Do You Ever Test Your Discipline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Ever Test Your Discipline?

Growing up, I did not know better. We had few of the "instant" gratification options of today. No smart phones, no PCs, no cell phones (just the black dial phone in the middle of the house), and very little of what folks today believe are the basics of life. Having said that, our parents thought we were the advantaged ones. Again, a common theme of mine....it's all relative.

But I do believe that with these technology innovations, and social media itself, folks these days almost depend on instant responses, to pretty much everything. Heck, we even have access to binge watch shows....whereas when I grew up, it was clearly once a week, but on very few channels. I think we had a handful at most on our black and white tvs, but truth is, radio was all most people had not long before.

There are plenty of benefits to all this innovation, but there are downsides. I believe young people are, to a fairly high degree, glued to wherever the social media takes them....and in some cases, to an addiction level. And now you hear about these new social concerns, like FOMO - fear of missing out, whereby folks are worried that they are missing out, just because they see something on facebook or Instagram or whatever that might suggest they have been left out of some type of social engagement. Imagine this sad situation, a teen is on a wonderful winter vacation in a tropical place, but is watching closely as her friends have a little fun back home. That is sad.

So I ask...do any of you test your discipline? I remember when my friend and I worked for a market garden (when we were in our mid teens), and we would sometimes test our ability to withstand the crazy heat in the green house. Of course we could escape any time we wanted, but it was interesting to see how long we could last without cooler air and something to drink. I know, goofy example, but it was a test. As were all those times we would practice and play sports in very poor conditions.....extreme heat and humidity, extreme cold and wind. Not sure it was our choice all the time, but we could quit of course.

Just for fun, sometimes when I BBQ in very cold canuck weather, I will go outside with just a long sleeve shirt (ha ha, and pants and shoes) for a few minutes at a time, to check things on the grill, and see if I can handle with little pain. It's a small test of discipline, in that I could easily just wear a parka. But it feels kind of good to tough it up as they say. Surprisingly, we humans are pretty tough. Maybe we don't allow ourselves the chance to show that off.

There are so many tests we could do on ourselves. Not checking our social media for long durations. Not eating some food we crave. Not bingeing on shows we like. You can think of a hundred of such exercises I suppose. Maybe more.

In the long run, I think we should try to manage our instantaneous urges. The more you do of it, the more you can handle. I am not advocating going outside at -40 with just a long sleeve shirt and jeans for more than a few minutes. But it is good to know that we are much more capable of handling "the wait", in all aspects of life, than we give ourselves credit for.:thumb:

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    Growing up, I did not know better. We had few of the "instant" gratification options of today. No smart phones, no PCs, no cell phones (just the black dial phone in the middle of the house), and very little of what folks today believe are the basics of life. Having said that, our parents thought we were the advantaged ones. Again, a common theme of mine....it's all relative.

But I do believe that with these technology innovations, and social media itself, folks these days almost depend on instant responses, to pretty much everything. Heck, we even have access to binge watch shows....whereas when I grew up, it was clearly once a week, but on very few channels. I think we had a handful at most on our black and white tvs, but truth is, radio was all most people had not long before.

There are plenty of benefits to all this innovation, but there are downsides. I believe young people are, to a fairly high degree, glued to wherever the social media takes them....and in some cases, to an addiction level. And now you hear about these new social concerns, like FOMO - fear of missing out, whereby folks are worried that they are missing out, just because they see something on facebook or Instagram or whatever that might suggest they have been left out of some type of social engagement. Imagine this sad situation, a teen is on a wonderful winter vacation in a tropical place, but is watching closely as her friends have a little fun back home. That is sad.

So I ask...do any of you test your discipline? I remember when my friend and I worked for a market garden (when we were in our mid teens), and we would sometimes test our ability to withstand the crazy heat in the green house. Of course we could escape any time we wanted, but it was interesting to see how long we could last without cooler air and something to drink. I know, goofy example, but it was a test. As were all those times we would practice and play sports in very poor conditions.....extreme heat and humidity, extreme cold and wind. Not sure it was our choice all the time, but we could quit of course.

