X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    Not a shot at all. Jack Handy was one of my absolute favorites (it’s all relative to the discussion)! There was always a deeper meaning to the humor that was funny on so many levels; the perception of our daily lives through his abstract mind was gold. Perfectly random, you never knew what was coming…you just knew it would be good. :thumb:

It’s good to be weird…maybe just not the weirdest. Besides, “normal” is boring. Normal doesn’t win super bowls, or world wars, or put cars into orbit around Mars.
    Just to be sure, I know yours was not a shot....I was describing it the way the other person commented about it. At least I think they were making fun a bit. But hey, anywhere close to Handy, is pretty good in my warped books!!

But no doubt, Jack Handy had a following. Silly but relevant.....works for me!

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    This is funny (relatively speaking)....and probably not meant to be a real compliment at the time.... but a few years back someone described a thread (or more) of mine reminded him of Jack Handy.. Methinks it was a bit of a shot, albeit a funny one. But I think I see your take much better....makes it sound "smart".

Oh...and thank goodness I can remember one weird relative. Then again, who's to say you can't have more than one!!
    Not a shot at all. Jack Handy was one of my absolute favorites (it’s all relative to the discussion)! There was always a deeper meaning to the humor that was funny on so many levels; the perception of our daily lives through his abstract mind was gold. Perfectly random, you never knew what was coming…you just knew it would be good. :thumb:

It’s good to be weird…maybe just not the weirdest. Besides, “normal” is boring. Normal doesn’t win super bowls, or world wars, or put cars into orbit around Mars.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Thanks, D. I know I screw around a lot, and fling sarcasm and whatever else, but I’ve never considered myself a huge contributor here. Not like you guys. Folks like you bring so much content to this board…and diverse content at that.

This is a cool community with a lot of sharp minds. The various discussions here both on and off the topic of football are worth the read. After getting some up to the minute Broncos news in GD, it’s cool to wander over here and see threads like this. A random point of view, that sometimes challenges a prior understanding of the reader. I just think it adds an unique dimension, which is a good thing.

Sometimes, this part of the board almost reminds me of Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy. A colorful random thought that sometimes makes you rethink how you think.

“If you’re in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it’ll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.” – Jack Handy

It’s always enlightening and thought provoking. And now, back on topic.

This is funny (relatively speaking)....and probably not meant to be a real compliment at the time.... but a few years back someone described a thread (or more) of mine reminded him of Jack Handy.. Methinks it was a bit of a shot, albeit a funny one. But I think I see your take much better....makes it sound "smart".

Oh...and thank goodness I can remember one weird relative. Then again, who's to say you can't have more than one!!

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Too kind....probably helps that I keep sending you those checks in the mail!

Folks like you give me the extra lift to stay here.

(in relative terms....you bring a lot to the table!)
    Thanks, D. I know I screw around a lot, and fling sarcasm and whatever else, but I’ve never considered myself a huge contributor here. Not like you guys. Folks like you bring so much content to this board…and diverse content at that.

This is a cool community with a lot of sharp minds. The various discussions here both on and off the topic of football are worth the read. After getting some up to the minute Broncos news in GD, it’s cool to wander over here and see threads like this. A random point of view, that sometimes challenges a prior understanding of the reader. I just think it adds an unique dimension, which is a good thing.

Sometimes, this part of the board almost reminds me of Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy. A colorful random thought that sometimes makes you rethink how you think.

“If you’re in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it’ll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.” – Jack Handy

It’s always enlightening and thought provoking. And now, back on topic.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    It’s threads like this, that in my opinion add such a neat dimension to this message board.

Can’s musings – abstract pearls of wisdom, for a brighter tomorrow. Certainly relative.
    Too kind....probably helps that I keep sending you those checks in the mail!

Folks like you give me the extra lift to stay here.

(in relative terms....you bring a lot to the table!)

