Corona virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post

Except the science says masks don’t work both ways.
    There's evidence that it does and sometimes science makes mistakes or isn't 100% accurate. I support the science regarding COVID precautions 99.9% but I still believe me wearing a mask greatly diminishes the possibility of contracting ANY virus and even more so when I socially distance AND stay far away from groups and crowds, indoors or outdoors which my wife and I do.
    Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I understand it to have 2 way protection, though more beneficial if a person with the virus wears one.....

Aaron E. Glatt, M.D., chair of medicine at Mount Sinai South Nassau in Oceanside, New York, agrees that masks are beneficial for the wearer. Dr. Glatt, who was not involved with this study, reiterates that wearing a mask isn't selfless.

"There is evidence to support the idea that you are also being protected when you wear a mask from anyone in close proximity to you who is shedding virus," he tells Men's Health. "This double masking idea protects against spread of viral illness besides COVID-19 – it will protect against flu and the common cold too!"

Has this been debunked?
      Well, then there was bad information coming out in the beginning.

It would also seem that this is evidence that the restrictions being imposed are gross overkill.

Let the stadiums fill up and kick out anyone not wearing a mask. Stop the game if you have to to get people out and resume the game when the violators have been removed.

You Mad Bro?

Comment

Well, then there was bad information coming out in the beginning.

It would also seem that this is evidence that the restrictions being imposed are gross overkill.

Let the stadiums fill up and kick out anyone not wearing a mask. Stop the game if you have to to get people out and resume the game when the violators have been removed.

But we're way past "the beginning". I think folks should read "Who Moved My Cheese?"....things change, you do something different.

Comment

But we're way past "the beginning". I think folks should read "Who Moved My Cheese?"....things change, you do something different.
          Something as simple as whether or not masks help the wearer should be easy for the scientists to communicate.

The whole excuse for telling people not to hoard surgical masks was that masks don’t help the person wearing the mask.

They shouldn’t have told that lie. What medical supplier even sells surgical masks on retail, anyway? What hospital or other medical facility buys there supplies from a retail outlet that would have run out of them if the general public started buying masks?
          You Mad Bro?

Comment

Something as simple as whether or not masks help the wearer should be easy for the scientists to communicate.

The whole excuse for telling people not to hoard surgical masks was that masks don’t help the person wearing the mask.

They shouldn’t have told that lie. What medical supplier even sells surgical masks on retail, anyway? What hospital or other medical facility buys there supplies from a retail outlet that would have run out of them if the general public started buying masks?
            So who are you actually blaming? Since spring I think we all knew what we should be doing. No excuses. And again, I am quite sure masks help those from being infected by others.

Comment

I totally disagree. Nothing acceptable about death, given this pandemic. So many of those deaths were avoidable. So many lives lost without family members nearby to say goodbye. So many folks who were not going to die if not for covid. I do not normalize death. Older folks and vulnerable folks, and ANY folks do not want to die, nor be hospitalized.

As for what you heard....I still see more studies that say covid related deaths are underestimated. I really don't buy into the 6% comment. Hey, many folks die due to a combination of factors, but I sense that if covid did not arrive into their lives, they'd still be having good times with family/friends, and vice versa.

As for the death counts related to driving, smoking, drinking, etc......it has taken us a long time to get to these levels. Not acceptable levels, but levels that have become more common given time, effort to control and so forth. This is not even year one of the pandemic. We have not nearly adjusted to its impact, nor its depth and width so to speak.

I know you are not "normalizing" death, but I don't see the death counts pertaining to covid as anything but staggering and in many ways, worrisome.
              People die all the time...no one lives forever. Death is always serious...but it is also part of living.

When we get into a car we accept risks. When states will give anyone a drivers license and allow them to keep taking tests over and over (I know a girl who took written/driver tests 11 times) we accept risks. When we walk down the street we accept risks. When someone goes out to eat they accept risks...some people even go real risky and eat fast food. Shoot when we choose to get out of bed and leave the house we accept risks.

It would not be hard to find someone talking about how avoiding risks all together is not really living.

Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post

People die all the time...no one lives forever. Death is always serious...but it is also part of living.

When we get into a car we accept risks. When states will give anyone a drivers license and allow them to keep taking tests over and over (I know a girl who took written/driver tests 11 times) we accept risks. When we walk down the street we accept risks. When someone goes out to eat they accept risks...some people even go real risky and eat fast food. Shoot when we choose to get out of bed and leave the house we accept risks.

It would not be hard to find someone talking about how avoiding risks all together is not really living.

The covid situation is still relatively new. If we had a real handle on it, and people played by the rules that work, we would not be risking lives.....and in many cases, risking lives of others through our lack of respect and because of poor judgement.

Are you saying that driving a car is a risk for a person not even in the car?? That's the real issue. People infecting those who are older/vulnerable. I highly doubt anyone here has a big problem with people getting the virus who were irresponsible. To be sure, we do not want them to get really sick or worse. But this comes down to common sense and respect. If a person wants to take that risk, not wearing a mask, or not social distancing, or not washing hands, so be it. But that person should not infect others, nor get quicker medical support than those who played by the rules.

