Dealing with a boss who micro manages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with a boss who micro manages

I’m sure most of us have had to deal with this, anyone have some tips on how to deal with the frustration that results from someone who has to be in every single thing?

I have one right now.... it’s a pain...

My advise...avoid him or her if you can,, make every decision you can without them there... prove you can so they have no arguement you can’t.

And, I find they burn themselves out eventually...so it might be a waiting game.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
      I’m sure most of us have had to deal with this, anyone have some tips on how to deal with the frustration that results from someone who has to be in every single thing?
      Hey beast! First and foremost, sorry you are in this situation. It is amazing how many micro managers there are in this world (you'll find them everywhere!), and the fact they have little clue of how annoying they are. I think we should all be able to go micro if need be, like when an employee is making you concerned. But all in all, if people put more trust in folks, they could be so much more productive in terms of bigger picture approach to their jobs, not to mention more respect from those they manage. Having said that, I have seen too many micro managers rise upwards in organizations. Perhaps it's because they are very hard working and have a nose for problem solving. But they typically are not loved from below.

I want to give some "confident" advice, but my worst boss relationship was with a micro manager. That boss was disliked throughout, but rose to near the very top.

But lets think of this in a slightly different way. No matter who the boss, I recommend folks find out what that boss likes, and try to give it to them. Conversely, do not cause unnecessary friction with any boss, because they tend to win.

For a micro manager, you might want to be more detailed in your work for a while, at least until you determine where the line is. One of my peers at the time would kiss up, and be totally prepared whenever he visited this VP. He did extra homework, which is something that many of us gloss over due to the entirety of the job. But I think in time it paid off, because this boss started to leave him alone after a while.

Depending on how good of an employee your boss is, they may or may not be around forever. If they are respected above, they will probably rise. However, if they do not seem to understand the big picture as they should, folks like you could catch management's eye, by being good at your job, but able to see the bigger picture given your level in the organization. Micro managers can get caught up in the detail, so much so they miss the forest for the trees.

Good luck. Know what you are up for. Put in a little more detailed analysis. But keep looking forward, with promotion in mind. Be the bigger performer, in terms of job knowledge, and ability to design solid strategy.

Comment

I’m in the military so it’s kind of hard to avoid her. No one has ever had a problem with my work during my time here so I’ve always been tasked with stuff and left alone until the end of the day. Even the people we have above her have no problem with what I do and are always telling me how great I am.

This woman is making me dread coming to work though. First problem I have is, she has absolutely no clue how to do anything pertaining to our actual work so having to explain why I’m right every half hour just kills me. On top of that since she doesn’t know anything she has no actual job yet she acts like she has so much work to do. Next problem is that every single thing is an emergency and has to be done immediately and a lot of those “emergency” things are usually just hook ups for other people so she can look good in the command. Another thing is, she dumps any and everything that needs to be done on me. Right now there are 6 maybe 7 other people at my rank that should be capable of handling it but it still comes to me. Then there’s a whole list of double standards that infuriate me.

Worst thing is, technically I’m not even under them anymore, I got moved to a different group in the command for the upcoming deployment but she spent so much time crying about how much they need me that I have to help them out all day. This past year has been by far the worst work experience I’ve ever had.

Idk I’m just venting at this point lol

Comment

I’m in the military so it’s kind of hard to avoid her. No one has ever had a problem with my work during my time here so I’ve always been tasked with stuff and left alone until the end of the day. Even the people we have above her have no problem with what I do and are always telling me how great I am.

This woman is making me dread coming to work though. First problem I have is, she has absolutely no clue how to do anything pertaining to our actual work so having to explain why I’m right every half hour just kills me. On top of that since she doesn’t know anything she has no actual job yet she acts like she has so much work to do. Next problem is that every single thing is an emergency and has to be done immediately and a lot of those “emergency” things are usually just hook ups for other people so she can look good in the command. Another thing is, she dumps any and everything that needs to be done on me. Right now there are 6 maybe 7 other people at my rank that should be capable of handling it but it still comes to me. Then there’s a whole list of double standards that infuriate me.

Worst thing is, technically I’m not even under them anymore, I got moved to a different group in the command for the upcoming deployment but she spent so much time crying about how much they need me that I have to help them out all day. This past year has been by far the worst work experience I’ve ever had.

Listen bud......I think there's a silver lining. She needs you! And she must trust you, because she is putting a lot of her eggs in your basket. If you screw up, she screws up.

As for this "emergency" stuff, it sure sounds like someone who is insecure and poor at decision-making. Unless of course everything she does is top priority, which I highly doubt.

Stick with it. Play along. Watch her pattern. You will soon be a master of her process, and will be able to be ahead of her in many ways. And if you ever get a chance to go to a meeting with her, show the others that you are more on top of things than she is. But you have to remain cool, and give off the impression to others that you are above her little micro games.

