Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Sometimes Forget If You Locked The Door....And Other Similar Memory Lapses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Sometimes Forget If You Locked The Door....And Other Similar Memory Lapses

There are times when I think...."Did I lock the door?" "did I turn off the oven?" or "did I close the garage door?" These are just some examples of "did I's" when a person has left home and actually thought about what is normally a very simple act. But because we are away, it is not a great thing to have left something open or running, etc. But when pressed, because it is such a habit, it is sometimes hard to remember the actual act itself.

But it gets highly elevated in terms of panic, once the plane takes off, or you have just driven for about 2 hours. The good news, if you have a sitter or someone who checks in. At least you can contact them.

Sometimes when we are away, if I get a bit forgetful and wonder, my wife tells me to relax and not worry. She is right. But it still makes me anxious. Seriously, why would I leave a tap running??? Or why would I worry about a coffee maker still on, when they shut down on their own? And why would the sump pump stop working, when it has never stopped working before?

This is the life I lead. But there is a pretty good solution, you know. It's called "stay busy!"....and maybe have a stiff drink or two every now and again.
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-01-2018, 12:50 PM.

I use to always have to say to myself i turned off the _ to each thing i turn off when i leave.... and i still question it once i shut the door behind me.... for those of us who are that anxious over that crap, we would probably do better purchasing items that turned off automatically after so long... do they have stoves like that? Drives my husband crazy how much i can double check stuff, or worry about it after the fact.
    sigpic
    Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
    Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

Comment

Just last night I started driving to work and thought did I shut the garage door so I drive around the block to double check. I've also done it a few times with did I clock in our did I get distracted and walk away with out clocking in. So I have to walk back and double check

Adopted Broncos:
      (2011-2013) Eric Decker
      (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
      (2019-Current) Drew Lock
      Adopted posters:
      Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
        I use to always have to say to myself i turned off the _ to each thing i turn off when i leave.... and i still question it once i shut the door behind me.... for those of us who are that anxious over that crap, we would probably do better purchasing items that turned off automatically after so long... do they have stoves like that? Drives my husband crazy how much i can double check stuff, or worry about it after the fact.
        Originally posted by #87Birdman View Post
        Just last night I started driving to work and thought did I shut the garage door so I drive around the block to double check. I've also done it a few times with did I clock in our did I get distracted and walk away with out clocking in. So I have to walk back and double check
        I found my people!!!!

(will have to write this down so I don't say it again later!)

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
          I found my people!!!!

(will have to write this down so I don't say it again later!)
          It's okay if you don't and because if you say it again i will probably have forgotten also and probably respond again.

Adopted Broncos:
          (2011-2013) Eric Decker
          (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
          (2019-Current) Drew Lock
          Adopted posters:
          Everyone

Comment

It's okay if you don't and because if you say it again i will probably have forgotten also and probably respond again.
            This could be a lengthy, repetitive thread....

Comment

oh, my at work i'm the worst at work ... i can double check 5,6,7 times just to make sure what i submitted shows submitted ... i'm so paranoid i might miss submitting something that ends up impacting someone and making their life hell, that i check and recheck, then one or four more times just to be safe
              sigpic
              Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers

Comment

This could be a lengthy, repetitive thread....
                i like people like me...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
                  i like people like me...
                  Did I say that this could be a lengthy, repetitive thread?

Comment

Whenever we go on a trip, I make sure I check and recheck things that don't need to be checked. My wife does her "spin around" and if I had any brains, I'd just trust her assessment.

Comment

I wish our brains aged more like fine wines…as opposed to cheap cheese.

In addition to double/triple checking previous inspections, there’s other weird quirks. The older I get, the more I find myself rooming aimlessly - that thing where you go into a room and you’re like, “wait, what the hell did I come in here for?”
                      To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                        I wish our brains aged more like fine wines…as opposed to cheap cheese.

In addition to double/triple checking previous inspections, there’s other weird quirks. The older I get, the more I find myself rooming aimlessly - that thing where you go into a room and you’re like, “wait, what the hell did I come in here for?”
                        I am fully aware of the "rooming" issue....but I am not as dumb as I look. I always have a backup plan as to what I was looking for, just in case I'm asked. Sure, the look on my face may come across as clued out, but I answer in a timely manner, with something that might fool my wife. Then again, she's probably heard that same backup story many, many times.

Comment

I am fully aware of the "rooming" issue....but I am not as dumb as I look. I always have a backup plan as to what I was looking for, just in case I'm asked. Sure, the look on my face may come across as clued out, but I answer in a timely manner, with something that might fool my wife. Then again, she's probably heard that same backup story many, many times.
                          At least the stories of life never grow old!
                          To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                            At least the stories of life never grow old!
                            Gotta go.....off to another room. Can't wait to see what I do there when I get there!!

Comment

Working...
                            X