Just for fun, sometimes when I BBQ in very cold canuck weather, I will go outside with just a long sleeve shirt (ha ha, and pants and shoes) for a few minutes at a time, to check things on the grill, and see if I can handle with little pain. It's a small test of discipline, in that I could easily just wear a parka. But it feels kind of good to tough it up as they say. Surprisingly, we humans are pretty tough. Maybe we don't allow ourselves the chance to show that off.

There are so many tests we could do on ourselves. Not checking our social media for long durations. Not eating some food we crave. Not bingeing on shows we like. You can think of a hundred of such exercises I suppose. Maybe more.

In the long run, I think we should try to manage our instantaneous urges. The more you do of it, the more you can handle. I am not advocating going outside at -40 with just a long sleeve shirt and jeans for more than a few minutes. But it is good to know that we are much more capable of handling "the wait", in all aspects of life, than we give ourselves credit for.:thumb:
    Hey D! I think this is such an important topic. How this technology is impacting the social development of children remains to be fully understood. However, going out to a restaurant and viewing a family of four not saying a word to each other, with each person's face glued to their phone, surely can't be indicative of a purely positive invention.

Addiction being the operable word - in moderation, social media and much of the technology of today is probably a benevolent idea. But, it appears to have so interwoven itself into the very fabric of our being, to have usurped any possible advantages of a non-instant gratification society. There is value there as well, as the work put into acquiring something adds to its overall reward.

But when you can merely push a button and instantly acquire something, does it not reduce that which you are acquiring to partial mediocrity? When you can instantly connect with anyone, are those connections as meaningful as they once were only by analog telephone, letter, or in person? When technology begins to think for us...is this really TRULY to our benefit? There's no arguing the convenience factor...but is it really advantageous to our development and happiness if there is nearly universal dependency upon this technology?

What will happen in 50 years when a massive solar flare blows out global power grids and plunges civilization into the dark ages for a few months? How many people will be screaming for help and directions from Siri, and be otherwise stranded? Sans technology, could we quickly devolve back into cave people? Imagine for one minute...your smart refrigerator takes scanned inventory of all of your foodstuffs, and auto orders whatever you're low on from Amazon, with your order delivered to your door (or in your home) by drone/robot. Imagine if robots then prepared your food - with all of your meals just "magically" appearing. Could people even feed themselves during an extended power outage?

It's scary to think about...and I do wonder if governmental regulations will attempt to steer this discussion going forward.

But in the meantime, certainly test your discipline, my friend! Put in the work to obtain something...or heck, just go outside in negative 40 degrees with just a long sleeve shirt. Make your body realize the true value of having that warm house for an even greater appreciation. Just don't freeze to death in the process!
    To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
      Hey D! I think this is such an important topic. How this technology is impacting the social development of children remains to be fully understood. However, going out to a restaurant and viewing a family of four not saying a word to each other, with each person's face glued to their phone, surely can't be indicative of a purely positive invention.

Addiction being the operable word - in moderation, social media and much of the technology of today is probably a benevolent idea. But, it appears to have so interwoven itself into the very fabric of our being, to have usurped any possible advantages of a non-instant gratification society. There is value there as well, as the work put into acquiring something adds to its overall reward.

But when you can merely push a button and instantly acquire something, does it not reduce that which you are acquiring to partial mediocrity? When you can instantly connect with anyone, are those connections as meaningful as they once were only by analog telephone, letter, or in person? When technology begins to think for us...is this really TRULY to our benefit? There's no arguing the convenience factor...but is it really advantageous to our development and happiness if there is nearly universal dependency upon this technology?

What will happen in 50 years when a massive solar flare blows out global power grids and plunges civilization into the dark ages for a few months? How many people will be screaming for help and directions from Siri, and be otherwise stranded? Sans technology, could we quickly devolve back into cave people? Imagine for one minute...your smart refrigerator takes scanned inventory of all of your foodstuffs, and auto orders whatever you're low on from Amazon, with your order delivered to your door (or in your home) by drone/robot. Imagine if robots then prepared your food - with all of your meals just "magically" appearing. Could people even feed themselves during an extended power outage?

