Corona virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Anyone demanding anything of anyone is silly, but for the large part, specifically this conversation here, that is not what is happening. Do you feel the small inconvenience of wearing a mask is honestly not worth potentially saving a life, or reducing the spread of the very contagious disease?

I am not a proponent at all at staying in lockdowns, and I agree we need to get on with life. But, a caveat for that being that we don't just abandon social distancing, and we take some simple measures as people to reduce any further harm happening to human life, regardless of if it will affect us personally or not. Put aside the radical people who you have heard "demands" from, do you really hear that as an unreasonable request ?
    There is a legitimate argument whether wearing masks actually prevent anything.

https://www.livescience.com/are-face...us-spread.html

For those of you who love science, this article combats both sides.

Tell me what the point of a healthy person wearing a mask is? If I'm healthy and free from infection what harm am I causing anyone? Again, if we are going to be concerned about germs and protection for others we might as well just live the rest of our lives with masks and temperature checks because that threat will will be there forever.

Faucci said himself he envisions this being an annual problem just like the flu. Translation, it's not going away!! Knowing that, even with a vaccine and the complete overblown fear from this thing people are going to overreact every time this flares.

I love my fellow human being, I don't hate anyone or any race or any religion. I've stated several times how I'm doing my part in staying as separated from others as I can. I'm healthy, I know I'm healthy and I won't go out if I feel I'm not. This whole you have to wear a mask and if you don't you're a terrorist crowd is ridiculous. If you are sick you should be the one wearing one, not me. For ANYONE in here to tell me I gave no love for my neighbor doesn't know me and how dare you judge anyone. I have a freedom of choice my choice is to not wear a mask, why, BECAUSE IM HEALTHY

Comment

• Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post

Tell me what the point of a healthy person wearing a mask is? If I'm healthy and free from infection what harm am I causing anyone? Again, if we are going to be concerned about germs and protection for others we might as well just live the rest of our lives with masks and temperature checks because that threat will will be there forever.

Faucci said himself he envisions this being an annual problem just like the flu. Translation, it's not going away!! Knowing that, even with a vaccine and the complete overblown fear from this thing people are going to overreact every time this flares.

I love my fellow human being, I don't hate anyone or any race or any religion. I've stated several times how I'm doing my part in staying as separated from others as I can. I'm healthy, I know I'm healthy and I won't go out if I feel I'm not. This whole you have to wear a mask and if you don't you're a terrorist crowd is ridiculous. If you are sick you should be the one wearing one, not me. For ANYONE in here to tell me I gave no love for my neighbor doesn't know me and how dare you judge anyone. I have a freedom of choice my choice is to not wear a mask, why, BECAUSE IM HEALTHY
      You're healthy until you're not. You don't contract the virus and feel sick within 2 minutes. Here is some science for you to digest

Taken from the WHO website: https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...rsn=5ae25bc7_6

Pre-symptomatic transmission
      The incubation period for COVID-19, which is the time between exposure to the virus (becoming infected) and
      symptom onset, is on average 5-6 days, however can be up to 14 days. During this period, also known as the “presymptomatic” period, some infected persons can be contagious. Therefore, transmission from a pre-symptomatic case
      can occur before symptom onset.
      In a small number of case reports and studies, pre-symptomatic transmission has been documented through contact
      tracing efforts and enhanced investigation of clusters of confirmed cases. 12-17 This is supported by data suggesting that
      some people can test positive for COVID-19 from 1-3 days before they develop symptoms.6,16 Thus, it is possible that
      people infected with COVID-19 could transmit the virus before significant symptoms develop. It is important to
      recognize that pre-symptomatic transmission still requires the virus to be spread via infectious droplets or through
      touching contaminated surfaces.

So you can feel healthy while being infected and spreading it unknowingly.

Comment

No doubt there is conflicting information regarding masks, and there has been during this whole pandemic, that will continue. The conversation, the response to the disease, and also the best way to control the disease have been fluid and changing, but still, that is beside the point. You seem hell-bent on your stance for some reason that goes beyond the actual point, which is the health of the community in the face of a health crisis. You have asked a question here in your post which you know the answer to, you actually answered it earlier in the thread. In short, you might not be showing symptoms but might be a carrier walking around potentially infecting others, pretty simple and easy to understand.

Look, the health advice might not be 100% accurate, but they are trying. They are trying to find measures to be able to slow down and stop this thing from getting worse than it already has, while slowly trying to get the economy and life back to some level of normality. I say that if it means we can return to doing the activities we enjoy, getting back to work, hopefully getting back to being a productive society, we do it. Maybe in 3 years we find out that it was a waste of time, and there is better health advice, but your life was not dramatically negatively affected either way, and if there is a chance it could have helped, so why not do it ?

The issue here is that you are more concerned with not being a "sheep" and winning an argument against someone you have been offended by, and that is of a higher priority to you. You can call the people who want masks being worn a terrorist crowd, but you seem just as radical in the other direction, and just as much a follower, again just on the other side of the argument. You are not unique, woke, or on some path of thought-provoking change here, you are part of the over politizing of every issue which plagues the country.

I also don't know if you are just doubling down in this argument to try and find any small straw to grasp onto based on how poorly your initial post in starting this thread has aged, but either way, it doesn't make sense to me to be this unreasonable and stubborn in your stance. It's not asking for much, and I see the small inconvenience as nothing at all compared to potentially losing human life, but that's just me.

Comment

Sure it's not going to go away, that doesn't mean this level of caution is needed every year.

