Sour Dough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sour Dough

I've posted before about my "simple" bread making. For Father's Day my kids bought me the proper utensils and recipe book for making sour dough goodies.

So far so good, although my wife has partnered with me, to make sure I get it right. Very tasty, and we've only touched the surface.

Wondering if others are into sour dough baking. If so, love to hear about your experiences, and which products you've really enjoyed.

Come to think of it, time for a small cup of java and a slice of sour dough bread, with nice cheese and herb ingredients, and reminisce of trips to San Francisco where sour dough rules!!

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    I've posted before about my "simple" bread making. For Father's Day my kids bought me the proper utensils and recipe book for making sour dough goodies.

So far so good, although my wife has partnered with me, to make sure I get it right. Very tasty, and we've only touched the surface.

Wondering if others are into sour dough baking. If so, love to hear about your experiences, and which products you've really enjoyed.

Come to think of it, time for a small cup of java and a slice of sour dough bread, with nice cheese and herb ingredients, and reminisce of trips to San Francisco where sour dough rules!!
    I haven't made bread myself.

But, I wanted to say the Sourdough bread is MUCH more healthier for you that white or whole wheat bread. It's good for your gut microbiome.

Comment

We have a Boudin close to where I live and it is truly a taste of SF, well.. the SD goodness part. Not the free needle, feces, no straw giving part!! Get a nice SD bowl filled with chili or potato soup?? MMmMMmMmMmmmmm... /drool

I've never baked it, but I'll eat it without hesitation.
      *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
      *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
      *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
        We have a Boudin close to where I live and it is truly a taste of SF, well.. the SD goodness part. Not the free needle, feces, no straw giving part!! Get a nice SD bowl filled with chili or potato soup?? MMmMMmMmMmmmmm... /drool

I grew up near SF, so yeah, I love SD. And sad about what I hear about SF.
        Administrator
        sigpic

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer - Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post

I did not know too much about the downside of sour dough / SF, but just used the city as a reference, given the obvious connection. But I have been there twice, and loved my time there and on tours/drives beyond. Beautiful sites/memories.

Anyway.....back to sour dough.

Comment

Originally posted by johntbronco View Post
            I haven't made bread myself.

But, I wanted to say the Sourdough bread is MUCH more healthier for you that white or whole wheat bread. It's good for your gut microbiome.
            Good to know my friend! Anything that's better for us, and tastes so good, is a bonus!:thumb:

Comment

Fresh baked sourdough! :drooling:

Doesn't sourdough need a starter blob of sourdough? I forget the witchcraft of producing this delicious bread.
              To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

I did not know too much about the downside of sour dough / SF, but just used the city as a reference, given the obvious connection. But I have been there twice, and loved my time there and on tours/drives beyond. Beautiful sites/memories.

Yes, back to SD!!! That stuff is greatness! And there are SD chips/crackers too!!! They are slices of Heaven on your tongue!!

*2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                  Fresh baked sourdough! :drooling:

Doesn't sourdough need a starter blob of sourdough? I forget the witchcraft of producing this delicious bread.
                  Yes....the ever special ingredient...the starter, which one must feed and feed and feed!

Funny story about that.....ours was provided to us by my daughter's friend. They kindly dropped it off, as if a special gift from the heavens! Actually, it is a pretty special gift....one that we continually keep alive! That's what's so cool about baking or gardening or other similar hobbies. There's life!

Comment

It's only been about the last year or so. Still love the area. Still home.
                    Administrator
                    sigpic

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer - Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Yes....the ever special ingredient...the starter, which one must feed and feed and feed!

Funny story about that.....ours was provided to us by my daughter's friend. They kindly dropped it off, as if a special gift from the heavens! Actually, it is a pretty special gift....one that we continually keep alive! That's what's so cool about baking or gardening or other similar hobbies. There's life!
                      That's cool! Nurture that sour starter - feed it, keep it warm, sing to it, whatever it takes to keep it happy! It is after all, the breadwinner. :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                        It's only been about the last year or so. Still love the area. Still home.
                        OK. I will admit that it was a little disappointing how many homeless people there were, just 3 years ago. But as you know, it's a most unique city, and surrounded by amazing journeys!!!

That's cool! Nurture that sour starter - feed it, keep it warm, sing to it, whatever it takes to keep it happy! It is after all, the breadwinner. :thumb:
                        Breadwinner....ha ha! Or like Homer would say....

"Sour, doh!"

Last edited by CanDB; 08-08-2018, 06:00 PM.

Comment

OK. I will admit that it was a little disappointing how many homeless people there were, just 3 years ago. But as you know, it's a most unique city, and surrounded by amazing journeys!!!

Breadwinner....ha ha! Or like Homer would say....

"Sour, doh!"

Well played! Every good loaf needs some D'oh!

Comment

Well played! Every good loaf needs some D'oh!
                            You must give me a wee bit of credit, leaving out a "u" and a "g".....normally I resort to my canuck ways and ADD a "u" to words. (see: humour, colour, favour, flavour...etc.)

Comment

Just a minor update....we made sour dough "focaccia" which we used as a pizza crust, and it was really quite good! A little thicker than some might like it, but I'm good with thin or thick. Definitely thick on the toppings!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X