Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corona virus

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The last few times I have gone out, I see masks everywhere. Older, younger. Folks, male and female, that look far healthier than I. Safety and respect, all working towards a better day. One of the next questions...how do you approach opening your doors to all visitors?

    Comment


    • Not so much a rebuttal but something to consider when trying to compare countries. It was stated that Canada is not a good reference point for covid performance, because it is not very densely populated. I would state that, it matters where the population is, and not so much about how much open space you have. I've seen more than one study on urbanization of countries. Here's one version, which is similar to the other I reviewed, showing countries and their urbanization rates:

      Japan - 91.8%
      UK - 83.9 %
      US - 82.7%
      Canada - 81.6%
      S Korea - 81.4%
      France - 81.0%
      Germany - 77.5%
      Italy - 71.0%

      Though urbanization is not a perfect way to compare, it tells me how densely populated in the areas that have most of the population. There are definitely a number of other key factors, but I do not believe that countries with large areas of open space make that much difference, given that similar % levels of population live in more concentrated areas. Even so, smaller, non urban populations have their own issues. An outbreak in a small, distant location can be a serious medical problem, given lack of resources.

      I have mentioned before but the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) has approx. 7 million citizens. That one mega city alone constitutes about 19% of the Canadian population. That is extreme density. Not many cities have that effect, other than places like Tokyo.

      So when we talk performance, urbanization rates may be useful, more so than the amount of land you have.
      Last edited by CanDB; 10-08-2020, 03:42 PM.

      Comment


      • Based on the predictions by the experts and trends I am observing, this is the most concerned I've been about the pandemic than I have been for almost 1/2 year. Restrictions are either now back in place or being considered in many places around the globe. If we globally move back a step or two, those businesses that barely made it through the initial barrage will be even more hard pressed to keep open. And from a purely health perspective, too many folks getting ill or worse, leaving us.

        Stay safe.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by CanDB View Post
          Based on the predictions by the experts and trends I am observing, this is the most concerned I've been about the pandemic than I have been for almost 1/2 year. Restrictions are either now back in place or being considered in many places around the globe. If we globally move back a step or two, those businesses that barely made it through the initial barrage will be even more hard pressed to keep open. And from a purely health perspective, too many folks getting ill or worse, leaving us.

          Stay safe.
          I agree. This is seriously a critical time. WI just topped 3000 + cases in a day for the first time.

          Not good Mav, not good....

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Peerless View Post

            I agree. This is seriously a critical time. WI just topped 3000 + cases in a day for the first time.

            Not good Mav, not good....
            I hope you are able to do your job with all the resources you need. I worry about the medical folks, like you, who have done a great service for all of us, and may have to face more uncertainties. Just not fair in my opinion.

            It's one thing to offer more praise and thanks to those on the front lines, but at some point those words lose their strength. At some point there has to be more responsibility.

            Comment


            • I think I read somewhere or heard ........ and I may be wrong but ...

              The Spanish flu killed 650k Americans over the course of 3 years in multiple waves.

              Covid has killed 200k+ in less than 1 year.

              We're on pace to match the Spanish Flu in deaths at this rate ........ unless they can get their act together

              But it's just a flu?
              Red 98

              Kareem rises to the top

              Comment


              • Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                I think I read somewhere or heard ........ and I may be wrong but ...

                The Spanish flu killed 650k Americans over the course of 3 years in multiple waves.

                Covid has killed 200k+ in less than 1 year.

                We're on pace to match the Spanish Flu in deaths at this rate ........ unless they can get their act together

                But it's just a flu?
                I do not know the details, but that was a century ago, and wouldn't you expect that we would be much smarter now, and be using our science/medical knowledge at full throttle?

                But it was just a flu...The Spanish Flu!! Maybe that's the comparison the "don't use science" folks are making. That makes sense to me now.

                Comment


                • We still can't get people to put a damn mask on. Trump isn't helping
                  Red 98

                  Kareem rises to the top

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                    We still can't get people to put a damn mask on. Trump isn't helping
                    What is the President supposed to do without violating the constitution or the principles upon which this country was founded?

                    Masks are unnecessary for the most part. You need them when you know you’re going to be in close proximity to others for an extended period of time.

