Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corona virus

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • We are fast approaching 1,000,000 covid deaths, over 200,000 in the US, and most of this within 8 months.

    What we don't know is how many people are permanently damaged as a result, even though they survived, or did not even have bad symptoms. I expect that number to be very large unfortunately. I hope I am wrong on that.

    And in my opinion, it is important that we stay the course with safety, because unhealthy does not equate to economic prosperity. The sooner we restore our health as communities, the sooner we restore economic prosperity.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
      The Alberta Health Officer was really mad that the federal government officials labelled Alberta in a second wave., she took great pains to say that a second wave would be an enormous spike where you can't track cases, that's not where we are. And in other good news, the Calgary Board of Education (biggest school board in Alberta) has 1% of all students have tested positive. And there have been 0 cases of it being transmitted from student to student in school.

      As for Manitoba, yes 41 cases today (which sorry to say, is basically nothing) but 36 of those cases go back to one person at a club.

      As for your comment about flu/cold season and covid, see Australia.
      The numbers have gone from 0 for a two to three week period, and of late are rising steadily....and they aren't all to do with night clubbing.

      We think our number is not "nothing", given our diligence and excellent results prior to. Maybe again, stick to your turf when it comes to making judgement. I don't act like I know what's going on there. Sure, you know someone in Winnipeg. I know people in Alberta.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        So you're telling me and my family we're ridiculous. Several folks around 70 and more. A person who lost their husband last year. A teacher and a student. We base our decisions based on respect.

        I guess this is a smack thread now.
        A smack thread? I didn't mention your family in any way. The entire post was about the decision my family made and will make. But sure, it's all about you...

        Comment


        • Originally posted by CanDB View Post
          The numbers have gone from 0 for a two to three week period, and of late are rising steadily....and they aren't all to do with night clubbing.

          We think our number is not "nothing", given our diligence and excellent results prior to. Maybe again, stick to your turf when it comes to making judgement. I don't act like I know what's going on there. Sure, you know someone in Winnipeg. I know people in Alberta.
          The person I know in Winnipeg is quite high up in the health system, and is involved in government meetings on health care and Covid.

          And yes, in the grand scheme of things, 41 new cases yesterday, and 177 on the week is next to nothing. Many areas have numbers a lot higher than that (especially in the US) so I'm sorry if I don't understand Manitoba's "struggle."

          Comment


          • Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            We are fast approaching 1,000,000 covid deaths, over 200,000 in the US, and most of this within 8 months.

            What we don't know is how many people are permanently damaged as a result, even though they survived, or did not even have bad symptoms. I expect that number to be very large unfortunately. I hope I am wrong on that.

            And in my opinion, it is important that we stay the course with safety, because unhealthy does not equate to economic prosperity. The sooner we restore our health as communities, the sooner we restore economic prosperity.

            Covid is never going away. Even if there's a vaccine, it's very unlikely Covid will go away. We need to move from hoping no one gets it, to figuring out how to live life normally while still understanding its around.

            And it's been around for less than a year, there is no way of knowing any long term damage at this point because studies wouldn't be able to look at how those who had covid are after 9 months, 1 year.

            Comment


            • well 200,000 people did die in the US. It 'didn't' effect nearly no one. So while you might be right.... just ignoring it is not the right way to go about it. Not saying that's what you're suggesting but....... some people are
              Red 98

              Kareem rises to the top

              Comment


              • Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                well 200,000 people did die in the US. It 'didn't' effect nearly no one. So while you might be right.... just ignoring it is not the right way to go about it. Not saying that's what you're suggesting but....... some people are
                Absolutely the US got hit hard by Covid, lots of people with serious issues and unfortunately a lot of deaths. My comment was for a province in Canada and how they've done a very good job with it, so to panic over a small number of new cases, is a little much, because so many other areas have been hit hard by Covid, and haven't done as good of a job.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                  Further to....we were going to have Thanksgiving here, for 8 of us, but have just decided as a group to cancel or postpone. As we speak. That's what's going in The Peg. And I really trust my family members.
                  Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                  That's ridiculous. We've decided to treat Thanksgiving as normal. The same way we treated Easter, and family get togethers in the summer. And the same way we'll treat Christmas. If anyone is feeling sick, they'll stay away.
                  Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                  A smack thread? I didn't mention your family in any way. The entire post was about the decision my family made and will make. But sure, it's all about you...
                  You said our family decision was ridiculous. Pretty clear. Had you said I understand but we're doing it this way, I would have been fine with it. Ridiculous infers something else.

