Corona virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I really think you are stating something that is fundamentally important these days. In many cases, there is only one right answer. I often see discussions where one party is lectured for being a bit assertive. But in some cases there is only one correct view. For some reason it appears we are expected to honour all opinions, but I definitely dispute the "everyone is correct" approach, which is akin to everyone getting trophies and medals for showing up. The truth is, there is only one right answer on many topics, and failure to comprehend might be cool in early school years, or even on a message board, but watch out...because reality bites, especially when you enter the workforce or are involved in other activities where not only do trophies and medals not exist for everyone, but the end result of not "getting it" may be nasty...in terms of being fired, or some other negative response. If a senior level manager says you're wrong, you better accept it, or be prepared to update your resume.

Whoa...settle down Dave!! Maybe you're just a bit "hangry" and need a Snickers bar.
    I think you are spot on.....however.....when you're talking about putting man made chemicals into your body there is no definite for sure this is the right answer. It should be 100% a personal choice and if it's forced we no longer live in a free society. God created us to have free will and FREEDOM to make our own choices. Nobody should force their thoughts/beliefs/ideas for humanity if another finds it as an infringement on their own thoughts or beliefs.

All kinds of information is available on what happens after you get the shots. It is true that you can still contract and spread the virus while being vaccinated. I'm not in here slamming anyone for wanting to get vaccinated. If you're in a class of people who are more susceptible to severe illness and your family doctor suggests you take it then take it. Me and my family are in a class of people who are in the lighter end of things. For crying out loud my 86 year old grandmother is refusing the shot.....I suppose she is selfish too.

Comment

• Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post

I think you are spot on.....however.....when you're talking about putting man made chemicals into your body there is no definite for sure this is the right answer. It should be 100% a personal choice and if it's forced we no longer live in a free society. God created us to have free will and FREEDOM to make our own choices. Nobody should force their thoughts/beliefs/ideas for humanity if another finds it as an infringement on their own thoughts or beliefs.

All kinds of information is available on what happens after you get the shots. It is true that you can still contract and spread the virus while being vaccinated. I'm not in here slamming anyone for wanting to get vaccinated. If you're in a class of people who are more susceptible to severe illness and your family doctor suggests you take it then take it. Me and my family are in a class of people who are in the lighter end of things. For crying out loud my 86 year old grandmother is refusing the shot.....I suppose she is selfish too.
      My response this time was more of a generality. As for your grandmother, I respect her choice. She has lived a long life, and she deserves to feel good about her health and happiness.

Comment

I hate to double up here, but I am not buying the bolded, in light of this discussion. I would leave God out of this, because people make bad choices, not God. And I think you know what some of us have been saying all along....if your choices can negatively impact others, you are making the wrong choices.

Further, I am not going to look back, but if I ask you now if you supported mask wearing (when the medical folks told us to), distancing, and even temporary lockdowns, would you say yes to all??

And further.....since this thread was started, by you, in which you stated:

This is absolutely insane!! I get that it's something new and people are afraid of it. But, the symptoms are just that of the flu. 120,000 people died last year because of the flu. do we stop living our lives and going to our favorite places because we're afraid of getting the flu?

Social media and news outlets need to stop playing like this is the plague! Yes, you can die from it but you can also die from the flu. I'm no doctor and I don't pretend to play one on TV but it seems to me that this isn't really that serious. The ones that it is affecting the most are the elderly because of their weaker immune systems. Stop living your lives in fear and just live

....well over 2.5 Million people have died from it, as well as well over 1/2 Million Americans alone. Millions of people are probably impacted beyond their initial infection. New variants are slowing us down yet again, and are faster spreading. The virus keeps re-engineering itself. More younger folks are being infected and impacted. The end may be soon, but maybe not. And yes, I did not even get near the economic impacts, the social issues, the education concerns, and so much more. Had we done this wiser, and as a team, we could have greatly reduced all the negative effects.

I believe strongly that we as a world community could have done so much better. But many of us did our best. In the end though, this is not about individual freedoms. Not when we can harm others. That's when I call it "selfish."
        Last edited by CanDB; 04-06-2021, 08:44 AM.

Comment

I hate to double up here, but I am not buying the bolded, in light of this discussion. I would leave God out of this, because people make bad choices, not God. And I think you know what some of us have been saying all along....if your choices can negatively impact others, you are making the wrong choices.

