No announcement yet.

The "Anything Goes" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are many ways to look at life. You can believe in fate, or faith, or luck, or timing or a bunch of things....likely combined as your overall belief system. And though I do not adhere as I should, if unsure, perhaps the best way to approach life is by objectively seeking the better outcome on every single decision you make. That is not totally realistic, but think of it. We probably make hundreds of decisions every day, many of them being very small. "Should I go here first or there?" But in a pragmatic world, if you choose the smarter decision most of the time, and especially on the priority ones, you will likely be a success in one way or another.

Now....bad luck, fate, timing or whatever, could make a mess of that theory, but I think the odds are good if you follow that plan.

Comment

• We watch The Grammies….usually. But they seem to have at least one too many categories that the same people compete against. I get Song of The Year, and Album of The Year, but do they need a Record of The Year as well? Maybe I have things misinterpreted a little, but for me, one for an individual song and one for an album works just fine.

Listen, I think Billie Eilish and her brother are fantastic, and I love some of their music! But it seems to me, and this is not the first time, mostly the same folks are against each other for one extra award. And in this case, one too many awards going to the same folks.

Comment

• The other night when walking the dog in the dark, on a slippery path, I wiped out good! I landed awkwardly, and was relieved no one was around. The doggie bag and treats went flying. The dog was confused. Anyway, I got up and hurt a bit, but then I felt that familiar feeling, a sharp pain in my toe. I think when I lost my balance my right foot made like a field goal kick forward, hitting a sharp edge of ice. Not ideal given I was wearing thin rubber boots.

The pain mostly subsided gradually, but I am pretty sure this is my 2nd broken toe in a few years, based on the usual tests. This is at least my 3rd broken toe (for a total of about 10 bones). Not fixable (other than rest), but a pain in the butt! (and the toe). Good news it's the index toe, because its neighbour - the big toe, took me almost 2 months to properly heal.

Clutz!!!!

Last edited by CanDB; 01-29-2020, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
          The other night when walking the dog in the dark, on a slippery path, I wiped out good! I landed awkwardly, and was relieved no one was around. The doggie bag and treats went flying. The dog was confused. Anyway, I got up and hurt a bit, but then I felt that familiar feeling, a sharp pain in my toe. I think when I lost my balance my right foot made like a field goal kick forward, hitting a sharp edge of ice. Not ideal given I was wearing thin rubber boots.

The pain mostly subsided gradually, but I am pretty sure this is my 2nd broken toe in a few years, based on the usual tests. This is at least my 3rd broken toe (for a total of about 10 bones). Not fixable (other than rest), but a pain in the butt! (and the toe). Good news it's the index toe, because its neighbour - the big toe, took me almost 2 months to properly heal.

Clutz!!!!
          Well you are older now so it will take longer to heal, yes?

Comment

• Originally posted by 2 Minute Warning View Post
            Well you are older now so it will take longer to heal, yes?
            I was going to mention....the process is much slower these days. That's why I try to avoid injury, as much as I can. Especially a broken bone....given the time and the effort to heal properly.

Comment

• I am pretty sure (though not exactly) that if you put a price discount on almost anything, where I come from, there will be immediate interest.

Comment

• I appreciate why folks sometimes look for any type of pain killer they can find. Relief often rules over almost anything else.

Comment

• I'm in a lottery group from my old job, and though the guy who runs it means well, I really don't care to be advised every time we "almost" win something. To me, that's equivalent to being as far off as is possible. Same result.

(Yes, he means well)

Comment

I'm in a lottery group from my old job, and though the guy who runs it means well, I really don't care to be advised every time we "almost" win something. To me, that's equivalent to being as far off as is possible. Same result.

(Yes, he means well)
                    I put in 10 bucks with a guy from work to do one off those "square" things for the superbowl.
                    He said 50% goes to a school charity and 50% goes to prizes.

The next day he said i could download some app to watch if my number comes up with the square.
                    I told him "naw". Once I found out it was a charity, I basically gave the 10 bucks away with no intention on getting anything back. I told him i trust that he will inform me.
                    I am contemplating donating any winnings i get to that charity if I happen to win.

Comment

• Originally posted by johntbronco View Post
                      I put in 10 bucks with a guy from work to do one off those "square" things for the superbowl.
                      He said 50% goes to a school charity and 50% goes to prizes.

The next day he said i could download some app to watch if my number comes up with the square.
                      I told him "naw". Once I found out it was a charity, I basically gave the 10 bucks away with no intention on getting anything back. I told him i trust that he will inform me.
                      I am contemplating donating any winnings i get to that charity if I happen to win.
                      You're a good man!

Comment

• My wife and kids have always pushed me to try different things, like meal choices at a restaurant. I find that about 80% of the time, I wish I would have gone with my first choice. Happened tonight. The other 20% odds are not working in my favour!

Comment

• Just a bit of a more straightforward observation...once you find out someone is to be stayed away from....stay away. Go with your gut, and with the obvious.

Comment

• I have probably said this one before (somewhere), but I think it deserves to be repeated....other than serious setbacks (which are not easy to overcome), try to look for good things that eventually come to life, from the difficult situation. For example, you may have missed out on a job, or an opportunity, but ended up finding your partner for life. Or you used a setback to better yourself. Again, this is not about major problems, but I've heard/read about many folks who have found positive meaning in life, after being dealt with a very bad hand. Total respect!!

In other words, if you can, try to find a good path after you encounter a very trying time. And while sifting through, make note of the good things that occurred as a result. The connection may help you appreciate that often there is ultimate value when faced with setbacks.
                            Last edited by CanDB; 02-05-2020, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Just a bit of a more straightforward observation...once you find out someone is to be stayed away from....stay away. Go with your gut, and with the obvious.
                              Very good advice. Sometimes it's hard to avoid, though.
                              Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                                Very good advice. Sometimes it's hard to avoid, though.
                                Tell me about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X