Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Thats a fair point.

People who are at-risk or vulnerable need to take extra precautions and the white house needs to put measures in place to protect these people, espeically elderly residential facilities.

The problem I and many others have is we think it is over the top for a majority of people who are not in the at-risk group. We get told over here that in the UK there are only 14 positive tests out of every 100,000 people, and then if you are positive there is over a 99% chance you will be fine.

How can I take it seriously when I see those numbers ? When I am far more likely to contract cancer (1 in 3 people), etc...............

Then we turn on the news and they blow it up so much you would think half the population are going to die once they head outside. I might come off as blase, I guess because I am, but its because of those numbers above, its just not worth me bringing hassle and fear into my life.
    I am not so sure that this is just about who we define as vulnerable. Truth is, there are those "more vulnerable" folks in general, but many folks who will pay for getting the virus, OR pass it on to others, who are not categorized as higher risk. Sure, if a person is vulnerable by definition as we think we know it, they should be more cautious. But many healthy folks have died and will die, and many healthy people will pass this on to others, who will also suffer or die.

I don't think this is a gated community story in totality. You can not assume you know who is vulnerable and keep them apart. And I too see it like Brent, folks are pretty sure of what this is all about until, sadly, they are struck with it, and with much more impact than they ever expected. I am sure they see things much different after the fact.

So again, fearful? - No. Respectful of its potential and for the health of others - Absolutely!
    Last edited by CanDB; 08-03-2020, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• When are people going to realize / understand that this nasty virus CAN / WILL / DOES effect people in unpredictable and different ways?

A 102 year old woman gets the virus and survives no problem. A 40 year old person with mild or no pre-existing issues gets it but recovers at home or in a hospital. A healthy 19 year old gets it and dies 5 days later. NOBODY KNOWS HOW IT WILL EFFECT ANY GIVEN PERSON!!!!

Young, old, sick, whatever. It's a total gamble to put yourself in harms way and believe it will pan out in a positive way because you believe you're 10 feet tall and bullet proof. Unbelievably naive and ignorant, IMO.
      Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• Adm. Brett Giroir, assistant secretary of health and human services, said on NBC News' "Meet the Press" that "from a public health standpoint, at first, hydroxychloroquine looked very promising" but at "this point in time, there's been five randomized control, placebo-controlled trials that do not show any benefit to hydroxychloroquine."

"So, at this point in time, we don't recommend that as a treatment. There's no evidence to show that it is," Giroir said.
        Hmmm. Interesting.

Comment

• The researchers found that although young children had a somewhat lower risk of infection than adults and were less likely to become ill, children age 14 and younger transmit the virus more efficiently to other children and adults than adults themselves. Their risk of transmitting Covid-19 was 22.4 percent—more than twice that of adults aged 30 to 49, whose rate of contagiousness was about 11 percent. “Although childhood contacts were less likely to become cases,” they wrote, “children were more likely to infect household members.”

The Trento study also found that its youngest participants were the most efficient transmitters of the disease, citing respiratory syncytial virus as an example of another infectious disease for which this has been the case. The younger the child, they noted, the higher the concentration of SARS-CoV-2 in their nasal passages—an observation consistent with the Chicago study.

Not good news for teachers and students, or anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peerless View Post
            Not good news for teachers and students, or anyone.
            This aligns with some concerning times ahead. People mention young folks a lot, as in they are hardly impacted by the virus. Yet, as you show (and as I have heard of late) they are very efficient carriers. And as is hardly mentioned, teachers are not all young. Their chances of being infected are going to be significant if close to all these young people, as will all those families who have children (and on and on). And as I keep thinking, if and when flu season hits, will parents / teachers and everyone around them know the difference?

I suspect testing will get seriously backlogged if the pandemic is still in force. And I believe many will not get tested, thinking it is the flu.

Comment

• The article is about someone who was fired after they quarantined themselves after a positive test. If workers are getting treated like this I wonder how many are going to work after a positive test for fear of being fired.

https://news.yahoo.com/sickened-covi...090000412.html

Meanwhile, hundreds of U.S. businesses have been cited for illegally denying paid leave to workers during the pandemic, according to documents obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request. As of June 12, nearly 700 companies had violated the law's paid-leave provisions and owed back wages to hundreds of employees, according to Labor Department records. Violators include six McDonald's franchises and the franchise owners of a Comfort Suites, Courtyard by Marriott and Red Roof Inn.

In all, the businesses owe $690,000 in unpaid wages to 527 employees, who are not identified in the documents. Most of the workers are low-wage earners in the construction, hotel and food industries. It's likely many more companies have broken the law because workers such as Joseph aren't aware of their rights and therefore haven't filed complaints.
              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                Hmmm. Interesting.
                So now that even the white house has stopped parroting this nonsense, are we going to finally hit the point where we can quit acting like it's some freaking miracle drug and trust science or is there still some conspiracy theory to follow?
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                  So now that even the white house has stopped parroting this nonsense, are we going to finally hit the point where we can quit acting like it's some freaking miracle drug and trust science or is there still some conspiracy theory to follow?
                  Doubt it.

"Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• My dad is in the hospital. His white blood count is low, as is his immune system. They admitted him because his oxygen levels were low. This is not entirely surprising because he has lymphoma and type 2 diabetes. I’m praying he doesn’t have to stay long. They’re giving him antibiotics, and plasma from covid survivors.
                    sigpic
                    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                      My dad is in the hospital. His white blood count is low, as is his immune system. They admitted him because his oxygen levels were low. This is not entirely surprising because he has lymphoma and type 2 diabetes. I’m praying he doesn’t have to stay long. They’re giving him antibiotics, and plasma from covid survivors.
                      Send good thoughts. I'm sending good thoughts to your Dad. Everyone send good thoughts. I'm sure the Medical professionals will do everything they can. Let's send them good thoughts, too. :thumb:
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

My dad is in the hospital. His white blood count is low, as is his immune system. They admitted him because his oxygen levels were low. This is not entirely surprising because he has lymphoma and type 2 diabetes. I’m praying he doesn’t have to stay long. They’re giving him antibiotics, and plasma from covid survivors.
                        Prayers for you dad.
                        sigpic
                        Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
                        Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                        Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                        Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

Comment

I pray he continues on to and through recovery.

How is your mother doing?

Comment

Prayers for you all. Hugs.
                            Administrator
                            sigpic

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer - Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                              I pray he continues on to and through recovery.

How is your mother doing?
                              My stepmom is strong, but probably weary. She is unfortunately accustomed to my dad having health issues. In the last 28 years hes had 1 heart attack, 1 stroke, diverticulitis, several bouts with kidney stones, 2 knee replacements, cataracts, type 2 diabetes, and 2 bouts with lymphoma. Inspite of it all he remains kind, generous and without sign of complaint, and until the last 2 years fairly active. I aspire to be like my dad, less the health issues of course.
                              sigpic
                              Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                                My take on things...

Some folks gather info, data, facts in order to form their opinion.....others gather info to support the opinion they already have.

As for conspiracy theorists, they remind me of creative painters who make something out of nothing. Except that the painters make it stick.
                                Last edited by CanDB; 08-04-2020, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X