No announcement yet.

Corona virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado schools and Universities opened up, so obviously our numbers went up. CU went remote already.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peanut View Post
      I was just thinking about asking the same thing.

Doing good, thanks. Has work settled down for you?
      Work has settled down which is nice. But with UW opening up, of course we had a huge surge in cases in the state (which I'm not surprised about).

Oh well. Wear a mask, wash your hands, and try and distance yourself from others. Life goes on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peerless View Post
        Work has settled down which is nice. But with UW opening up, of course we had a huge surge in cases in the state (which I'm not surprised about).

Oh well. Wear a mask, wash your hands, and try and distance yourself from others. Life goes on.
        Wash, rinse, repeat. We should have this down by now.

Comment

• With the annual potential for the flu, the phrase I read is "twindemic".....but not to be taken lightly.

We've discussed in the past, that because of age and such, we will be getting a flu shot early. I know it's not the be all end all, but we want to minimize our chances for either to infect us. For me, it's about increasing probabilities of success, by doing all the recommended covid steps (masks, social distancing, wash hands) and gaining any flu related advantage possible, even if it's just a smallish %.

Just don't want to be wondering what is causing what, if at all possible. It may tax the medical community to be testing a big increase of folks.
          Last edited by CanDB; 09-25-2020, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
            Colorado schools and Universities opened up, so obviously our numbers went up. CU went remote already.
            My wife works from home and my 3 kids do school on line. I’m glad I can go to the office. There’s no way our wifi could handle me there too.
            sigpic
            Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
              With the annual potential for the flu, the phrase I read is "twindemic".....but not to be taken lightly.

We've discussed in the past, that because of age and such, we will be getting a flu shot early. I know it's not the be all end all, but we want to minimize our chances for either to infect us. For me, it's about increasing probabilities of success, by doing all the recommended covid steps (masks, social distancing, wash hands) and gaining any flu related advantage possible, even if it's just a smallish %.

Just don't want to be wondering what is causing what, if at all possible. It may tax the medical community to be testing a big increase of folks.
              The flu season in Australia was actually much less severe this year because of the guidelines put in place. The "twindemic" phrase is stupid, and a creation of the media to sell fear. The seasonal flu isn't considered a pandemic.

Moreover the Covid cases right now in Canada are skewing heavily towards younger, healthier people getting it, which is why the hospitalizations, ICU cases and deaths haven't increased in the same way the case numbers have. I found out some interesting information on the Manitoba numbers, the numbers this week were almost all from young millennials getting and spreading Covid at the club. One person infected 36 others at the club.

As long as you're not going to clubs and keeping the other precautions, you'll probably be fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                The flu season in Australia was actually much less severe this year because of the guidelines put in place. The "twindemic" phrase is stupid, and a creation of the media to sell fear. The seasonal flu isn't considered a pandemic. I don't need the media to make me concerned about a topic I can fully grasp. It was easier in non flu season to determine the likelihood of a covid infection.

Moreover the Covid cases right now in Canada are skewing heavily towards younger, healthier people getting it, which is why the hospitalizations, ICU cases and deaths haven't increased in the same way the case numbers have. I found out some interesting information on the Manitoba numbers, the numbers this week were almost all from young millennials getting and spreading Covid at the club. One person infected 36 others at the club.

As long as you're not going to clubs and keeping the other precautions, you'll probably be fine.
                First, the term means little in itself, but the concept of dealing with a pandemic, which appears to be spiking in various parts of the world, and having the threat of overlapping flu/colds, makes me concerned. So I will do my due diligence.

And as I live in Manitoba, I am not pleased, nor are the people who I know that actually live here, that the numbers are considerably higher. Rules are going to change in terms of how we manage the pandemic. Whether it be younger folks or not, Winnipeg had 0 cases for a good chunk of a month (in July) and now we have hit 44 in one day. Try telling the folks that live here that it's easy to understand.

