Corona virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Peanut View Post
    This is like the third warning in one day. Hope tomorrow is better.

I read the transcript. I'm still trying to understand how a child with the Virus cannot infect adults. I need to do a search on that.
    I don't think you can find a single case in the states (or maybe anywhere) where a child has transmitted the virus to an adult

Comment

• I can tell you one thing - I don't have children (yet), but if I did - there is no way I would feel comfortable sending them to school during this pandemic.

Florida Covid-19 cases in children: Hospitalizations among kids jump 23%

On July 16, the state had a total of 23,170 children ages 17 and under who had tested positive since the beginning of the pandemic, according to the Florida Department of Health. By July 24, that number jumped to 31,150.

That's a 34% increase in new cases among children in eight days.

And more children in Florida are requiring hospitalization. As of July 16, 246 children had been hospitalized with coronavirus. By July 24, that number had jumped to 303.

That's a 23% increase in child Covid-19 hospitalizations in eight days.

During that same time period, the death toll among children in Florida went from 4 to 5.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peerless View Post
        I can tell you one thing - I don't have children (yet), but if I did - there is no way I would feel comfortable sending them to school during this pandemic.

Colorado had 2 kids die from COVID symptoms and have 5 more with WIS-C. Scary stuff. Unfortunately we are going to find out how this affects kids as we are sending them back to school.

Comment

• Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
          I don't think you can find a single case in the states (or maybe anywhere) where a child has transmitted the virus to an adult
          Children of humans are also human.

It seems rather obvious children can transmit a communicable illness to other humans, regardless of age.

There’s a reason grown men who haven’t had the mumps need to stay away from children who have the mumps. If that’s still a thing. I’m not aware of any cure for the mumps.
          You Mad Bro?

Comment

• I’m not an expert but until they know for sure that kids can’t spread it, they should treat them as if they do.
            I’ve read the studies that show kids only make up 2% of affected in the world but they don’t know if that’s because kids don’t show signs and are not tested.
            I have been guilty of jumping to conclusions from the many different reports that come out. At this point no reason to make a rush judgment.

So far the 20 countries in Asia and Europe that have open haven’t scene any major outbreaks from reopening the schools. That’s a good sign.

Sweden never closed their schools, and their cases and deaths have plunged.

Not all bad stuff going on some news that maybe their is a light at the end of this tunnel.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Peerless View Post
              I can tell you one thing - I don't have children (yet), but if I did - there is no way I would feel comfortable sending them to school during this pandemic.

We are terrified of sending our son back to daycare. We have been fortunate enough to work from home this whole time, but I have to start back full time next week, My wife doesn't yet, and our bosses are both very flexible and will work with us to keep him home as long as possible. But yea its getting closer to the time we will and I do not want to send him to day care if i dont have to right now, especially where we live in that most people here think its a hoax.
              sigpic
              BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Comment

• Dr. Fauci says all the ‘valid’ scientific data shows hydroxychloroquine isn’t effective in treating coronavirus.

So either:

A) HCQ doesn't work against Covid-19 as shown by 5 published RCTs and 2 unpublished RCTs.

or

B) HCQ is incredibly efficacious against Covid, a "cure" so to speak. The usage of HCQ is being suppressed by a vast international cabal consisting of thousands of scientists, doctors, government health agencies worldwide costing hundreds of thousands of lives...

I don't know both options seem pretty plausible. One option definitely doesn't seem as crazy as "Demon semen". I'll never understand the mind of conspiracy theorists, I can't ignore data and reality to follow some weird narrative that takes multiple preternatural leaps of faith to seem even remotely possible.

List of HCQ RCTs, that I'm aware of:

1. Hydroxychloroquine with or without Azithromycin in Mild-to-Moderate Covid-19

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2019014

Among patients hospitalized with mild-to-moderate Covid-19, the use of hydroxychloroquine, alone or with azithromycin**, did not improve** clinical status at 15 days as compared with standard care.

2. A Randomized Trial of Hydroxychloroquine as Postexposure Prophylaxis for Covid-19

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2016638

After high-risk or moderate-risk exposure to Covid-19, hydroxychloroquine did not prevent illness compatible with Covid-19 or confirmed infection when used as postexposure prophylaxis within 4 days after exposure.