It's scary to think about...and I do wonder if governmental regulations will attempt to steer this discussion going forward.

But in the meantime, certainly test your discipline, my friend! Put in the work to obtain something...or heck, just go outside in negative 40 degrees with just a long sleeve shirt. Make your body realize the true value of having that warm house for an even greater appreciation. Just don't freeze to death in the process!
      You took my topic and skated circles around it!!:thumb: I think you and I have discussed in other ways, that the high tech folks are doing all they can to get our attention, and basically steer our thoughts. And as you eloquently point out, we will become so dependent on technology/corporations....will many of us lose our ability to function on our own???

But alas there will be saviours.....they will come from the wilderness, in the mountains and the forests.....living a perfectly good life minus technology. They will survive. They probably will rule.

Comment

I test my discipline all the time.

Like just the other day I made some microwave popcorn and got scolded by the wife who could not believe I made microwave popcorn because not an hour before she washed the glass turn plate that I had apparently left dried butter drippings on from the last time I made microwave popcorn. Well holy hell! Send me to Auschwitz for being a popcorn butter spiller! Oh, my discipline was quite tested as I went upstairs knowing she could not see which finger I held up after I rounded the corner.

Is that what you meant or are you talking like waiting 30-minutes after eating to swim?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post

Like just the other day I made some microwave popcorn and got scolded by the wife who could not believe I made microwave popcorn because not an hour before she washed the glass turn plate that I had apparently left dried butter drippings on from the last time I made microwave popcorn. Well holy hell! Send me to Auschwitz for being a popcorn butter spiller! Oh, my discipline was quite tested as I went upstairs knowing she could not see which finger I held up after I rounded the corner.

Is that what you meant or are you talking like waiting 30-minutes after eating to swim?
          I have a slight hunch that your wife might understand this thread a wee bit better.....

:thumb:

Comment

Being paralyzed will give you discipline beyond your years
            "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
              Yea, I honestly cannot begin to appreciate or even understand the level of discipline and patience you must have.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                You took my topic and skated circles around it!!:thumb: I think you and I have discussed in other ways, that the high tech folks are doing all they can to get our attention, and basically steer our thoughts. And as you eloquently point out, we will become so dependent on technology/corporations....will many of us lose our ability to function on our own???

But alas there will be saviours.....they will come from the wilderness, in the mountains and the forests.....living a perfectly good life minus technology. They will survive. They probably will rule.
                No doubt, bud! Those forest dwelling hermits may just have the last laugh yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post

Microwave? Rancid, that ain't butter, it's yellow blasphemy.

For crying out loud, pop that corn old school...and lather it up with tube clogging legitimacy.

Comment

I could only imagine. Mad respect, bro...seriously.

Comment

Count me on the respect list dude!

I knew you had exceptional discipline and patience......putting up with my "Questions"!!!

Comment

Yes can-

This is a critical component of building strong character. I've tested myself with discipline dozens of times in career strategies alone...

But I think more to your point- testing your discipline on funny things like how long we can last in a green house? for sure. This stuff is fun. And yes- I am a millenial myself~29... I am of the older variety. Old enough where when I was a kid- I was always "lost" in the woods behind my house. My first cell phone at ~17. I grew up with all these things changing rapidly for us.

Today-

I feel strongly that all this electronic stimulation and social media gag bits are harmful to the brain.
                        Last edited by Zealander; 03-07-2018, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zealander View Post
                          Yes can-

This is a critical component of building strong character. I've tested myself with discipline dozens of times in career strategies alone...

But I think more to your point- testing your discipline on funny things like how long we can last in a green house? for sure. This stuff is fun. And yes- I am a millenial myself~29... I am of the older variety. Old enough where when I was a kid- I was always "lost" in the woods behind my house. My first cell phone at ~17. I grew up with all these things changing rapidly for us.

Today-

I feel strongly that all this electronic stimulation and social media gag bits are harmful to the brain.
                          I like your take on this subject....you old millennial you!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X