X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by armedequation View Post
    Ok im socially awkward. Part of why i live where i do. That being said i will greet people if it feels natural. I also prefer to use peoples names or sir or ma'am. When someone has a name tag i will say have a good day so and so. If im not "feeling social" i will still acknowledge someones presence by eye contact and a head nod.
    I like your style. I am more of an outgoing person most of the time (although I like solitude as well), but I get a lift when greeting others. It can change my day, especially if someone else spares a few moments to chat.

Not to reinforce this thread, but much of it has to do with family and friends, and sharing some form of greeting with them, at every new opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• HUMCALC
    replied
    I'm a pessimist when it comes to people. What good is a greeting when those same people refuse to acknowledge you later? Then again I've had numerous people stab me in the back, so I'm very bitter
    Last edited by HUMCALC; 12-14-2017, 10:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• armedequation
    replied
    Ok im socially awkward. Part of why i live where i do. That being said i will greet people if it feels natural. I also prefer to use peoples names or sir or ma'am. When someone has a name tag i will say have a good day so and so. If im not "feeling social" i will still acknowledge someones presence by eye contact and a head nod.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    That’s actually one of many reasons why I can’t wait to leave where I live. Living amongst genuinely nice people that appreciate greetings like that, and kindness from strangers, and are courteous and considerate. What a wonderful change that will be.
    Based on the little I know, where you are aiming to be one day is a place full of nice people!!:thumb:

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Originally posted by Rancid View Post
    Its best not to say anything anymore because whatever you say or do someone is offended, triggered or makes accusations of being ______-phobic.
    Just be kind to older folk…they’re usually cool with niceness. It’s the millennial generation that gets all hashtaggy with rage.

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    Well guys, at least we can be happy if we get to receive greetings from family and friends on a regular basis. I'll start with that.

I may be a bit of a homer, but I find it easy to start up a conversation with folks in my city. Like at the gym. Mind you, folks at the U gym are pretty decent overall. And sure, many strangers might be a little uneasy getting involved with someone they never met before.
    That’s actually one of many reasons why I can’t wait to leave where I live. Living amongst genuinely nice people that appreciate greetings like that, and kindness from strangers, and are courteous and considerate. What a wonderful change that will be.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Perhaps I am lucky where I live.

Leave a comment:

• Rancid
    replied
    Its best not to say anything anymore because whatever you say or do someone is offended, triggered or makes accusations of being ______-phobic.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    It’s nice extending a greeting to a stranger and they warmly greet you back. Sadly (as LM stated above), it seems a dying ritual outside of rural communities. Here in the mega-metropolis, there’s far too many inconsiderate, disinterested, and rushed people, to be bothered reciprocating a simple “hello.” It’s sad. Even worse, I’ve found myself becoming that…assuming that everyone else is an unfriendly ghost of a person, why even acknowledge them? Why hold the door open for someone who doesn’t care and won’t thank you (and would probably let the door slam in your face if given the opportunity – and many do)? It’s really sad, and just makes the bad even worse.

But, it is really nice being in a rural community, and there’s a genuine feeling of concern over the wellbeing of a complete stranger. If only everyone shared that concern, what a neat place the world would be. :thumb:
    Well guys, at least we can be happy if we get to receive greetings from family and friends on a regular basis. I'll start with that.

I may be a bit of a homer, but I find it easy to start up a conversation with folks in my city. Like at the gym. Mind you, folks at the U gym are pretty decent overall. And sure, many strangers might be a little uneasy getting involved with someone they never met before.

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    It’s nice extending a greeting to a stranger and they warmly greet you back. Sadly (as LM stated above), it seems a dying ritual outside of rural communities. Here in the mega-metropolis, there’s far too many inconsiderate, disinterested, and rushed people, to be bothered reciprocating a simple “hello.” It’s sad. Even worse, I’ve found myself becoming that…assuming that everyone else is an unfriendly ghost of a person, why even acknowledge them? Why hold the door open for someone who doesn’t care and won’t thank you (and would probably let the door slam in your face if given the opportunity – and many do)? It’s really sad, and just makes the bad even worse.

