Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Peerless View Post
    Perspective? Says the guy who is here on record writing:

I'm glad that the infection rate is so low in your area. For many people elsewhere, they're not as lucky with those similar reports. But - bronx.... Does wearing a mask REALLY make you life worse?

Forget the social distancing, the working from home, etc - does wearing a mask.... a mask, really make your life that much worse?

I mean, from what I read - you don't seem to think you NEED a mask because the "chance" of you getting infected with the virus is so low, as the infection rate in the UK is low. But why wouldn't you want to wear it to make your chances even lower? Is the burden of a simple face mask that huge of an obstacle in your life?
    It sort of reminds me of that saying, "you only live once", which I agree with in certain types of activity. But the difference here is that, does that mean you will risk living once, but in an abbreviated manner, because you thought the risk was worth it? Even worse, you may be be shortening the one life of others.

People have used the seatbelt analogy, but I think restricting smoking is a very similar, and reasonable expectation. Think of that one life of others.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peerless View Post
      Perspective? Says the guy who is here on record writing:

I'm glad that the infection rate is so low in your area. For many people elsewhere, they're not as lucky with those similar reports. But - bronx.... Does wearing a mask REALLY make you life worse?

Forget the social distancing, the working from home, etc - does wearing a mask.... a mask, really make your life that much worse?

I mean, from what I read - you don't seem to think you NEED a mask because the "chance" of you getting infected with the virus is so low, as the infection rate in the UK is low. But why wouldn't you want to wear it to make your chances even lower? Is the burden of a simple face mask that huge of an obstacle in your life?
      I stick by that statement. Expecting the vast majority to change their life for a minority who have a personal responsibility to protect themselves is wrong IMO. If I was vulnerable it would be upon me to protect myself, I would not expect others to inject more hassle into their lifes for me.

I, and many others, hate the mask. When it is hot like it was today it feels uncomfortable when you breathe and is just stupid. I can put up with it to pop in the shops for 10 minutes but many people have said that until this is removed they will online shop, and its the people who enjoy spending 3/4/5 hours browsing around shopping outlets who spend money. The vast majority will not do that now because there is no enjoyment with that thing covering half your face.

Everything I say is from the perspective of being here in the UK. I can't comment on the numbers or precautions neccessary in the states because I don't know much about it. I can only comment on life over here. Many people think it is ridiculous that we didn't bother with masks during the peak in April and May and now the numbers are ridiculously low these measures are brought in which makes life worse for people. There is a lot of resentment over here, we never took to wearing masks and it will be interesting to see how the businesses can overcome the loss of custom this new rule will bring.

Comment

• Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
        I stick by that statement. Expecting the vast majority to change their life for a minority who have a personal responsibility to protect themselves is wrong IMO. If I was vulnerable it would be upon me to protect myself, I would not expect others to inject more hassle into their lifes for me.
        I'll stick by my statement - that's pretty damn selfish. Take my father - who has stage IV lung cancer. Are you trying to tell me that since he's in the minority and more at risk (especially compared to you) - that him walking into a clinic or a hospital (with a mask), he should be responsible solely on his own. But then someone like you (who I assume is healthy) shouldn't have to help others by being cautious or as in wearing a mask because it's too damn hot and annoying?

C'mon... do you not see how that reads and sounds?

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
        I, and many others, hate the mask. When it is hot like it was today it feels uncomfortable when you breathe and is just stupid. I can put up with it to pop in the shops for 10 minutes but many people have said that until this is removed they will online shop, and its the people who enjoy spending 3/4/5 hours browsing around shopping outlets who spend money. The vast majority will not do that now because there is no enjoyment with that thing covering half your face.

Everything I say is from the perspective of being here in the UK. I can't comment on the numbers or precautions neccessary in the states because I don't know much about it. I can only comment on life over here. Many people think it is ridiculous that we didn't bother with masks during the peak in April and May and now the numbers are ridiculously low these measures are brought in which makes life worse for people. There is a lot of resentment over here, we never took to wearing masks and it will be interesting to see how the businesses can overcome the loss of custom this new rule will bring.
        Oh boo hoo. "Life his worse, life is hard". Woe is me. "People can't shop for hours after hours to spend their money because they need to wear a mask and be socially distant..." Whine, whine. Cry cry. "Cue sad Violin music."

Get out of here with that...
        Last edited by Peerless; 07-17-2020, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• https://m.facebook.com/home.php?_rdr...r&__tn__=EHH-R

This is pretty much how I feel about the mask mandates. Imo, again....no need to wear one if you're healthy. If you are sick you should be the one wearing one. And, if masks really work and they stop the spread and you are wearing one, why do I have to wear one? If your mask stops the virus, great!! It'll also stop my healthy breathing

Comment

• Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
            https://m.facebook.com/home.php?_rdr...r&__tn__=EHH-R

This is pretty much how I feel about the mask mandates. Imo, again....no need to wear one if you're healthy. If you are sick you should be the one wearing one. And, if masks really work and they stop the spread and you are wearing one, why do I have to wear one? If your mask stops the virus, great!! It'll also stop my healthy breathing
            Oh that's right...I don't know that I'm healthy 🙄
            Last edited by JvDub95; 07-17-2020, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
              It sort of reminds me of that saying, "you only live once", which I agree with in certain types of activity. But the difference here is that, does that mean you will risk living once, but in an abbreviated manner, because you thought the risk was worth it? Even worse, you may be be shortening the one life of others.

