Corona virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Peerless View Post
    Yeah that was pretty ridiculous. People felt like they could gain a sense of "control" of something if they stocked up on toilet papers, lysol, clorox, etc.
    Which is PRECISELY why in the beginning the recommendation was you don't need a mask.

Because they didn't want the same clowns that overstocked on TP doing the same on masks and having none left for the essential people that needed it most...
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah that was pretty ridiculous. People felt like they could gain a sense of "control" of something if they stocked up on toilet papers, lysol, clorox, etc.
      Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
      Which is PRECISELY why in the beginning the recommendation was you don't need a mask.

Because they didn't want the same clowns that overstocked on TP doing the same on masks and having none left for the essential people that needed it most...
      The other one was hand sanitizer. We only could find a small bottle initially. Turns out, we used it as required and lasted until supplies became more prevalent. I may not use a lot at a time, but we could have gone a year or more with what other people were buying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post

Right on, right on.

Comment

Right on, right on.
          Did you see the article I posted on the previous page?
          sigpic
          Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• You can google "mutation D614G" and see they been talking about the mutated version of Covid19 being more easy to spread since early June.

Some links for convenience. Appears they not ready to make any for sure conclusions at this time and are still gathering data.

https://www.scripps.edu/news-and-eve...e-protein.html

https://www.cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(20)30817-5.pdf
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
              Did you see the article I posted on the previous page?
              Yeah I did! Very interesting read, and a very reliable drug to help control/manage symptoms until a vaccine arises.

Comment

• I am starting to record data every month to compare the changes.

June 25
                Cases in US - 2,427,448
                Deaths in US - 123,751
                Total Death Rate - 5.10%

July 23
                Cases in US - 4,039,967
                Deaths in US - 145,384
                Total Death Rate - 3.60%

So in those weeks (almost a month)
                Cases - 1,611,519
                Deaths - 21,633
                Death Rate - 1.34%
                Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                  I am starting to record data every month to compare the changes.

June 25
                  Cases in US - 2,427,448
                  Deaths in US - 123,751
                  Total Death Rate - 5.10%

July 23
                  Cases in US - 4,039,967
                  Deaths in US - 145,384
                  Total Death Rate - 3.60%

So in those weeks (almost a month)
                  Cases - 1,611,519
                  Deaths - 21,633
                  Death Rate - 1.34%
                  I believe the death rate will decline if the the number of cases goes up significantly. The more you test, the more you will find. Whereas in the earlier weeks/months, there was substantially less testing. Many were not tested, rather headed straight for the hospital. In essence, a high number of the positive cases were not yet known, but deaths were clearly a documented stat.

I theorized that in the early days, whatever the tested cases was reported, the odds it was really about 10 times higher. Nowadays, I believe the real number of positives is higher than the recorded number, but a much smaller multiplier than in the first months.

And I also suspect that the rise in younger folks with positive cases is going to bring down the death rate, given even though they seem to be catching it more, they are less likely to die from it. Hopefully they will not spread it to those who are more vulnerable.

As an aside....another stat I really believe is important is "long term damage" as a result of the virus. Deaths are clearly an awful result, as is being placed in Intensive Care. But if I tested positive, survived, BUT ended up with some nasty longer term issue, that would be a very bad and lasting impact on my life.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                    I believe the death rate will decline if the the number of cases goes up significantly. The more you test, the more you will find. Whereas in the earlier weeks/months, there was substantially less testing. Many were not tested, rather headed straight for the hospital. In essence, a high number of the positive cases were not yet known, but deaths were clearly a documented stat.

I theorized that in the early days, whatever the tested cases was reported, the odds it was really about 10 times higher. Nowadays, I believe the real number of positives is higher than the recorded number, but a much smaller multiplier than in the first months.

And I also suspect that the rise in younger folks with positive cases is going to bring down the death rate, given even though they seem to be catching it more, they are less likely to die from it. Hopefully they will not spread it to those who are more vulnerable.

As an aside....another stat I really believe is important is "long term damage" as a result of the virus. Deaths are clearly an awful result, as is being placed in Intensive Care. But if I tested positive, survived, BUT ended up with some nasty longer term issue, that would be a very bad and lasting impact on my life.
                    You make some really good points.

I wish I had started to do this from the get go because I think the death rates from when only the sickest were getting tested in March compared to the death rates where everyone was getting tested in May would be interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                      The other one was hand sanitizer. We only could find a small bottle initially. Turns out, we used it as required and lasted until supplies became more prevalent. I may not use a lot at a time, but we could have gone a year or more with what other people were buying.
                      I couldn't find a bottle of rubbing alcohol for 5 weeks
                      Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                        You make some really good points.

I wish I had started to do this from the get go because I think the death rates from when only the sickest were getting tested in March compared to the death rates where everyone was getting tested in May would be interesting.
                        I actually started some stats at the beginning, though it was not isolated to one country. It was partly out of fear...fear of how bad this thing was becoming, and hope...that the worst was short lived. But I stopped as time went on, given there were more reports available.

And thx!

Comment

• I'm in the Bronx in NYC. In the beginning for the first couple months, there were signs that read "2 per customer" for water. We had toilet paper, but the ultra and I mean ULTRA thin kind. Sure it was 20 rolls a pack and I still have some from the stash I brought back in May, but man this thing feels like it owes me a dinner and a bottle of wine the way it treated me.

As for water & Lysol, I found a couple of small stores that carried them and had no limit. I was able to buy a 5-6 weeks supply for each "run".

Sanitizer? Forget it. I used every ounce of the two bottles I had left.

All it takes is one person to start panic buying and then the craze spreads... like a virus.

Comment

• Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
                            I'm in the Bronx in NYC. In the beginning for the first couple months, there were signs that read "2 per customer" for water. We had toilet paper, but the ultra and I mean ULTRA thin kind. Sure it was 20 rolls a pack and I still have some from the stash I brought back in May, but man this thing feels like it owes me a dinner and a bottle of wine the way it treated me.

As for water & Lysol, I found a couple of small stores that carried them and had no limit. I was able to buy a 5-6 weeks supply for each "run".

Sanitizer? Forget it. I used every ounce of the two bottles I had left.

All it takes is one person to start panic buying and then the craze spreads... like a virus.
                            So true. You see the same behaviour in the stock market, when the panic sets in. It's like a mindless, freaked out entity, that just can't help itself. But the problem is that so many follow. I understand being defensive and cautious (or sometimes the opposite, greedy), but it's a psyche of humans at times that is hard to accept, and even worse, almost impossible to reason with.

Comment

• Based on the opening pitch, Dr. Fauci is a much better doctor than a pitcher!

Comment

• Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                                I couldn't find a bottle of rubbing alcohol for 5 weeks
                                We are just recently starting to get rubbing alcohol in stores. The big drug stores are still out most of the time and limit 1 per person when they have them.

Oddly 7-11 is the most reliable place to get it now a days.

Comment

Working...
                                X