Now, if after about 6 months go by and nothing changes, you might have to find a better fit. The time is up to you, could be sooner. But look to see if there's a crack in her armour as in, she might be willing to talk in confidence with you. See if you get a chance to explain how you are feeling at times, that you like what you do and appreciate her position....but that you do not feel as trusted as you'd like. Of course you must not go there too soon, or if you sense she is not open to this type of discussion. If so, apply for a good job elsewhere.

Comment

Being military does make it harder, I think. The "rules" are not the same. I remember my dad coming home and grumbling and each day, going into work having to keep his mouth shut (he was AF).

Is she deploying with you? If it's abuse, go up the COC?

Hope things get better for you.

And it's good to vent here.
            Administrator

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
              Being military does make it harder, I think. The "rules" are not the same. I remember my dad coming home and grumbling and each day, going into work having to keep his mouth shut (he was AF).

Is she deploying with you? If it's abuse, go up the COC?

Hope things get better for you.

And it's good to vent here.
              I’ll be deploying to a different area so that’s good, but after deployment I’ll be right back under her, hopefully the upper COC decides to put someone else in her spot

Comment

I think she has a crush on you,
                Beastly.
                :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
                  Beastly.

What he said...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
                    Beastly.
                    Oh good lord I hope not. She literally looks older than my grandma who is in her 80s

And I think she swings for the other team.

Edit: and now that I think about I have developed a close friendship with a female that she took a liking to when she just checked in. Both of us seem to be singled out more than others. Hmmm
                    Last edited by beastlyskronk; 01-26-2018, 08:50 PM.

Comment

There are books on this. I'm not sure which one to recommend though...
                      Last edited by Hph5; 01-28-2018, 03:00 AM.

Comment

:brick: ugh ... that's so ruff... i don't do well with micromanagers, the last one i had i burned through sick time fairly quick under them, because I would get half way to work and say NOPE... turn around and call in. It killed me, because I like the company I work for and didn't want to move onto another place, but was considering. For that one though, it wasn't just me being micro managed it was about 20 of us that had a problem. I think it helps when you can go to upper management as a group, where everyone has 1 complaint or 10. They seem to take that seriously. In our case it worked out .... she made every effort to change and it quit being a miserable work environment.

I feel for you though... if there micromanaging is mainly focused on you, like it sounds... then vent all you can. If your not currently under her, try not to let her guilt you into anything. Sometimes if they're just coming to you, because they know you'll do it right and others may not, try screwing it up... that works for some people... if that's the reason they'll stop asking.

I'm sorry though for you, continue to know that you'll be deployed and out from under her for at least a little while ... and don't worry about being back under her and til you are actually back under her.
                        sigpic
                        Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
                        Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                        Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                        Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

Comment

The key to dealing with a boss you don't like is to do things that weird them out so they leave you alone. If you creep them out, then they avoid you.

For example, I had an employer that was such a micro-manager he even went so far as to stalk people on FB. So, I posted a pic of myself with the nipples cut out of my shirt. He left me alone afterwards.

You can scratch certain areas excessively or my favorite is to really man-handle a doughnut when you break it in half and then offer them the other half.

Works like a boss! :thumb:
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                            The key to dealing with a boss you don't like is to do things that weird them out so they leave you alone. If you creep them out, then they avoid you.

For example, I had an employer that was such a micro-manager he even went so far as to stalk people on FB. So, I posted a pic of myself with the nipples cut out of my shirt. He left me alone afterwards.

You can scratch certain areas excessively or my favorite is to really man-handle a doughnut when you break it in half and then offer them the other half.

Works like a boss! :thumb:
                            You know, I’ve been looking for a reason to start putting spaghetti and meatballs in a wallet

Comment

Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
                              :brick: ugh ... that's so ruff... i don't do well with micromanagers, the last one i had i burned through sick time fairly quick under them, because I would get half way to work and say NOPE... turn around and call in. It killed me, because I like the company I work for and didn't want to move onto another place, but was considering. For that one though, it wasn't just me being micro managed it was about 20 of us that had a problem. I think it helps when you can go to upper management as a group, where everyone has 1 complaint or 10. They seem to take that seriously. In our case it worked out .... she made every effort to change and it quit being a miserable work environment.

I feel for you though... if there micromanaging is mainly focused on you, like it sounds... then vent all you can. If your not currently under her, try not to let her guilt you into anything. Sometimes if they're just coming to you, because they know you'll do it right and others may not, try screwing it up... that works for some people... if that's the reason they'll stop asking.

I'm sorry though for you, continue to know that you'll be deployed and out from under her for at least a little while ... and don't worry about being back under her and til you are actually back under her.
                              We actually did try to come as a group and bring it up higher, unfortunately she caught wind of it and sat in on the meeting and just deflected blame so everyone just ended getting yelled at with nothing productive coming of it. A few of those people have transferred since then and the current collective is still too new to her to start getting as bothered by it.

Today started off bad but after I made a couple of short/old jokes and cutting her off in the middle of her asinine statements she started leaving me alone. Although she did reply to an email I sent saying I should call them like I didn’t already try that.

Comment

Working...
                              X