                  "All about me" is your personal take.
                  Last edited by CanDB; 09-26-2020, 11:56 AM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                    The person I know in Winnipeg is quite high up in the health system, and is involved in government meetings on health care and Covid.

                    And yes, in the grand scheme of things, 41 new cases yesterday, and 177 on the week is next to nothing. Many areas have numbers a lot higher than that (especially in the US) so I'm sorry if I don't understand Manitoba's "struggle."
                    That's all your take. But I do respect where that person is situated in all of this. I know high ups too. I also know hundreds (more like thousands) of people here. Oh, and I live here and listen to, read, and talk to people every day.
                    Last edited by CanDB; 09-26-2020, 12:10 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                      Covid is never going away. Even if there's a vaccine, it's very unlikely Covid will go away. We need to move from hoping no one gets it, to figuring out how to live life normally while still understanding its around.

                      And it's been around for less than a year, there is no way of knowing any long term damage at this point because studies wouldn't be able to look at how those who had covid are after 9 months, 1 year.
                      So lets just not worry about it?

                      Seems to me there's been numerous studies about inflammation of the heart, and potential long term damage to organs. That is worrisome especially when dealing with such an unknown commodity.

                      Comment


                      • Glad things appear to be improvingl :thumb:
                        To infinity...and beyond.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                          Covid is never going away. Even if there's a vaccine, it's very unlikely Covid will go away. We need to move from hoping no one gets it, to figuring out how to live life normally while still understanding its around.

                          And it's been around for less than a year, there is no way of knowing any long term damage at this point because studies wouldn't be able to look at how those who had covid are after 9 months, 1 year.
                          Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                          Absolutely the US got hit hard by Covid, lots of people with serious issues and unfortunately a lot of deaths. My comment was for a province in Canada and how they've done a very good job with it, so to panic over a small number of new cases, is a little much, because so many other areas have been hit hard by Covid, and haven't done as good of a job.
                          First bolded...

                          I am fairly confident that next year we will have a vaccine and a treatment, which will make things considerably safer. I will personally feel much better, because a vaccine could prevent me from getting it, and a treatment would help me if I did get it. Plus there's a chance that this thing could lose steam, but I am not counting on it. Overall, I see next year as considerably safer.

                          FTR...not in panic here. But that's your description. Cautious. Ask others who are even a bit vulnerable (because I wouldn't tell you much about our personal health situation). See if they feel confident that all is well. See if they think it's cool to be told that being cautious in certain circumstances is ridiculous.

                          Comment


                          • Its pretty clear by now... a little common sense keeps Corona out of your life..

                            At this point these panic moves are not needed.

                            Yes restrictions on "late night" establishments should be in place... drinking and partying is a luxury that shouldn't be readily available in an environment that brings a lot of strangers together in a basically uncontrolled environment for the sole purpose of drinking and socializing.

                            and large gatherings should be stemmed. (concerts, festivals, and yes fans at a sporting event)

                            getting together with family or a few friends in a controlled environment? Why not. we have to live too.

                            People are acting ridiculous and on both sides of this thing...

                            common sense isn't there anymore...
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                              Its pretty clear by now... a little common sense keeps Corona out of your life..

                              At this point these panic moves are not needed.

                              Yes restrictions on "late night" establishments should be in place... drinking and partying is a luxury that shouldn't be readily available in an environment that brings a lot of strangers together in a basically uncontrolled environment for the sole purpose of drinking and socializing.

                              and large gatherings should be stemmed. (concerts, festivals, and yes fans at a sporting event)

                              getting together with family or a few friends in a controlled environment? Why not. we have to live too.

                              People are acting ridiculous and on both sides of this thing...

                              common sense isn't there anymore...
                              I agree.......

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                                Its pretty clear by now... a little common sense keeps Corona out of your life..

                                At this point these panic moves are not needed.

                                Yes restrictions on "late night" establishments should be in place... drinking and partying is a luxury that shouldn't be readily available in an environment that brings a lot of strangers together in a basically uncontrolled environment for the sole purpose of drinking and socializing.

                                and large gatherings should be stemmed. (concerts, festivals, and yes fans at a sporting event)

                                getting together with family or a few friends in a controlled environment? Why not. we have to live too.

                                People are acting ridiculous and on both sides of this thing...

                                common sense isn't there anymore...
                                Yeah, when your COVID cases double from 10 to 20 and the media hits you with a 100% spike headline, it's probably safe to ignore sensationalist fear mongering.

                                Maybe I'm just getting old...but, I can remember a time when we had actual news.
                                To infinity...and beyond.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X