Further, I am not going to look back, but if I ask you now if you supported mask wearing (when the medical folks told us to), distancing, and even temporary lockdowns, would you say yes to all??

And further.....since this thread was started, by you, in which you stated:

This is absolutely insane!! I get that it's something new and people are afraid of it. But, the symptoms are just that of the flu. 120,000 people died last year because of the flu. do we stop living our lives and going to our favorite places because we're afraid of getting the flu?

Social media and news outlets need to stop playing like this is the plague! Yes, you can die from it but you can also die from the flu. I'm no doctor and I don't pretend to play one on TV but it seems to me that this isn't really that serious. The ones that it is affecting the most are the elderly because of their weaker immune systems. Stop living your lives in fear and just live

....well over 2.5 Million people have died from it, as well as well over 1/2 Million Americans alone. Millions of people are probably impacted beyond their initial infection. New variants are slowing us down yet again, and are faster spreading. The virus keeps re-engineering itself. More younger folks are being infected and impacted. The end may be soon, but maybe not. And yes, I did not even get near the economic impacts, the social issues, the education concerns, and so much more. Had we done this wiser, and as a team, we could have greatly reduced all the negative effects.

I believe strongly that we as a world community could have done so much better. But many of us did our best. In the end though, this is not about individual freedoms. Not when we can harm others. That's when I call it "selfish."
          And have done my very best too....I have done my part in staying as distant as possible from others (outside of my family) and have been taking baths in hand sanitizer and soap.

Do I wear a mask when I'm out? No, I don't because I also know for my immune system to be at its strongest is to keep it involved in everyday life. I'll wear one in and out of buildings (if required) but I won't wear one just to be viewed wearing one.

If masks were so effective against this thing why is it still around? Wearing masks, supposedly, has eliminated the flu....why hasn't it stopped the spread of covid? What does science say about that? You can't say "it's because of people like you" ..... I stay away from people, how does my noncompliance effect someone away from me? Does the virus fly through the air for miles? Outside, no it doesn't because "science" proves that UV rays from the sun kills the virus.

Lots of questions out there that people have are only answered back with the response "because we're told to"....well that doesn't fly with me. I want to know why numbers continue to rise when the vast majority of people are taking proper steps to keep clean and stay distant

Comment

• Something else to consider if you fear COVID.

Obesity was also linked to increased risk for hospitalization and death, especially among those under age 65. As BMI rose, so did the risk, the CDC found.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...cdc-finds.html

Eating right, getting good sleep, exercise, don’t smoke, and getting vitamin d ( sunlight) will not only increase your chances of surviving COVID, but also heart disease, which kills more people than COVID each year.

Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men, women, and people of most racial and ethnic groups in the United States. One person dies every 36 seconds in the United States from cardiovascular disease. About 655,000 Americans die from heart disease each year—that's 1 in every 4 deaths.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hear...&client=safari

If we care so much about life, being healthy should be our goal not just telling everyone to wear a mask.

sigpic

Comment

• The mask wearing mandates were an odd one, and were something I didn't quite understand either. In Australia during the initial lockdown we had, the mask mandate was not a thing, no one was instructed to wear masks, European countries were, but the spread was stopped and we began re-opening everything rather quickly. Then, when it perked back up in one state in particular, a second lockdown followed for just that state, and the rest of the country was made to wear masks. Now we are fully on top of it, it is odd to look back on and think that the initial lockdown stopped the spread without masks at all. Hell, even our nurses administering the vaccine are not even wearing masks.

Comment

• Until someone proves scientifically otherwise, mask wearing is not hard to do, and is recommended by the majority of medical experts. But if folks want to distract the real issues with their take on things, that's fine too. But be very careful not to feel vindicated for living a pretty clean life, given you are not afflicted with a vulnerability of some sort. And maybe be thankful you did not get this evil virus, or it's variants. And if you are so lucky to have caught it, maybe without a mask, but did not suffer....just remember you could have been a very ripe distributor to others, some not as strong as you. Without your mask on perhaps.

I see the Brazil variant has pretty much taken down The Vancouver Canucks....a group of young, extremely strong and athletic men. Plenty more examples.

FTR...this is way more than wearing masks. Masks were a part of the equation, not the entire solution.
                Last edited by CanDB; 04-06-2021, 04:18 PM.

