Corona virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

Learn to live with unnecessary death just because....REALLY?
    What is a necessary death?
    Close to 60 thousand have died in California which has been lockdown for a year with strict mask mandates. Seems like people are dying in states closed and open ( the highest rate of death in the strictest state New Jersey)

Below are deaths from Covid, are these all necessary? Regardless of lockdowns and mask mandates deaths happen, people died before Covid from old age and unhealthy lifestyles, those same people are not fairing well vs Covid.

Here is a breakdown of COVID-19 deaths per 100,000 people in all 50 U.S. states and Washington, D.C. The data was last updated at 6:42 a.m. CDT.

Note: These are the latest numbers available. The list includes ties.

New Jersey: 278
    Population: 8.9 million residents

New York: 258
    Population: 19.4 million

Massachusetts: 252
    Population: 6.9 million

Rhode Island: 248
    Population: 1.1 million

Mississippi: 238
    Population: 3 million

Arizona: 234
    Population: 7.3 million

Connecticut: 222
    Population: 3.6 million

Louisiana: 219
    Population: 4.6 million

South Dakota: 219
    Population: 884,659

Alabama: 217
    Population: 4.9 million

Pennsylvania: 198
    Population: 12.8 million

North Dakota: 197
    Population: 762,062

Indiana: 194
    Population: 6.7 million

New Mexico: 189
    Population: 2.1 million

Arkansas: 187
    Population: 3 million

Illinois: 187
    Population: 12.7 million

Iowa: 185
    Population: 3.2 million

South Carolina: 179
    Population: 5.1 million

Georgia: 176
    Population: 10.6 million

Michigan: 174
    Population: 10 million

Tennessee: 174
    Population: 6.8 million

Nevada: 172
    Population: 3.1 million

Kansas: 169
    Population: 2.9 million

Texas: 169
    Population: 30 million

Delaware: 161
    Population: 973,764

Ohio: 160
    Population: 11.7 million

Florida: 157
    Population: 21.5 million

District of Columbia: 152
    Population: 705,749

California: 151
    Population: 39.5 million

West Virginia: 151
    Population: 1.8 million

Missouri: 147
    Population: 6.1 million

Kentucky: 141
    Population: 4.5 million

Maryland: 139
    Population: 6 million

Montana: 138
    Population: 1.1 million

Wisconsin: 126
    Population: 5.8 million

Oklahoma: 125
    Population: 4 million

Minnesota: 124
    Population: 5.6 million

Virginia: 122
    Population: 8.5 million

Wyoming: 121
    Population: 578,759

Nebraska: 118
    Population: 1.9 million

North Carolina: 116
    Population: 10.5 million

Idaho: 111
    Population: 1.8 million

Colorado: 108
    Population: 5.8 million

New Hampshire: 92
    Population: 1.4 million

Washington: 70
    Population: 7.6 million

Utah: 67
    Population: 3.2 million

Oregon: 58
    Population: 4.2 million

Maine: 55
    Population: 1.3 million

Alaska: 41
    Population: 731,545

Vermont: 37
    Population: 623,989

Hawaii: 33
    Population: 1.4 million

sigpic

Comment

• Leaders need to get gyms opened and provide nutritional experts and personal trainers to fight this epidemic. I believe the vaccine can help some but not all.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...y-coronavirus/

Obesity is the countries biggest issue right now.

Researchers found that by the end of 2020, global Covid-19 death rates were more than 10 times higher in countries where more than half the adults are overweight, compared to countries where fewer than half are overweight.
      The team examined mortality data from Johns Hopkins University (JHU) and the World Health Organization (WHO) and found that of 2.5 million Covid-19 deaths reported by the end of February, 2.2 million were in countries where more than half the population is overweight.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/04/healt...ntl/index.html

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
        Leaders need to get gyms opened and provide nutritional experts and personal trainers to fight this epidemic. I believe the vaccine can help some but not all.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...y-coronavirus/

Obesity is the countries biggest issue right now.

Researchers found that by the end of 2020, global Covid-19 death rates were more than 10 times higher in countries where more than half the adults are overweight, compared to countries where fewer than half are overweight.
        The team examined mortality data from Johns Hopkins University (JHU) and the World Health Organization (WHO) and found that of 2.5 million Covid-19 deaths reported by the end of February, 2.2 million were in countries where more than half the population is overweight.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/04/healt...ntl/index.html

I think we've discussed this basic stuff many times throughout the thread, as to what Peanut said, and to which I mentioned as well earlier. But to frame this properly, I don't think anyone doubts the value of good health. There is nothing to debate about taking care of oneself. But lets also factor in that people have health issues which they are not responsible for, or they may have been misfortunate to acquire, and many older folks...who are in pretty good shape for their age, can not be blamed for "aging". Because of my age, I know a lot about what goes on with folks of this age. Many of them I know are as active as many younger folks. I happen to think a lot of us baby boomers are doing well, and look pretty good considering. BUT....I also know that many folks in my age bracket are quite likely to be taking a med of some sort. Perhaps blood pressure. Perhaps other low dosage meds. That is not a crime, but it verifies that older folks are having to deal with a battle of health, no matter how healthy they try to be.