                    Even though Titans had an outbreak, The Vikings never got it. The Chiefs didn’t get it from the Patriots.

                    While it’s a good idea to wear a mask, it’s not a huge risk to not wear one, unless you’re going to be around people for a while.

                    So wear a mask at work, if you don’t work alone. Other times, just be ready to wear one, if it becomes necessary.
                    You Mad Bro?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by broncolee View Post

                      What is the President supposed to do without violating the constitution or the principles upon which this country was founded?

                      Masks are unnecessary for the most part. You need them when you know you’re going to be in close proximity to others for an extended period of time.
                      .
                      You're absolutely right. That's the problem right there - there are STILL too many people ignoring the mask recommendation in tight spaces. Our commander in chief, among others have been tested + as we all know - and it could have been due to the cluttered and close proximity during an even at the Rose Garden. Why weren't they setting an example to a logical comment that you just made?

                      So yeah - talk about 'rights' and 'principles' all you want. But what people should be talking more about is plain common sense. Something that a lot of people in the picture below don't seem or want to have, and the evidence of the positive accounts shows.


                      Last edited by Peerless; 10-10-2020, 09:54 AM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Peerless View Post

                        You're absolutely right. That's the problem right there - there are STILL too many people ignoring the mask recommendation in tight spaces. Our commander in chief, among others have been tested + as we all know - and it could have been due to the cluttered and close proximity during an even at the Rose Garden. Why weren't they setting an example to a logical comment that you just made?

                        So yeah - talk about 'rights' and 'principles' all you want. But what people should be talking more about his plain common sense. Something that a lot of people in the picture below don't seem or want to have, and the evidence of the positive accounts shows.


                        Illustration of Hot Spot

                        Comment


                        • What I learned about the pandemic in the last 24 hours:

                          1) The world set a new record for cases in one day
                          2) The city where I live set a new record for cases in one day
                          3) Good news.... (outside of one school) there are not too many cases in our school system....not sure about Universities/Colleges

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Peerless View Post

                            You're absolutely right. That's the problem right there - there are STILL too many people ignoring the mask recommendation in tight spaces. Our commander in chief, among others have been tested + as we all know - and it could have been due to the cluttered and close proximity during an even at the Rose Garden. Why weren't they setting an example to a logical comment that you just made?

                            So yeah - talk about 'rights' and 'principles' all you want. But what people should be talking more about is plain common sense. Something that a lot of people in the picture below don't seem or want to have, and the evidence of the positive accounts shows.


                            Nancy Pelosi was in a salon without a mask. Why isn’t she required to set an example?

                            I think people need to just accept that we each have different attitudes and opinions about the same topic and we each will act according to those attitudes and opinions.

                            One side shouldn’t try to impose their view on the other.

                            The government should definitely not violate the constitution to impose one view over the other.
                            You Mad Bro?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by broncolee View Post

                              Nancy Pelosi was in a salon without a mask. Why isn’t she required to set an example?

                              I think people need to just accept that we each have different attitudes and opinions about the same topic and we each will act according to those attitudes and opinions.

                              One side shouldn’t try to impose their view on the other.

                              The government should definitely not violate the constitution to impose one view over the other.
                              My response to you is not political....that was a hot spot, and as adults, it should have been handled smarter. Loads of folks have been infected as a result. BTW, Amy Barrett already had the virus, luckily.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by broncolee View Post

                                Nancy Pelosi was in a salon without a mask. Why isn’t she required to set an example?

                                I think people need to just accept that we each have different attitudes and opinions about the same topic and we each will act according to those attitudes and opinions.

                                One side shouldn’t try to impose their view on the other.

                                The government should definitely not violate the constitution to impose one view over the other.
                                Hey man, I was literally just repeating what you wrote in your previous post.

                                I mean - you were the one that mentioned people should wear masks in close populated spaces. I don’t know why a picture of a bunch of people together (with most not wearing masks) who have been tested positive with covid should be swept to the side and ‘accepted’ as it’s their own right and attitude when we both know all of them were in the wrong.

                                I don’t understand how some cctv footage of a lady in a bathrobe after getting her hair washed is even remotely comparable, especially to your original statement that I replied to.

                                Do do you disagree?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X