Comment

People refusing to do anything to help other humans to stay healthy by minimizing the possibility of spreading a deadly virus is irresponsible due to ignorance. That's why this pandemic will take much longer to eradicate and the economy to quickly rebound. Why is it that some people expect / demand if a remedy for a big problem isn't PERFECT with 100% PROOF that it is, they choose to remain part of the problem.
                  Very selfish and self centered attitude and is extremely difficult for friends, family, neighbors, front line medical teams to accept such careless behavior that forces them to think that death could be one breath away. Sad.
                  Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

People refusing to do anything to help other humans to stay healthy by minimizing the possibility of spreading a deadly virus is irresponsible due to ignorance. That's why this pandemic will take much longer to eradicate and the economy to quickly rebound. Why is it that some people expect / demand if a remedy for a big problem isn't PERFECT with 100% PROOF that it is, they choose to remain part of the problem.
                    Very selfish and self centered attitude and is extremely difficult for friends, family, neighbors, front line medical teams to accept such careless behavior that forces them to think that death could be one breath away. Sad.
                    What's sad is this right here. We have flu shots yet we still have the flu....you really think this virus is going to get eradicated?? Go ahead and take your booster shots every year to stay on top of this virus. I'll continue to exercise eat healthy and use nature (the sun) to keep my body ready to fight. There are other natural and just as effective (if not more) methods to keep yourself healthy. I do don't need a vaccine and quite frankly most people don't either.

Comment

• Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                      Something else to consider if you fear COVID.

Obesity was also linked to increased risk for hospitalization and death, especially among those under age 65. As BMI rose, so did the risk, the CDC found.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...cdc-finds.html

Eating right, getting good sleep, exercise, don’t smoke, and getting vitamin d ( sunlight) will not only increase your chances of surviving COVID, but also heart disease, which kills more people than COVID each year.

Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men, women, and people of most racial and ethnic groups in the United States. One person dies every 36 seconds in the United States from cardiovascular disease. About 655,000 Americans die from heart disease each year—that's 1 in every 4 deaths.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hear...&client=safari

If we care so much about life, being healthy should be our goal not just telling everyone to wear a mask.
                      It is interesting that a while back, people were using the argument that Covid was not nearly as much a "killer" as so many other things. Now that it's 550,000 plus in The US alone, and near the top of the annual death stat, it is still not worthy of similar attention because it's not #1 or #2. Covid is right behind heart disease and cancer as one of the top 3 causes of death over the last 12 months.

Lets call it what it is, a killer and potential long term problem for many who have been impacted by it. And many of those who lost their lives had issues to deal with that were not self induced, or were older and leaving us way before their time. Older people may not be as "healthy" as many younger folks, but bodies do change over time. So I don't think it fair to blame a lot of older people, or anyone with a condition, or for that matter, many, many more for being the target of a deadly virus that was passed on to them....possibly by younger, healthier types.

I agree....we are responsible for taking good care of ourselves, but we are also responsible for passing on viruses and whatever else to others. Being healthy does not mean we can go maskless, ignore the social distancing recommendations, or gather with groups to keep the virus active. It's about respect for others and doing your part to minimize the spread. Spreading it, healthy or not, can infect many others, and lead to crowded healthcare facilities, and depleted resources, and has proven to be a deadly factor when it comes to healthcare and other front line workers...who serve us.

I would also argue that, apparently all the folks who I know were never infected. They followed the rules. They got checked out if concerned. Therefore it is highly unlikely we as a group ever infected anyone else. We may not all be as healthy as you, perhaps(??), but we quite possibly kept the virus cases down to 0. So you see, healthy people are not exempt from this. If they are healthy and never spread the virus, they did good. But I think we all witnessed/heard about tons of irresponsible "spreader" events, where potentially healthy people ruined it for others. So there's more to this pandemic than eating good foods and staying fit.
                      Last edited by CanDB; 04-06-2021, 04:57 PM.

Comment

What's sad is this right here. We have flu shots yet we still have the flu....you really think this virus is going to get eradicated?? Go ahead and take your booster shots every year to stay on top of this virus. I'll continue to exercise eat healthy and use nature (the sun) to keep my body ready to fight. There are other natural and just as effective (if not more) methods to keep yourself healthy. I do don't need a vaccine and quite frankly most people don't either.
                        Ok, now you're just being illogical. You seem to be in "denial" of science. And to be sure, just because some others pop up here and there and agree with you, you are very much on the wrong side of history. Be thankful that so many people have been cautious and caring and supportive of others, because if not, this would be a catastrophe. As in, major Depression, excessive death and sickness, and years to even get back close to normal. Fortunately your new leadership has implemented a solid plan for recovery, and it is working.
                        Last edited by CanDB; 04-06-2021, 05:08 PM.

