X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Rancid View Post
    I read your article Can and as I was reading it I could not help thinking that the problem might be that all mirrors come used.

Which may be what you were trying to say in a much different way.
    I can see a small twist then...that some of the mirrors are flawed, therefore one must assess feedback with caution, given that the reflection comes from a questionable source. Makes it even harder to assimilate data about oneself. Then again, statistics will probably relate that if you have enough mirrors in your life, you should be able to piece together a fairly accurate story.

Leave a comment:

• Rancid
    replied
    I read your article Can and as I was reading it I could not help thinking that the problem might be that all mirrors come used.

Which may be what you were trying to say in a much different way.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    at least I do.....

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    started a topic We Explore Our Lives With Mirrors

We Explore Our Lives With Mirrors

Unless you are really confident, or maybe just a little stubborn, (perhaps a few other reasons that come to mind), I believe we tend to learn a great deal about ourselves by what others reflect back to us...especially in our more youthful years. Then again, I still check for the feedback I get, and at times am still a little misguided as to what I perceived to be accurate.

At times I see us as floating islands, conceived with little awareness of the world. Eventually we are firmly guided by our genetics and of course the environment in which we live....and in that environment we have all these mirrors reflecting our behaviour, and how it is perceived by those we contact along the way.

As children, we closely watch and listen to the actions of our parents/elders/other role models. But so is it that we observe how others react "to us" as we grow older. Most of us want to be accepted....not all. But I do believe we tend to seek approval to a fairly high degree, at some time in our lives. So all in all it is very important that we monitor and gauge the reaction we get...from all those mirrors, be they face to face, or via a multitude of sources.

Sometimes we get exactly what we were hoping for...but sometimes it is confusion, sometimes disapproval. The question becomes, "do I behave in a way that suits others, or do I behave in a way that suits me?" Of course there is a wide spectrum in between.

And no doubt, often the patterns are not that easy to understand. In fact, the "buttons" that activate specific behaviour/feelings and so on, may take your entire life to appreciate.

I guess one could say it's a bit like a game, where we zoom around looking for clues....about ourselves. If we are adept at the game, we discover who we are quicker. And in this game, there is a process by which we learn and improve, by using the feedback in a positive way. If for example we learn that we have little in the way of sense of humour, we work a bit at being funnier....and in time we may find that we have succeeded. Same goes for any aspect of our lives. We assess feedback, work to improve or change as required, and assess all over again until we get to where we want to be.....or close to it.

It can be a fascinating game. I believe that if one wants to get good at it, we should at least be prepared to look for the feedback that is often right in front of us.

It's up to us if we want to change...what we can.
    Last edited by CanDB; 01-11-2018, 11:40 AM.
Working...
X