No announcement yet.

Corona virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In terms of states, California has the most positive tests in the USA and is kind of interesting to look at the data. According to Sen Scott Jensen (ref USA Today) California will only list laboratory confirmed cases unlike other states (he names New York) which will list presumed cases as was allowed at the time of the article. Not sure if that ever stopped.

California data positive tests 7-day average are now 6.4% of people tested....it was over 8% a month ago.

Something I really find interesting...

Positive cases
    Ages 18-34 = ~35%
    Ages 35-49 = ~25%
    Ages 50-59 = ~15%

Deaths
    Ages 80+ = 40+%
    Ages 70-79 = ~22%
    Ages 60-69 = ~17%
    Ages 50-59 = ~10%

Looking at the other categories I may have understated the numbers as it seems the other categories are under 10%.

41% of the deaths, 4,745....have come from nursing homes.
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
      I would like to see a report about that, we have heard nothing about it.

We are at a stupidly low rate of 14 positive tests per 100,000 people so life is, and rightly so, going on as normal for the vast majority of people. We have had a week of high temperatures and you should see how many people have flocked to all the hotspots. People are just living their life.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...udents-moving/

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/n-c...ents/19248111/
      Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Comment

• US FDA announces emergency authorization for convalescent plasma to treat Covid-19

Interesting "amazing" emergency announcement on something that has been used for months now. The Mayo Clinic has run an "expanded access program" for convalescent plasma since March, and more than 70,000 people have received the treatment.

I think some people are going to think this is some groundbreaking "cure". In reality, it's a treatment that has been used before which as shown some positive results. Back to the study, the Mayo Clinic research backing this showed seven-day mortality rate was 8.7% in patients transfused within 3 days of COVID-19 diagnosis but 11.9% in patients transfused 4 or more days after diagnosis. So it's not just the plasma transfusion itself, but the speed in which one receives it.

Adding to this from OTHER FDA news - the FDA revokes emergency use of malaria drug promoted as coronavirus cure.

So can we finally put an end to that discussion??
        Last edited by Peerless; 08-24-2020, 06:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peerless View Post
          US FDA announces emergency authorization for convalescent plasma to treat Covid-19

Interesting "amazing" emergency announcement on something that has been used for months now. The Mayo Clinic has run an "expanded access program" for convalescent plasma since March, and more than 70,000 people have received the treatment.

I think some people are going to think this is some groundbreaking "cure". In reality, it's a treatment that has been used before which as shown some positive results. Back to the study, the Mayo Clinic research backing this showed seven-day mortality rate was 8.7% in patients transfused within 3 days of COVID-19 diagnosis but 11.9% in patients transfused 4 or more days after diagnosis. So it's not just the plasma transfusion itself, but the speed in which one receives it.

Adding to this from OTHER FDA news - the FDA revokes emergency use of malaria drug promoted as coronavirus cure.

Following your link it says doctors can still prescribe it so what are you trying to say here?

In revoking emergency status for the drugs, the FDA cited a growing pool of evidence that showed potential health risks for Covid-19 patients. Doctors can still prescribe them as alternate medicines to patients under the updated guidelines.

Hydroxychlrooquine may cause nerve damage, heart rhythm problems and low blood pressure.
          Doctors can still prescribe it...which is how it should be. People should not be taking stuff because the POTUS said something or because people on the internet said something. People should be taking drugs because their doctor did an individual evaluation on their health and whatever condition they have. After this evaluation the doctor decides what treatment was best for them.
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

US FDA announces emergency authorization for convalescent plasma to treat Covid-19

The plasma transfusion likely saved my dad’s life, and it was given to him weeks after initial diagnosis.
            sigpic
            Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post
              Following your link it says doctors can still prescribe it so what are you trying to say here?

Doctors can still prescribe it...which is how it should be. People should not be taking stuff because the POTUS said something or because people on the internet said something. People should be taking drugs because their doctor did an individual evaluation on their health and whatever condition they have. After this evaluation the doctor decides what treatment was best for them.
              I mean - it is what I posted (and have posted before).

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                The plasma transfusion likely saved my dad’s life, and it was given to him weeks after initial diagnosis.
                That's super good news!

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                  Glad to hear it worked!

Couple interesting posts in the general part of the forums about is this legit. I remember seeing it in the news months ago and watching a guy in the field talk about its possible applications in March.

Comment

That's super good news!
                    Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                    Glad to hear it worked!

Couple interesting posts in the general part of the forums about is this legit. I remember seeing it in the news months ago and watching a guy in the field talk about its possible applications in March.
                    My dad has actually been hospitalized twice since he came down with it in the second week of July. I didn’t mention the last visit here because it was a little more distressing. He was admitted about a week ago with a fever of 104.4. Once again the infusion brought his fever down. He’s been out for 4 days now and is still doing good. I really hope their follow care with him is better this time and not just “let’s see what happens”.
                    sigpic
                    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• I think that the next few months will be telling as to the direction most countries are going with this pandemic. September will be crucial in terms of school at all levels, and the last of the summer holidays. Then comes fall and early winter, which may present issues if we have a bout with the flu, which complicates how we deal with a covid/flu combined environment, and potentially tax our medical sites/resourcing. If the flu has a weaker year, we may be sacrificed some of this challenge.

And hopefully, some time between now and the new year, there is significant gains in the areas of a vaccine and a treatment. Hope is a very powerful thing, and with advancement of such medical products, the light will get that much brighter.

Comment

• https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybe.../#7d11dc9a2915

Color me shocked.

Comment

• Maybe someone can find a flaw in my numbers as I found something odd. Was reading an article about how Sweden is supposed to have a really high death rate due to not even having a lock down. Article

So I have Sweden population at 10 mil (10,109,031). I have their reported Covid19 deaths as of today as 5814. That is a death rate per population of 0.058%.

I have New York at a population of 19 mil (19,453,561). I have their reported Covid19 deaths as of today at 32,489. That is a death rate per population of 0.167%.

The US has a whole has a death rate per population of 0.054%

Make me wonder about New Yorks numbers since a Senator claimed they were listing all presumed cases and not just laboratory confirmed cases like other states. They have a death rate 3 times that of Sweden who never did a lock down,.
                          Last edited by Hadez; 08-25-2020, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                            Interesting. I expected a higher rate from the news. 0.015% is really low and, I think, is less than the current rate of infection (Rt) numbers https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-us-by-state/. Maybe that indicates it's trending in the right direction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                              Odds are the numbers are higher, perhaps much higher. It seems unimaginable that this analysis include much more than a slice of what occurred.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                                Odds are the numbers are higher, perhaps much higher. It seems unimaginable that this analysis include much more than a slice of what occurred.
                                But as of yesterday the the CDC no longer recommends 14 day quarantines for travelers or asymptomatic testing. It seems reasonable to think the CDC, if they believed Sturges to be a massive source for spread, would not be relaxing their recommendations within the 2-week window of the potential onset of illness and communicability.

Maybe the numbers will grow, but the 2-week window has already started to close (Aug 7 - 16).

Comment

Working...
                                X