Further, if we are spiking, and I think Alberta is still vulnerable (you tell me, you live there), and places like The UK and France are also spiking, I think folks need to take this as seriously as ever. Whether young or not, carriers cause infection to those around them, and the virus could care less how old those folks are.
                Last edited by CanDB; 09-25-2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• Further to....we were going to have Thanksgiving here, for 8 of us, but have just decided as a group to cancel or postpone. As we speak. That's what's going in The Peg. And I really trust my family members.

Comment

The flu season in Australia was actually much less severe this year because of the guidelines put in place. The "twindemic" phrase is stupid, and a creation of the media to sell fear. The seasonal flu isn't considered a pandemic.

Yup.. and yes it now the younger people saying “screw this” and going out,, people are burned out..

Difference now is we know a lot more...so no need to panic again and order lock downs...

BC has already dealt with bars and put huge restrictions on them...not the bar owners are listening,, but the fines are a lot of incentive..
                    sigpic

Comment

First, the term means little in itself, but the concept of dealing with a pandemic, which appears to be spiking in various parts of the world, and having the threat of overlapping flu/colds, makes me concerned. So I will do my due diligence.

And as I live in Manitoba, I am not pleased, nor are the people who I know that actually live here, that the numbers are considerably higher. Rules are going to change in terms of how we manage the pandemic. Whether it be younger folks or not, Winnipeg had 0 cases for a good chunk of a month (in July) and now we have hit 44 in one day. Try telling the folks that live here that it's easy to understand.

Further, if we are spiking, and I think Alberta is still vulnerable (you tell me, you live there), and places like The UK and France are also spiking, I think folks need to take this as seriously as ever. Whether young or not, carriers cause infection to those around them, and the virus could care less how old those folks are.
                      The Alberta Health Officer was really mad that the federal government officials labelled Alberta in a second wave., she took great pains to say that a second wave would be an enormous spike where you can't track cases, that's not where we are. And in other good news, the Calgary Board of Education (biggest school board in Alberta) has 1% of all students have tested positive. And there have been 0 cases of it being transmitted from student to student in school.

As for Manitoba, yes 41 cases today (which sorry to say, is basically nothing) but 36 of those cases go back to one person at a club.

As for your comment about flu/cold season and covid, see Australia.

Comment

Further to....we were going to have Thanksgiving here, for 8 of us, but have just decided as a group to cancel or postpone. As we speak. That's what's going in The Peg. And I really trust my family members.

That's ridiculous. We've decided to treat Thanksgiving as normal. The same way we treated Easter, and family get togethers in the summer. And the same way we'll treat Christmas. If anyone is feeling sick, they'll stay away.

Comment

• Yeah, in Australia the big fear initially was the coming into Winter combined with covid-19, didn't materialise at all. We actually got a handle on things really quickly here, and only really seen a second wave in one state due to a quarantine blunder, but that is under control now. We are fully back on top of it now with next to no community transmission, and we are looking to really open everything back up in the coming months heading into our Summer. The federal government is pushing for states to open borders, reduce restrictions, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
                            Yeah, in Australia the big fear initially was the coming into Winter combined with covid-19, didn't materialise at all. We actually got a handle on things really quickly here, and only really seen a second wave in one state due to a quarantine blunder, but that is under control now. We are fully back on top of it now with next to no community transmission, and we are looking to really open everything back up in the coming months heading into our Summer. The federal government is pushing for states to open borders, reduce restrictions, etc.
                            When did you move to Australia?
                            sigpic
                            Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

That's ridiculous. We've decided to treat Thanksgiving as normal. The same way we treated Easter, and family get togethers in the summer. And the same way we'll treat Christmas. If anyone is feeling sick, they'll stay away.
                              As you should, but always keep the word asymptomatic in mind, especially if one of your family members was at a risk event or near someone who got sick, yet they don't show signs. Doesn't mean they don't have it and can spread it to the rest of your family. I'm sure you know this but just in case... :thumb:

Comment

So you're telling me and my family we're ridiculous. Several folks around 70 and more. A person who lost their husband last year. A teacher and a student. We base our decisions based on respect.

I guess this is a smack thread now.
                                Last edited by CanDB; 09-26-2020, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X