People have used the seatbelt analogy, but I think restricting smoking is a very similar, and reasonable expectation. Think of that one life of others.
              Yeah. I find it hard to hear a police officer run down the procedure for my 60$ state donation, when a bunch of guys on Harleys are rolling by. Smoking's the better analogy for me. Main difference being that people aren't addicted to not wearing masks. There's just no reason not to do it.

Comment

• I live in a state that requires us to wear them. At work I have to wear a mask. It's life.

Anecdotally, a close friend is a type-1diabetic, has stage 4 lymphoma, and he thinks requiring everybody to wear a mask is excessive.

Also of interest, here in CA cases are rising though we've had masks mandated for months.

Weird times.

Comment

• Mandating something in a metropolitan area is different than mandating something in small town Iowa. I live in a small town, we have had 1 death so far and that man was 85 years old with obese issues. 300 total cases in the county I live in and 3 total deaths since February. Now, that's 3 too many but It makes zero sense for me to be treated the same as a person who lives in a city 100x the size.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                    I live in a state that requires us to wear them. At work I have to wear a mask. It's life.

Anecdotally, a close friend is a type-1diabetic, has stage 4 lymphoma, and he thinks requiring everybody to wear a mask is excessive.

Also of interest, here in CA cases are rising though we've had masks mandated for months.

Weird times.
                    LA County is extremely good in the mask wearing and social distancing....yet infections are surging.

My only point is we may not want to put all of our eggs in the Mask Basket. It may have some effect but it is not going to stop this as we keep getting told. I am one of those who do not like a mask but I wear it as required just to keep the drama away.
                    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

https://m.facebook.com/home.php?_rdr...r&__tn__=EHH-R

Again....there are many folks who are asymptomatic, who could be like you, healthy. But, because they carry the virus, they are a danger to others. Not sure how that doesn't resonate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                        LA County is extremely good in the mask wearing and social distancing....yet infections are surging.

My only point is we may not want to put all of our eggs in the Mask Basket. It may have some effect but it is not going to stop this as we keep getting told. I am one of those who do not like a mask but I wear it as required just to keep the drama away.
                        I think we are talking probabilities, and a lot of this covid situation is based on such odds. If you wear a mask, keep your distance, wash your hands, use sanitizer, be careful how you communicate when near people (even if a reasonable distance away), be careful how often you are in groups of people and inside vs out.....the package deal is probably much safer than if you just do one of the above. And every time you reduce the odds, you improve your own odds.

This probabilities carries over to the reason we do not want big spikes in cases, because the odds are good that our medical staff can handle a limited number of hospitalizations, but as the cases surge, some locales may not be able to withstand the overload of patients, especially those who need ventilators and other important equipment.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                          Again....there are many folks who are asymptomatic, who could be like you, healthy. But, because they carry the virus, they are a danger to others. Not sure how that doesn't resonate.
                          So, I should test once a week until/if I eventually get it? Maybe then I'll know for a fact that I have it? I know that's snarky and I apologise for it but to me that's how I feel. I know I'm healthy, I think there are millions of people who are healthy and are just as frustrated as I am because they are being told "you don't know if you're sick"!!

It's like you telling me you saw something crazy and there are multiple people telling you you don't know what you saw because it wasn't true. You know what you saw and it's frustrating to you because you are sure of yourself.

Comment

I live in a state that requires us to wear them. At work I have to wear a mask. It's life.

Weird times.
                            If everyone wore a mask, I would wonder about that. But I have heard about crowded beaches and parties where a lot of the people were not wearing masks. Just because it's mandated doesn't mean that everyone wore one.

Prayers for your friend. Hard thing to go through.
                            Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Weird times.
                              Cases are rising in*CA? With mandated mask policies in effect for months?

Hmmmm........I wonder if there was some sort of event that happened between then and now, where - oh wait ~

To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

So, I should test once a week until/if I eventually get it? Maybe then I'll know for a fact that I have it? I know that's snarky and I apologise for it but to me that's how I feel. I know I'm healthy, I think there are millions of people who are healthy and are just as frustrated as I am because they are being told "you don't know if you're sick"!!

It's like you telling me you saw something crazy and there are multiple people telling you you don't know what you saw because it wasn't true. You know what you saw and it's frustrating to you because you are sure of yourself.
                                Listen pal, I do not mean to carry on too long about this, but asymptomatic means you don't know you have the virus. You may feel great, but you can still be a carrier. And maybe worse, those who feel healthy are less likely to take the same precautions as a person with the virus who feels sick. And for me, that means folks can be fooled in the process, and maybe feel safer around asymptomatic carriers.

Comment

Working...
                                X