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Thx pal! And I do remember that wisely thought out and well researched thread you posted. I often acquire good info here, but some folks put in even more time and effort to move the chains so to speak.....that was one of those examples. Hopefully when we do our homework in terms of unique/researched threads, others are influenced.
    It’s threads like this, that in my opinion add such a neat dimension to this message board.

Can’s musings – abstract pearls of wisdom, for a brighter tomorrow. Certainly relative.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Great thread idea, bud…I couldn’t agree more!

Almost everything is “relative” in comparison to anything else, which is exactly why so few questions/answers are purely black and white. There are almost always endless layers to peer under or over to get a better (more objective) understanding of any given circumstance as it pertains to our conscious awareness of it.

When I was sifting through stat analysis a few months back, I too grappled with the problem of trying to compare teams from 40 years ago to today. A direct comparison is impossible due to far too many variable changes. But, there remains one key comparison that will forever be directly relatable, and you nailed it. By how much did team X (or player X) dominate their peers in the era in which they played. That is a tangible value to compare against…and perhaps the only thing when reaching across multiple eras.

It’s all relative. :thumb:

Thx pal! And I do remember that wisely thought out and well researched thread you posted. I often acquire good info here, but some folks put in even more time and effort to move the chains so to speak.....that was one of those examples. Hopefully when we do our homework in terms of unique/researched threads, others are influenced.

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Great thread idea, bud…I couldn’t agree more!

Almost everything is “relative” in comparison to anything else, which is exactly why so few questions/answers are purely black and white. There are almost always endless layers to peer under or over to get a better (more objective) understanding of any given circumstance as it pertains to our conscious awareness of it.

When I was sifting through stat analysis a few months back, I too grappled with the problem of trying to compare teams from 40 years ago to today. A direct comparison is impossible due to far too many variable changes. But, there remains one key comparison that will forever be directly relatable, and you nailed it. By how much did team X (or player X) dominate their peers in the era in which they played. That is a tangible value to compare against…and perhaps the only thing when reaching across multiple eras.

It’s all relative. :thumb:

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    started a topic It's All Relative

It's All Relative

It is interesting to me how we sometimes poke fun at, or criticize generations before......as if we would have done things different had we been there at the time. Sure, we can point out some atrocities and wrong doing by the masses, but in general, most typical societal groups behave in the way they understand to be correct, for the time. There are norms and other guidelines in play, and we tend to follow accordingly. There will always be dissenters, or those who see things in a different way, but they are not necessarily accurate. Some are just tree shakers.

I see this crossover into sports and many other walks of life. Like trying to compare stats or accomplishments over time. For me it often makes little sense given there are so many conflicting variables in play. For me, the best measure of comparison is that of comparing players/teams/organizations during a shorter period of time. If for example one player was vastly better than all the others in his era, I give him/her extra points when it comes to comparing with other eras. For example, when Babe Ruth was breaking home run records, there was no one even close to him.

This "relative" theory goes deep....right into our psyche. We often mock wealthy folks, like athletes/entertainers/business folks, for wanting more when they already have a ton of money and success. But it's not for us to judge what is "enough" given those folks are often being compared to others in their line of work. So if I am a good player making $10M per year, and some other guys on my team are making more, even though they are not better (based on performance), it is clear that I might want to compare my salary with them and not others in the general population. Most of us would understand that, if we were there. It is unlikely that everyone of us would be satisfied enough to say, "it's ok if I make less than players that are not as good, because I make a great salary already."

"It's all relative" is one saying I tend to agree with. It simply defines that we can not compare without knowing all the facts that are pertinent to the discussion. It brings into the picture a more relevant standard. It basically says that we should not over simplify by picking some quick and easy info/data that justifies something we may think to be true.

All in all....it makes us remember the value of "you had to be there" to understand.

That is why I get a chuckle whenever folks make fun of the technology or the clothing or the thinking of people from past generations. And if you live by that type of judgement, than expect people to be mocking us in about 10 or 15 years.....maybe even less!

Love the saying......almost always works for me.
Working...
X