Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanDB
    replied
    Freedom is the ability to speak honestly (and yes, with evidence of good judgement) and not feel obligated or overly influenced by the oft overrated popular but not necessarily correct response.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    So much to be thankful for....

Improving leadership (from my little perch). Pandemic almost under control (lets be wise). Good family and friends.

Another great cup of coffee (after another)!

Life is good!

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post

Every time I feel like I'm getting back on track with eating and workouts, my work sends out another huge box of gourmet cookies. It's not their fault though either. I blame my metabolism.
    ENJOY.....you can work out anytime, but those fabulous cookies are not always close by!!

Leave a comment:

• Sophia23
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    It's my wife's fault........for me gaining a few pounds of late. She keeps baking, bread, cookies, muffins, cake, pies. Not my fault!

Now I have to do some extra workouts, and modify my baking intake. I'll get this right in a couple of weeks, but cmon!

So cruel of her......
    Every time I feel like I'm getting back on track with eating and workouts, my work sends out another huge box of gourmet cookies. It's not their fault though either. I blame my metabolism.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    I think some folks like to muddy the waters with their version of the truth, as it gives them a false sense of being correct, no matter how ill advised. Or they accept whatever certain types tell them, because they like the sound of it......though substance is basically lacking. The "truth" is, sometimes there is only one version of it. The argument about multiple sides to it do not apply just because one feels like it. Sorry, but things like 2 plus 2 still equal 4.....unless you are an alien of sorts. Or if the person you worship states it, I suppose.

So for example, if you are caught driving 100 in a 60 zone, don't argue. Just accept it, like we should accept the truth that does not always align with what we want to hear.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    It's my wife's fault........for me gaining a few pounds of late. She keeps baking, bread, cookies, muffins, cake, pies. Not my fault!

Now I have to do some extra workouts, and modify my baking intake. I'll get this right in a couple of weeks, but cmon!

So cruel of her......

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    So my wife actually messed up (not me this time) and put a remote in the wash. Wondered why the loud wash!

Sure enough, the ole rice wrap got the moisture out, and it works again! Pretty sweet.

Lucky it wasn't me trying to fix it...I probably would have added soya sauce.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    I suggest folks be careful with what they post in Facebook or wherever, that is public domain. Not exactly news, but a lot of folks who are in the hiring game use that info to help with their selection process. If I was hiring and saw an applicant talking about their various conspiracy theories for example, their chances at getting a job would be slim to none. (And "Slim" just left)

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

The Universe is astonishing and so grateful for all the engineers that help us understand it.

The distances in space and the time it takes to travel within some of those distances is hard to understand.

I did a little research about "one light year" a while back and was astounded at what I learned. Check this out.

Most people know a light year is the distance light travels in one year. 186,282 miles per second.
    So, to put that speed in perspective...at the earths equator, one lap is approximately 25,000 miles. Light would travel around the equator 7 ½ times in one second.
    There are 31,557,600 seconds in a year. That's 5,878,639,427,505.244 miles, close to 6 trillion miles in one year. Wait, it gets better!
    Our nearest galactic neighbor or space feature is the Andromeda galaxy. It's just over two million light years away and within that galaxy is the
    closest star to us beyond our sun. That star is named Proxima Centauri. It's a red dwarf star that is 4.24 light years away, It's closest neighbor star
    is Alpha Centauri which is much brighter but farther away then Proxima Centauri. The light projected from Proxima Centauri that we see today began
    traveling to us the same time our ancestors of modern humans were first discovering stone tools, approximately 1.8 to 2.6 million years ago.

Now, using ion drive technology, the Deep Space 1 mission to comet Borrelly that took place in 1998 traveled at approximately 35,000 per hour during
    its flyby of the comet, it would take over 81,000 years at 35,000 per hour to traverse the 4.24 light years from earth to Proxima Centauri.

I guess it's paramount for us earthlings to start working on a Star Trek type transporter A.S.A.P.
    This stuff is mind boggling!!! I still get a charge about the fact that some stars we see in the darkness of night, no longer exist. We are truly looking at the distant past.

No wonder those so called "nerds" have so much enjoyment with this stuff!! How can you not be fascinated by the glorious sky??!! And it's eternity, as we understand it to be!

Leave a comment:

• jazzbodog
    replied
    At this ripe age, I am still very much in awe of space travel. I can not fathom how you can build a craft to travel hundreds of millions of miles, and land it perfectly... onto Mars in this case. Congratz NASA!!

And well done "Percy"! As the saying goes...a little Perseverance goes a long way.
    The Universe is astonishing and so grateful for all the engineers that help us understand it.

The distances in space and the time it takes to travel within some of those distances is hard to understand.

I did a little research about "one light year" a while back and was astounded at what I learned. Check this out.

Most people know a light year is the distance light travels in one year. 186,282 miles per second.
    So, to put that speed in perspective...at the earths equator, one lap is approximately 25,000 miles. Light would travel around the equator 7 ½ times in one second.
    There are 31,557,600 seconds in a year. That's 5,878,639,427,505.244 miles, close to 6 trillion miles in one year. Wait, it gets better!
    Our nearest galactic neighbor or space feature is the Andromeda galaxy. It's just over two million light years away and within that galaxy is the
    closest star to us beyond our sun. That star is named Proxima Centauri. It's a red dwarf star that is 4.24 light years away, It's closest neighbor star
    is Alpha Centauri which is much brighter but farther away then Proxima Centauri. The light projected from Proxima Centauri that we see today began
    traveling to us the same time our ancestors of modern humans were first discovering stone tools, approximately 1.8 to 2.6 million years ago.

Now, using ion drive technology, the Deep Space 1 mission to comet Borrelly that took place in 1998 traveled at approximately 35,000 per hour during
    its flyby of the comet, it would take over 81,000 years at 35,000 per hour to traverse the 4.24 light years from earth to Proxima Centauri.

I guess it's paramount for us earthlings to start working on a Star Trek type transporter A.S.A.P.
    Last edited by jazzbodog; 02-28-2021, 05:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dizzolve
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post

Sometimes the owners don't know either. I once took a male cat to the vet to be spade, was shocked to learn she was a he.
    Well it's sure good that someone knew the score in that case!!!

Leave a comment:

• Sophia23
    replied

I know. Take the risk out of life. "It" works. The dog doesn't know.

Haha...I mentioned once before here, but this brings back memories of how some folks misunderstand dogs. Like the old dude who called out to me from his condo suite "pick it up" when he saw my dog take a pee just outside the property. I was never trained how to pick up pee before....

I mean, say what????

Sometimes the owners don't know either. I once took a male cat to the vet to be spade, was shocked to learn she was a he.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    National Drink Wine Day

Oh good, at least I can explain one day I drank wine since the pandemic!!

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    At this ripe age, I am still very much in awe of space travel. I can not fathom how you can build a craft to travel hundreds of millions of miles, and land it perfectly... onto Mars in this case. Congratz NASA!!

And well done "Percy"! As the saying goes...a little Perseverance goes a long way.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X