu-P-23 vaccine helps protect against pneumococcal disease, including a serious type of pneumonia, blood infections and meningitis.

The literature is pretty good on these shots, so it is up to folks to make their own decisions.
            FTR, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with getting a flu shot. I just haven't because they kind of guess every year about strain of flu will be going around. I don't like the the idea of getting the shot, and possibly still getting the flu lol. I've know people so against it, and I know people who swear by it. So..... whatever works for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
              FTR, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with getting a flu shot. I just haven't because they kind of guess every year about strain of flu will be going around. I don't like the the idea of getting the shot, and possibly still getting the flu lol. I've know people so against it, and I know people who swear by it. So..... whatever works for everyone.
              Not to worry friend, this comment was not aimed at any one, just the general population....that it is each individual's / parent's / care giver's call. You take the facts as you know them to be and decide.

We are lucky up here, because there is no issue of cost.

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                How did that shot help? I am looking at getting one in one shoulder too..
                Well didn't get the flu but have to have shoulder surgery. lol

Never had the flu shot before in all my years and only had the flu once. So my recommendation is to not get the shot. Not worth it.
                Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

I never get a flu shot. Maybe get the flu every few years. A week down then back to normal.

I take Zinc and Vitamin D over the Winter between setting the clocks and seldomly catch anything.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                    I never get a flu shot. Maybe get the flu every few years. A week down then back to normal.

I take Zinc and Vitamin D over the Winter between setting the clocks and seldomly catch anything.
                    Makes good sense.

I think what I should have stressed that some demographics are more susceptible to more prevalent or serious impacts from the flu. I can fully understand why most folks who are not old (like me), would steer clear.

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                      Well didn't get the flu but have to have shoulder surgery. lol

Never had the flu shot before in all my years and only had the flu once. So my recommendation is to not get the shot. Not worth it.
                      I meant the cortisone... sorry. Changed topics quickly.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post

I’ll try that next year. I got suckered in for the shot at an urgent care clinic for an unrelated visit. The bill for it a few weeks later was $100 ($30 for the germy egg juice and $70 to feed it to my deltoid). Naturally, my insurance is making me pay for it. :thumb:

So far no flu…but that missing Franklin sure made my wallet sick.
                        To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                          I meant the cortisone... sorry. Changed topics quickly.
                          It only helped for a week. Just came in from trying to clean the foot of snow off my car and dig myself out and couldn't because my shoulder hurt so much. Thank God for the kids in the complex who'll do it for $20 bucks.
                          Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Not to belabor the point....but my wife just got her flu shot and they told her that, even though the shot does not cover all strains, it actually reduces the severity of them.

Other than BL's awful experience (which is certainly concerning), and because I am in the senior squad, I will continue getting these shots.....which again, are free here. Most doctors/pharmacists are consistent with the message...that they have a lot of upside.

Comment

Working...
                            X