Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "Anything Goes" Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • You know who had a great day yesterday.....

    Amanda Gorman, the young poet whose crafted words were heard round the world. If we as individuals had stock values, hers went off the charts in mere minutes. She is amazing!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      We have a cute female dog, but almost everyone calls her a "he". I've told people in my condo many times that "she" this, or "she" that, and next time they see her, they say "he". Is "he" the default for most smaller dogs? Don't they know that she has feelings, and how stupid she must think they are?

      Those people should know if you call the pet "it".....they're safe.
      Utah Bronco Freak

      Comment


      • Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

        Those people should know if you call the pet "it".....they're safe.
        I know. Take the risk out of life. "It" works. The dog doesn't know.

        Haha...I mentioned once before here, but this brings back memories of how some folks misunderstand dogs. Like the old dude who called out to me from his condo suite "pick it up" when he saw my dog take a pee just outside the property. I was never trained how to pick up pee before....




        I mean, say what????

        Comment


        • Such a positive....not having to open up negatives.

          I've said this before, but this place seems so much more civil since the negs are gone. Discussions carry on. People differ as they should. Opinions will not always be the same, and that's a good thing if you want honesty and transparency. In fact, disagreement can lead to new friendships. And the odd time we may need to step in gently and see if we can lighten the tone. But among most groups, it's not too hard, if we are respectful and keep things cool.

          Comment


          • Just my take for today.....mistakes we make are unwelcome, but often serve as a valuable tool in that they can be utilized as good lessons by which to guide and educate our children and others.
            Last edited by CanDB; 02-18-2021, 12:44 PM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by CanDB View Post
              Just my take for today.....mistakes we make are unwelcome, but often serve as a valuable tool in that they can be utilized as good lessons by which to guide and educate our children and others.
              So true. Many people think it's a waste of time to learn from their mistakes or witnessing another persons mistake and ignoring what could happen.

              We had a strict father, military officer, rigid but fair. I learned to pay attention early on in life when my older brother got into trouble creating a firm spanking situation, I rarely repeated my brothers mistakes. I believe "Live and learn" should have been the tenth commandment.
              Utah Bronco Freak

              Comment


              • Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

                So true. Many people think it's a waste of time to learn from their mistakes or witnessing another persons mistake and ignoring what could happen.

                We had a strict father, military officer, rigid but fair. I learned to pay attention early on in life when my older brother got into trouble creating a firm spanking situation, I rarely repeated my brothers mistakes. I believe "Live and learn" should have been the tenth commandment.
                Yes....so many of us live, but not enough of us learn.

                Comment


                • At this ripe age, I am still very much in awe of space travel. I can not fathom how you can build a craft to travel hundreds of millions of miles, and land it perfectly... onto Mars in this case. Congratz NASA!!

                  And well done "Percy"! As the saying goes...a little Perseverance goes a long way.

                  Comment


                  • National Drink Wine Day

                    Oh good, at least I can explain one day I drank wine since the pandemic!!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by CanDB View Post

                      I know. Take the risk out of life. "It" works. The dog doesn't know.

                      Haha...I mentioned once before here, but this brings back memories of how some folks misunderstand dogs. Like the old dude who called out to me from his condo suite "pick it up" when he saw my dog take a pee just outside the property. I was never trained how to pick up pee before....




                      I mean, say what????

                      Sometimes the owners don't know either. I once took a male cat to the vet to be spade, was shocked to learn she was a he.
                      sigpic
                      Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                      Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                      Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
                      Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post

                        Sometimes the owners don't know either. I once took a male cat to the vet to be spade, was shocked to learn she was a he.
                        Well it's sure good that someone knew the score in that case!!!

                        Comment


                        • The beatings will continue until morale improves....

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                            At this ripe age, I am still very much in awe of space travel. I can not fathom how you can build a craft to travel hundreds of millions of miles, and land it perfectly... onto Mars in this case. Congratz NASA!!