You know why we don't lockdown for the flu since 1918? Because everyone has anti-bodies for it and so now when they get it, it is generally less severe over time than it was in 1918. The same will be true of this, to suggest that we're allegedly going to have to social distance and wear masks the rest of our lives is straight up propaganda and scare tactics.... Fucci's not suggestion that...He's just saying this virus will persist in the world, just as the Flu does.

I really suggest you go back and read up on the spanish flu, it'll give you some real insight into what we're dealing with right now.
          sigpic

Comment

I want to add to this, not a single person here called you a terrorist, so it's disingenuous to claim we are. It makes it hard to have a discussion in good faith when you throw out hyperbole like that...

I think the whole crux of your issue is you assume because you feel good, you don't need a mask, the whole point we're getting at is you can feel fine and already have it and be spreading it... That's why it's important for now while this thing is at its peak to wear a mask for the safety of others, because you don't truly know if you're spreading the disease or perfectly healthy. You could have it and not show symptoms for several days after the fact. That also doesn't mean you're going to have to do this for the rest of your life... Worst case scenario, we'll have some restrictions until mid year next year if even that long. None of this is to control you, none of this is to oppress you, it's just to help keep the spread of this virus slow and manageable until the general population builds up anti-bodies to combat the disease in future seasons, just like already happens with the seasonal flu virus.
            Last edited by Freyaka; 07-12-2020, 06:12 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                Ha, yeah well jokes on you because you can actually drink urine.....just ask Bear Grylls

Comment

Ha, yeah well jokes on you because you can actually drink urine.....just ask Bear Grylls
                  Can and should are two very different things...
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                    Can and should are two very different things...
                    Agreed but you know...just saying LOL

Comment

• My father in law broke his arm yesterday by falling off a ladder.

If there's one guy who's pretty self absorbed, opinionated, and almost selfish during all of this Covid stuff - it's him.

He NEVER believed in shutting down the economy.

He AGREED that Covid was overrated, or even a hoax.

He NEVER wears a mask in public..... Until yesterday, when I took him to the ER and told him "Ed, if you want help to fix your arm, you need to wear a damn mask or they won't touch you in there...."

Guess who reluctantly wore a mask? Ed did. Why? Because his armor (and pride) were broken, and he NEEDED help from health care professionals.

Kind of reminds me of all the stories of people who didn't want to follow the rules as in social distancing, wearing masks, isolating from others yadda yadda. Then maybe their symptoms got worse, and their lungs got bad, and they needed to be put on a ventilator and pressure support.

I can tell you one thing - I can guarantee you none of them were calling Covid 19 a hoax, overhyped, media driven, remarking how wearing a mask is stupid - as their propofol infused into their veins, as the ventilator pulled in their breaths, and as their family watched on....

When the music starts and your ASS is on the line, it's INCREDIBLE to see the change in people so they can receive help... But this change from these group of individuals is only change at the very last second (and a lot of times reluctantly, like Ed).

Wear a flippin' mask..

Comment

....... I have a freedom of choice my choice is to not wear a mask, why, BECAUSE IM HEALTHY
                        Sorry pal. This comment is just flat out missing the point. You may be healthy, but you may spread the virus. Not sure how that doesn't make sense. And it's not like a healthy person spreads healthy virus. Same virus. Same impact on others.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                          Good stuff Brent!

The only small side issue is the fact that two dudes are walking around with wet pants.

BUT the concept is spot on (again, except for the spot)

Comment

• The economy never should have been shut down.

Have people wear masks, until a vaccine is developed, and get on with life.

Take extra precautions with those who have underlying health concerns.

Btw, a 103 year old woman survived the virus.

How are you supposed to develop a herd immunity if you don’t let the herd get sick?

Fauci could very well be wrong about the virus amping up again in the late fall or winter.

None of the other corona viruses came back in a significant way.
                            You Mad Bro?

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                              The economy never should have been shut down.

How are you supposed to develop a herd immunity if you don’t let the herd get sick?

Fauci could very well be wrong about the virus amping up again in the late fall or winter.

So many things to comment on:

1) If some parts of The US had gone all herd community, the hospitals would never have kept up with the demand. Not enough resources, people and equipment wise.
                              2) I am sure that back then, you would not have seen everyone wear masks, not to mention, the experts did not know at the time.
                              3) So what if a 103 year old, or other elderly folks survived???? What does that even prove??
                              4) Sweden was seemingly wide open to herd immunity, and have not been able to master it, and have lost more lives per capita than similar countries, and suffered significant economic loss as well. They have done ok, but not the silver bullet approach. Then again, what works for them is reasonable consistency of message and process.
                              5) Fauci is not the only world wide expert who says the same thing. There are plenty of medical experts, saying the same thing. Where I live, with zero cases in July, we've been forewarned of a possible 2nd wave along with flu season, and we will be respectful of that possibility. In fact, a 2nd wave and a bad flu season may be worse than what's been experienced.
                              6) You can not compare this covid with others.

There a lot of folks who just want to keep on fighting this thing, through faulty information, and personal rights.
                              Last edited by CanDB; 07-12-2020, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                                The economy never should have been shut down.

They won't wear masks now...What makes you think they would have then if the economy hadn't been shut down... And letting the herd get sick is fine, but that's part of why we're shutting things down and distancing, to let the herd get sick slowly over time.

You get too many sick all at once, you overload the system and a hell of a lot more people die due to lack of care and beds. It's about limiting the overall death toll... People are going to get sick with this, not every needs to die from it if we can manage it well and keep cases to as much of a minimum as possible.
                                Last edited by Freyaka; 07-12-2020, 10:18 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X