What Did I Miss Out On the Most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Did I Miss Out On the Most?

Today is the 32nd anniversary of my family's car accident. As a result, I missed out on a lot of life's key moments. I've never kissed anyone, gone on a date, driven a car, ridden a bike, hit the town, learned to fight, learned to dance, cook, clean, etc. So what did I miss out on the most?
    "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

I gave this some thought from the perspective of what I might miss after experiencing these things. First off, you can still do some of these things. Friends can take you out on the town and I don't know anyone that would say not riding a bike is missing out. Some others you can take care of with some cash.

But for me, I would say cooking is the thing you are missing out on. The creativity and satisfaction that comes with grilling a steak or a piece of salmon just right, or making a chop salad that has the perfect mix of sweet from grapes, blue cheese and roasted pecans all mixed into spring greens. Smoking a brisket for hours or making a holiday meal with prime rib or beef wellington and having your family smile and thank you as they say how good it is. I really enjoy it when the people I care about enjoy my food and that is what I would miss.

You can still do things. You can skydive, ride in a dune-buggy, play blackjack, go to a strip-joint, take a class, learn how to debate so you can fight with your mind instead of running over people's toes, or something that invigorates you. I know they have car races and demolition derbies out there-- I have been to them. Feeling the vibrations from the cars is awesome. Same for rodeo-- it sucks on TV but seeing it live is really cool; particularly when you feel the vibrations in the ground from the animals as they jump.

The other day on ESPN I was watching the drone races and thought almost anyone could do something like that. Maybe there is something that interests you that you could find to do.
    Last edited by Rancid; 10-27-2018, 07:20 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

I like to think that you (and all of us) focus on one of Rancid's key points.....doing things. Or maybe, exploring one's passions, or even minor interests.

I don't know you well enough HC, but you have recently mentioned the stock market, and I believe your Dad is a financial person. (maybe I got that wrong..sorry if I misinterpreted). Have you any interest in the financial world? Based on what I can tell, you might be very good at it. You are an intelligent person, who might love the challenge/opportunity that financials/economics can offer. Ha ha...maybe even make some money along the way!! And because I believe you are good at the old numbers, you might love the experience of following markets or individual stocks and bonds, and so forth. It can actually get a little time consuming, but some folks really take to it. Trends. probabilities, cause and effect, etc., can sure make for a wild ride, especially when you combine the entire globe, and every influence. Just knowing about the wise, cautious, productive Warren Buffet is not a bad place to start!

As an aside....this is about moving towards becoming an expert in the field, not losing one's own money. More about studying, understanding, and potentially becoming a professional. And much to do with the interest it can provide.:thumb:

Then again, I may be incorrect....it might not be your bag, so to speak.

Regardless, I would start with this, to anyone who was "exploring". What kinds of things interest you? And from there we begin. Some folks do not even know about their true interests... YET, but discover them later in life, after a series of events/actions tap into them.

Many of us here are fortunate, because sports is a passion, and sports has no limits. I actually worry that someday I will lose my love for sports, because it would create a large hole in my life. So far so good!

I know I strayed from the topic, but I like potential, and looking forward.
      Last edited by CanDB; 10-27-2018, 10:46 AM.

Comment

HC...I have an ulterior motive. I might have to come to you for good stock advice!!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
          HC...I have an ulterior motive. I might have to come to you for good stock advice!!
          Wrong person. My dad and I have almost nothing in common. If it weren't for us both having black hair, pale skin, and the fact that we prefer the quiet, you'd never know that we were related. We're not even from the same country
          "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
            Wrong person. My dad and I have almost nothing in common. If it weren't for us both having black hair, pale skin, and the fact that we prefer the quiet, you'd never know that we were related. We're not even from the same country
            OK....just used as a reference. You are intelligent and you are good at numbers, as I understand. Those two things alone make you pretty powerful, whether in the financial world or otherwise.

Comment

I have no idea as to your condition but like Rancid said, unless you are bedridden... theres a big wide world out there waiting for you. If you are in a wheelchair, there is no reason you cant date. No reason you cant hit the town, no reason you cant learn to cook and clean, as for kissing someone, a little cash will get you a lot of that. lol. you just need the want to. You are a Broncos fan, the world is yours for the taking! Take your part!
              Last edited by Saddletramp; 10-29-2018, 06:53 PM.
              [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
              Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

Originally posted by Saddletramp View Post
                I have no idea as to your condition but like Rancid said, unless you are bedridden... theres a big wide world out there waiting for you. If you are in a wheelchair, there is no reason you cant date. No reason you cant hit the town, no reason you cant learn to clean.... you just need the want to.
                I'm house-bound. I can't leave my house, and I'm paralyzed from the next down & have been for 32 years

Comment

Working...
                X