                            And well done "Percy"! As the saying goes...a little Perseverance goes a long way.
                            The Universe is astonishing and so grateful for all the engineers that help us understand it.

                            The distances in space and the time it takes to travel within some of those distances is hard to understand.

                            I did a little research about "one light year" a while back and was astounded at what I learned. Check this out.

                            Most people know a light year is the distance light travels in one year. 186,282 miles per second.
                            So, to put that speed in perspective...at the earths equator, one lap is approximately 25,000 miles. Light would travel around the equator 7 ½ times in one second.
                            There are 31,557,600 seconds in a year. That's 5,878,639,427,505.244 miles, close to 6 trillion miles in one year. Wait, it gets better!
                            Our nearest galactic neighbor or space feature is the Andromeda galaxy. It's just over two million light years away and within that galaxy is the
                            closest star to us beyond our sun. That star is named Proxima Centauri. It's a red dwarf star that is 4.24 light years away, It's closest neighbor star
                            is Alpha Centauri which is much brighter but farther away then Proxima Centauri. The light projected from Proxima Centauri that we see today began
                            traveling to us the same time our ancestors of modern humans were first discovering stone tools, approximately 1.8 to 2.6 million years ago.

                            Now, using ion drive technology, the Deep Space 1 mission to comet Borrelly that took place in 1998 traveled at approximately 35,000 per hour during
                            its flyby of the comet, it would take over 81,000 years at 35,000 per hour to traverse the 4.24 light years from earth to Proxima Centauri.

                            I guess it's paramount for us earthlings to start working on a Star Trek type transporter A.S.A.P.
                            Last edited by jazzbodog; 02-28-2021, 06:10 PM.
                            Utah Bronco Freak

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

                              The Universe is astonishing and so grateful for all the engineers that help us understand it.

                              The distances in space and the time it takes to travel within some of those distances is hard to understand.

                              I did a little research about "one light year" a while back and was astounded at what I learned. Check this out.

                              Most people know a light year is the distance light travels in one year. 186,282 miles per second.
                              So, to put that speed in perspective...at the earths equator, one lap is approximately 25,000 miles. Light would travel around the equator 7 ½ times in one second.
                              There are 31,557,600 seconds in a year. That's 5,878,639,427,505.244 miles, close to 6 trillion miles in one year. Wait, it gets better!
                              Our nearest galactic neighbor or space feature is the Andromeda galaxy. It's just over two million light years away and within that galaxy is the
                              closest star to us beyond our sun. That star is named Proxima Centauri. It's a red dwarf star that is 4.24 light years away, It's closest neighbor star
                              is Alpha Centauri which is much brighter but farther away then Proxima Centauri. The light projected from Proxima Centauri that we see today began
                              traveling to us the same time our ancestors of modern humans were first discovering stone tools, approximately 1.8 to 2.6 million years ago.

                              Now, using ion drive technology, the Deep Space 1 mission to comet Borrelly that took place in 1998 traveled at approximately 35,000 per hour during
                              its flyby of the comet, it would take over 81,000 years at 35,000 per hour to traverse the 4.24 light years from earth to Proxima Centauri.

                              I guess it's paramount for us earthlings to start working on a Star Trek type transporter A.S.A.P.
                              This stuff is mind boggling!!! I still get a charge about the fact that some stars we see in the darkness of night, no longer exist. We are truly looking at the distant past.

                              No wonder those so called "nerds" have so much enjoyment with this stuff!! How can you not be fascinated by the glorious sky??!! And it's eternity, as we understand it to be!

                              Comment


                              • I suggest folks be careful with what they post in Facebook or wherever, that is public domain. Not exactly news, but a lot of folks who are in the hiring game use that info to help with their selection process. If I was hiring and saw an applicant talking about their various conspiracy theories for example, their chances at getting a job would be slim to none. (And "Slim" just left)


                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X