3. Hydroxychloroquine in patients with mainly mild to moderate coronavirus disease 2019: open label, randomised controlled trial

https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m1849

Administration of hydroxychloroquine did not result in a significantly higher probability of negative conversion than standard of care alone in patients admitted to hospital with mainly persistent mild to moderate covid-19. Adverse events were higher in hydroxychloroquine recipients than in non-recipients.

4. A Cluster-Randomized Trial of Hydroxychloroquine as Prevention of Covid-19 Transmission and Disease

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....20.20157651v1

There was no significant difference in the primary outcome of PCR-confirmed, symptomatic Covid-19 disease (6.2% usual care vs. 5.7% HCQ; risk ratio 0.89 [95% confidence interval 0.54-1.46]), nor evidence of beneficial effects on prevention of SARS-CoV-2 transmission (17.8% usual care vs. 18.7% HCQ).

5. Hydroxychloroquine for Early Treatment of Adults with Mild Covid-19: A Randomized-Controlled Trial

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article...9#.XxCYlMdGoJM

No significant differences were found in the mean reduction of viral load at day 3 (-1.41 vs. -1.41 Log10 copies/mL in the control and intervention arm, respectively; difference 0.01 [95% CI -0.28;0.29]) or at day 7 (-3.37 vs. -3.44; d –0.07 [-0.44;0.29]). This treatment regimen did not reduce risk of hospitalization (7.1%, control vs. 5.9%, intervention; RR 0.75 [0.32;1.77]) nor shortened the time to complete resolution of symptoms (12 days, control vs. 10 days, intervention; p = 0.38). No relevant treatment-related AEs were reported.

6. Hydroxychloroquine in Nonhospitalized Adults With Early COVID-19: A Randomized Trial

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-4207

Of 491 patients randomly assigned to a group, 423 contributed primary end point data. Of these, 341 (81%) had laboratory-confirmed infection with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) or epidemiologically linked exposure to a person with laboratory-confirmed infection; 56% (236 of 423) were enrolled within 1 day of symptoms starting. Change in symptom severity over 14 days did not differ between the hydroxychloroquine and placebo groups (difference in symptom severity: relative, 12%; absolute, −0.27 points [95% CI, −0.61 to 0.07 points]; P = 0.117). At 14 days, 24% (49 of 201) of participants receiving hydroxychloroquine had ongoing symptoms compared with 30% (59 of 194) receiving placebo (P = 0.21). Medication adverse effects occurred in 43% (92 of 212) of participants receiving hydroxychloroquine versus 22% (46 of 211) receiving placebo (P < 0.001). With placebo, 10 hospitalizations occurred (2 non–COVID-19–related), including 1 hospitalized death. With hydroxychloroquine, 4 hospitalizations occurred plus 1 nonhospitalized death (P = 0.29).

7. Effect of Hydroxychloroquine in Hospitalized Patients with COVID-19: Preliminary results from a multi-centre, randomized, controlled trial.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....15.20151852v1

Conclusions: In patients hospitalized with COVID-19, hydroxychloroquine was not associated with reductions in 28-day mortality but was associated with an increased length of hospital stay and increased risk of progressing to invasive mechanical ventilation or death.

RCTs almost perfectly control for variation between the tested groups. The only difference between the 2 groups in a good RCT is the treatment. Unlike observational studies that have unmeasured/unobserved confounding factors between the groups. It's why RCTs are the gold standard in research.
                Last edited by Peerless; 07-30-2020, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• I hate hearing bad stuff happening to kids... bleh, breaks my heart.

For some context though, US Census says the population of Florida under 18 is about 19.7% or 4,080,000 -ish. If 31,000+ kids tested positive, less than 1% of juveniles in the state.

As of July 22: 0-4 years, 6,324 cases - 0 deaths, 5-14 years, 14,106 cases - 3 deaths, 15-24 (includes young adults not listed in story) 60,478 cases - 13 deaths. No indication of any underlying health issues.