Comment

It is interesting that a while back, people were using the argument that Covid was not nearly as much a "killer" as so many other things. Now that it's 550,000 plus in The US alone, and near the top of the annual death stat, it is still not worthy of similar attention because it's not #1 or #2. Covid is right behind heart disease and cancer as one of the top 3 causes of death over the last 12 months.

Lets call it what it is, a killer and potential long term problem for many who have been impacted by it. And many of those who lost their lives had issues to deal with that were not self induced, or were older and leaving us way before their time. Older people may not be as "healthy" as many younger folks, but bodies do change over time. So I don't think it fair to blame a lot of older people, or anyone with a condition, or for that matter, many, many more for being the target of a deadly virus that was passed on to them....possibly by younger, healthier types.

I agree....we are responsible for taking good care of ourselves, but we are also responsible for passing on viruses and whatever else to others. Being healthy does not mean we can go maskless, ignore the social distancing recommendations, or gather with groups to keep the virus active. It's about respect for others and doing your part to minimize the spread. Spreading it, healthy or not, can infect many others, and lead to crowded healthcare facilities, and depleted resources, and has proven to be a deadly factor when it comes to healthcare and other front line workers...who serve us.
                          If you have underlying conditions and are elderly no doubt it’s a killer.
                          94% of COVID deaths had comorbidities, meaning COVID was the final blow, not the only cause.

Obesity alone increases chance of death 50% if you get COVID, is it a surprise that the US the most obese country in the world is being hit so hard?

Obesity needs to be taken seriously, no one had a problem ruining the economy for COVID. The companies making billions selling
                          junk , and tobacco ( fast food, etc) should be responsible for universal health care that some want.

Covid has hurt many lives, the shutdowns have taken peoples businesses, education for the youth has been set back, and hundreds of thousands have died from Covid, overdoses, and suicide.
                          Time for Americans to push for better health!!!! By health I mean nutrition, and exercise not medication that result in additional issues.

Anybody that doesn’t want to fight obesity need not worry about Covid.
                          I believe we fight Covid with better health and in some cases use vaccinations and other safety protocols like quarantine for those most at risk.

For the people who want lockdowns never forget:
                          Florida Sees Same COVID Case Rate as California, Despite No Statewide Restrictions.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                            If you have underlying conditions and are elderly no doubt it’s a killer.
                            94% of COVID deaths had comorbidities, meaning COVID was the final blow, not the only cause.

Obesity alone increases chance of death 50% if you get COVID, is it a surprise that the US the most obese country in the world is being hit so hard?

Obesity needs to be taken seriously, no one had a problem ruining the economy for COVID. The companies making billions selling
                            junk , and tobacco ( fast food, etc) should be responsible for universal health care that some want.

Covid has hurt many lives, the shutdowns have taken peoples businesses, education for the youth has been set back, and hundreds of thousands have died from Covid, overdoses, and suicide.
                            Time for Americans to push for better health!!!! By health I mean nutrition, and exercise not medication that result in additional issues.

Anybody that doesn’t want to fight obesity need not worry about Covid.
                            I believe we fight Covid with better health and in some cases use vaccinations and other safety protocols like quarantine for those most at risk.

For the people who want lockdowns never forget:
                            Florida Sees Same COVID Case Rate as California, Despite No Statewide Restrictions.

Totally agree that we missed an opportunity to preach good health during this time. As for you last sentence, California and Florida are close, but North Dakota (which has no restrictions) has the most per capita cases while Hawaii ( which had stringent restrictions) has the fewest cases per capita.

Comment

• I know this is not a totally valid statement (for all of you out there to buy into), but everyone I know within the allowable age groups, here in Canada, and a close person I know in The US are all getting vaccinated. I will low ball this a bit, but the average intelligence of this entire group is at least average. Yet not one person is avoiding the vaccine. I attribute it to being informed and able to think critically. None of these folks is being pressured. None of these folks is up on conspiracy theories. And overall, this relatively large group are caring, supportive people.....and are not all old.

So yeah, call me biased....but only to the point of being associated with wise people, who tend to do the right things. Successful, nice folks.

Comment

• This is what concerns me going forward. What we find happens to long haulers.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/06/healt...ess/index.html

Comment

Working...
                                X