To conclude, the covid situation is worsening in most places. It's highly due to disrespectful people. I am no hero, but I got tested before I had some important appointments, and when I was going to see my old friends, because I felt a wee bit ill, and did not want to to risk my friends or the professionals I was going to meet. Fortunately I have only tested negative, BUT I knew that before I met.

And as for the argument that so many folks die every year from car accidents, alcoholism, smoking and so on.....which was discussed before, I don't see this situation as the same at all. We are still learning, whereas those other situations took decades to understand, and to manage. At some point there were levels of death associated with them, but that came from many years of trial and error and public opinion. This is barely year one of a nasty covid.
                Last edited by CanDB; 10-29-2020, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post

Both of your statements are obviously true. It's like saying "the sun will rise tomorrow and every human being will be effected by it to some degree".
                  No kidding....really?

Isn't it an ongoing goal through history by human beings to save many lives (medicine, traffic laws, etc), to prevent unnecessary deaths.

And it's basic common sense knowledge that as soon as you get out of your bed you just took your first risk of the day.

Just being a human being automatically puts you at risk of something "negative" happening at some level at any time regardless of how careful you are.

When is careful common sense behavior (wearing a mask - social distancing) allowed to turn into reckless abandon behavior (do whatever you want, where you want and with who you want) because spoiled, self centered Americans have rights and they're being violated. How dare someone dictate how I should live my life with other human beings. Are you serious?

Should any surgeon and support operating team members be allowed to NOT wear masks and gloves during and significant surgical procedure?
                  Should we stop erecting crossing gates with bells and lights at intersections where cars and trains cross paths?
                  Should we get rid of traffic lights and speed limits on all roads and highways?
                  Should we quit trying to cure diseases?

The answer to all of the above is NO! For obvious reasons!

It's time for ALL Americans to be true patriots and use basic common sense by wearing a mask and social distancing to protect each other and.....SAVE LIVES!
                  Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• Where I live, we had really good results with the pandemic for some time. In Winnipeg, a city of over 800,000 (per estimates), we had over 2 weeks straight of zero covid cases in July. Some folks did not think that was a big deal, but many of us did. Because the pandemic was a reality at that time. But now we are among the worst provinces/cities in Canada. It is shocking. I see most folks following the rules, but somewhere along the way we lowered our collective guard.

This is not a warning, but if we are doing so poorly, and having to add restrictions once again, it can happen almost anywhere. And being inside, and celebrating Thanksgiving and Christmas, and shopping, are not going to make things better. We have choices, and we need some discipline.

Be well.

Comment

• This may not be the best place for this, but this thread has shown the care and concern that we have for our fellow citizens. I thought this would be a good place to reach good people.

November is national epilepsy awareness month. If you have anyone in your circle that suffers from epilepsy chances are you already know the first aid procedures to help. If you are not aware I ask you to please take some time and read on what you can do to help protect someone who may have a seizure in your presence. In the United States alone we have over 3.4 million of us that suffer, but it is an issue in every walk of life.

https://www.epilepsy.com/living-epilepsy/seizure-first-aid-and-safety/first-aid-seizures-stay-safe-side

Thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
                        This may not be the best place for this, but this thread has shown the care and concern that we have for our fellow citizens. I thought this would be a good place to reach good people.

November is national epilepsy awareness month. If you have anyone in your circle that suffers from epilepsy chances are you already know the first aid procedures to help. If you are not aware I ask you to please take some time and read on what you can do to help protect someone who may have a seizure in your presence. In the United States alone we have over 3.4 million of us that suffer, but it is an issue in every walk of life.

https://www.epilepsy.com/living-epilepsy/seizure-first-aid-and-safety/first-aid-seizures-stay-safe-side

Thank you
                        Always a good thing when we discuss positive behaviour towards others who may need some support.

Comment

• Now that Elway contracted COVID, I think I should take it more seriously. I thought the Duke was bulletproof!!!!!!

sarcasm

Comment

• With Pfizer's announcement about a vaccine that is proving to be very effective in trials, and could be available within months, we may be looking at a "game changer". I read that it has an efficacy rate of 90%, which is very good! 2021 is looking like a good year, after the pain and suffering of 2020.

Comment

• Hmmmm...after all the problems and the deaths, the untold long term damage and the economic catastrophe, I would have imagined more enthusiasm about the Pfizer announcement. Yes, high probability of a "game changer" possibly within a few months. That works for me.
                              Last edited by CanDB; 11-10-2020, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• Meanwhile, my lovely province has just announced we are going into code red, in hopes to calm things before the holiday season....and more so. We were doing as good as most, with very few cases/deaths until the end of summer. That's why I suggest to all to take this very seriously for the next few months, when we may get our first real break with a vaccine.

Comment

Working...
                                X