Fact is, the flu much more dangerous to kids but it is still somewhat murky about kids and transmission of Covid to adults. Some evidence suggests kids are less likely to spread the virus, but to date, I have not seen anything other than anecdotal evidence, not any serious study - probably because this is still relatively new.

As an aside, I came across a communications group that did an international survey on perceptions, not sure how accurate or valid their findings are, but as widespread as Covid is I was surprised to see that people sense it is much more widespread than it actually it. Maybe we are feasting on too much news and that introduces bias in to what we believe to be rather than what is.

Even those level-headed Danes are off by a lot.

Comment

• As for kids and school.....it too will get dicey if flu season hits while the pandemic is still a factor. As parents, imagine how they will feel if their child/children get sick. Do they assume it's the flu? Young folks can get quite sick from the flu, so will parents just let it go as that and not covid-19? If our kids were young, we wouldn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                      I hate hearing bad stuff happening to kids... bleh, breaks my heart.

For some context though, US Census says the population of Florida under 18 is about 19.7% or 4,080,000 -ish. If 31,000+ kids tested positive, less than 1% of juveniles in the state.

As of July 22: 0-4 years, 6,324 cases - 0 deaths, 5-14 years, 14,106 cases - 3 deaths, 15-24 (includes young adults not listed in story) 60,478 cases - 13 deaths. No indication of any underlying health issues.

Fact is, the flu much more dangerous to kids but it is still somewhat murky about kids and transmission of Covid to adults. Some evidence suggests kids are less likely to spread the virus, but to date, I have not seen anything other than anecdotal evidence, not any serious study - probably because this is still relatively new.

As an aside, I came across a communications group that did an international survey on perceptions, not sure how accurate or valid their findings are, but as widespread as Covid is I was surprised to see that people sense it is much more widespread than it actually it. Maybe we are feasting on too much news and that introduces bias in to what we believe to be rather than what is.

Even those level-headed Danes are off by a lot.
                      Not surprised about perceptions. Sure it's partly due to the media, but if something I can't see can permanently damage or even kill me, I am probably going to perceive it to be worse than it is.

Regardless, it's a killer, and I treat every new day the same....be cautious. I believe it is wise to be quite concerned about it, for me, my family, friends and for anyone who has to suffer as a result of this nasty situation. I am probably being over cautious, but who knows, the next person i meet may get too close and be the carrier that changes my life.

Comment

• According to this 44 states and NYC have reported 76 child deaths from Covid19. 20 of them reported 0. Says from data available on 7/23

The age definition of child seems to change from state to state. The extreme high and low are listed below.

Alabama 0-24
                        Florida 0-14

NYC has 13, Arizona has 10. What I initially found odd was California reported 0 and I was sure I knew of one. Went and looked...apparently that death was taken off the list for reasons they can not provide due to patient privacy.
                        Last edited by Hadez; 07-29-2020, 06:52 PM.
                        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                          According to this 44 states and NYC have reported 76 child deaths from Covid19. 20 of them reported 0. Says from data available on 7/23

The age definition of child seems to change from state to state. The extreme high and low are listed below.

Alabama 0-24
                          Florida 0-14

NYC has 13, Arizona has 10. What I initially found odd was California reported 0 and I was sure I knew of one. Went and looked...apparently that death was taken off the list for reasons they can not provide due to patient privacy.
                          Interesting, but tragic. It would be also valuable IF we could find out how many youth have passed it on to others....any age.
                          Last edited by CanDB; 07-29-2020, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                            Interesting, but tragic. It would be also valuable IF we could find out how many youth have passed it on to others....any age.
                            They are having a lot of problems doing tracing in SoCal. Even offering to pay people who tested positive for a tracing interview
                            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• If you look up protests and Covid and you will find 20 articles saying little evidence of surge in cases!
                              If gathering by thousands in the streets and screaming doesn’t lead to more cases then I don’t see why we can’t have stadiums with players and fans.
                              Note: i don’t believe fans should be in stadiums, I just don’t see the difference.

We live in a time of misinformation, very sad!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

• “If you have goggles or an eye shield, you should use it,” Fauci,

Looks like we all better load up on goggles!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X