But, it is really nice being in a rural community, and there’s a genuine feeling of concern over the wellbeing of a complete stranger. If only everyone shared that concern, what a neat place the world would be. :thumb:

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
    Two things on this subject:

Our culture is getting lazier and lazier about them. Have you noticed that IF you even get a good morning it's just " 'morning", leaving the "good" part off! The whole point originally was to wish someone a good morning! So it's like saying " 'Birthday" leaving out "Happy" or " 'Christmas" leaving off "Merry"! SMH

My parents live in a small mountain town in Colorado (where I grew up) and I visit there frequently. People are warmer and more willing to say hello and make some sort of greeting on sidewalks or when you enter a store.
    Not so much where I live though and an ethnic divide makes a negative difference especially if there's some tension already there. People are are less apt to be friendly and greet a member of another race, sadly.
    Well P(al)......if it is happening, lets do whatever we can to preserve it, as you describe in that wonderful, small mountain town. All my life I have been trying to follow a guide: that I may not be able to crack through "groups", but I have a good shot at making a friend with just about anyone. One on one, good things can happen. So I guess we go about it, one by one.

No rush....just like a nice greeting, easy and timeless.

Leave a comment:

• L.M.
    replied
    Two things on this subject:

Our culture is getting lazier and lazier about them. Have you noticed that IF you even get a good morning it's just " 'morning", leaving the "good" part off! The whole point originally was to wish someone a good morning! So it's like saying " 'Birthday" leaving out "Happy" or " 'Christmas" leaving off "Merry"! SMH

My parents live in a small mountain town in Colorado (where I grew up) and I visit there frequently. People are warmer and more willing to say hello and make some sort of greeting on sidewalks or when you enter a store.
    Not so much where I live though and an ethnic divide makes a negative difference especially if there's some tension already there. People are are less apt to be friendly and greet a member of another race, sadly.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    started a topic The Greeting

The Greeting

The Greeting....that kind, friendly acknowledgement that makes us humans all that more human. The connection. The attention. The openness to telling another person that you recognize them and that, at least from a distance, you give a darn.

The Greeting is sometimes overrated, when used over and over with no real spirit. If it becomes laborious to some degree, it is not well served. However, we live in a society that does not handle that form of rejection well. Passing by someone I know for the first time each day without acknowledgement of some sort seems not right. I believe it is a reaction I have that is solidly incorporated into my hardware.

But some folks walk on by, pending their situation. Maybe they are in a hurry or a little down...I don't know. As long as it does not happen frequently, I guess all is well.

I admit, when I was full bore in my career days, and prior to, in school....I enjoyed saying "hi" to folks that mattered to me. I fondly remember the struggle of getting up for work, and rushing through traffic (maybe on a cold/snowy winter's day) only to be completely reversed in mood, once I greeted many good folks along the way to the office. It is amazing how that changed my day....and it was still very early in the morning!

I do admit, some of us overuse The Greeting. I used to greet my friends in school, class after class. As long as it's mutual, not a bad thing to do. But I guess in hindsight we could have kept on going a few times without that interaction. Maybe not.

The Greeting may not be important to some, but it works for me. As I said, it makes us so human. We care. We like. We love. Hey, I'll gladly greet my wife, family, friends each and every day for the rest of my life, if I am near. It's a booster.

Further, I think it so cool when we greet perfect strangers....maybe locally, or in a different city or country. Sometimes we do it without thinking, if we realize that person or that group is from our part of the world.

Call me a softy, or one with maybe too warm of a heart at times (hey, I often have cold hands!!), but I am a fan of The Greeting, be it a smile, a wave, a nod, a handshake, a hug, whatever. I like being a human. It suits me fine!
Working...
X