Plus the facts that younger folks have caught it and passed it on, or even succumbed to it.

Plus many of those who are less healthy may be the victims of mental related issues, and have difficulty coping.

So I am always careful when I think I know what is causing what. because in some cases, the evidence is not complete.

And I go back to this statement about humanity.....

I believe Mahatma Ghandi said “A nation’s greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members.”

And I also have read that Thomas Jefferson stated:

“the measure of society is how it treats the weakest members”

I assume both are correct quotes, but I really am only looking for evidence of one. Because I agree with the concept.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I think we've discussed this basic stuff many times throughout the thread, as to what Peanut said, and to which I mentioned as well earlier. But to frame this properly, I don't think anyone doubts the value of good health. There is nothing to debate about taking care of oneself. But lets also factor in that people have health issues which they are not responsible for, or they may have been misfortunate to acquire, and many older folks...who are in pretty good shape for their age, can not be blamed for "aging". Because of my age, I know a lot about what goes on with folks of this age. Many of them I know are as active as many younger folks. I happen to think a lot of us baby boomers are doing well, and look pretty good considering. BUT....I also know that many folks in my age bracket are quite likely to be taking a med of some sort. Perhaps blood pressure. Perhaps other low dosage meds. That is not a crime, but it verifies that older folks are having to deal with a battle of health, no matter how healthy they try to be.

Plus the facts that younger folks have caught it and passed it on, or even succumbed to it.

Plus many of those who are less healthy may be the victims of mental related issues, and have difficulty coping.

So I am always careful when I think I know what is causing what. because in some cases, the evidence is not complete.

I believe Mahatma Ghandi said “A nation’s greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members.”

I assume both are correct quotes, but I really am only looking for evidence of one. Because I agree with the concept.

We need to encourage the weak to get strong when it comes to obesity.

Until we take the obesity epidemic seriously, Covid will continue to wreak havoc on Americans ( the most overweight country in the world). The lockdowns have caused the majority of the country to gain weight due to door dash, depression, and gym closures.

The way elderly were sent into nursing homes with Covid shows clearly how our country treat the weak.
          very sad, unfortunately we have spent way to much time and money worrying about everyone not getting the virus when the real focus should be on the elderly & people with underlying conditions.
          30 million cases in the United States and 500 k have passed away. 95% are over 50 & over 50% are obese. Don’t talk about science when
          we know who the majority of the victims are.
          Lockdowns don’t work because they focus on everyone and not those most at risk.
          Last edited by 58Miller; 04-08-2021, 11:22 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Until we take the obesity epidemic seriously, Covid will continue to wreak havoc on Americans ( the most overweight country in the world). The lockdowns have caused the majority of the country to gain weight due to door dash, depression, and gym closures.

The way elderly were sent into nursing homes with Covid shows clearly how our country treat the weak.
            very sad, unfortunately we have spent way to much time and money worrying about everyone not getting the virus when the real focus should be on the elderly & people with underlying conditions.
            30 million cases in the United States and 500 k have passed away. 95% are over 50 & over 50% are obese. Don’t talk about science when
            58.....cmon, they have worked in parts of the world. Or is this strictly a US version that you are talking about? Regardless, lockdowns have worked, so they can work anywhere. It's how, not if.

Comment

58.....cmon, they have worked in parts of the world. Or is this strictly a US version that you are talking about? Regardless, lockdowns have worked, so they can work anywhere. It's how, not if.
              I’m talking about the US. And if we want to be serious about saving lives why are we not focusing on the facts. 90% of Covid death worldwide have come from the worlds most overweight countries. That and advance age are two major keys in fighting Covid.
              staying home has resulted in the majority in our country getting less healthy. Most have gained weight, have gotten less vitamin d from the sun, and little to no exercise. That is not a good plan against a virus that kills the weak & obese.
              If leaders, scientists etc. don’t want to get the country in better health #1 then please stop talking about saving lives because unhealthy lifestyles kill more people than Covid ever will.
              sigpic

Comment

Do you think those risk groups only get it from each other?

Comment

I’m talking about the US. And if we want to be serious about saving lives why are we not focusing on the facts. 90% of Covid death worldwide have come from the worlds most overweight countries. That and advance age are two major keys in fighting Covid.
                  staying home has resulted in the majority in our country getting less healthy. Most have gained weight, have gotten less vitamin d from the sun, and little to no exercise. That is not a good plan against a virus that kills the weak & obese.
                  If leaders, scientists etc. don’t want to get the country in better health #1 then please stop talking about saving lives because unhealthy lifestyles kill more people than Covid ever will.
                  But as much as I agree with you about good health, how do you suddenly become healthier in an urgent pandemic?? Do you think everyone at home was going to all change diets/exercising routines, when they are in the stressful times including the concern for being safe, the concern for loved ones who got infected, the stresses of job and schooling in confusing times, the social adjustment that many had to endure with so much lack of clarity ahead, and possibly some serious financial concerns. That to me is a recipe for stress and even negative health, versus a sudden health reboot.

Again, we are talking two different things, one about good health practices (which is a worthy mission), and two, a sudden pandemic that did not exactly drive all of us to eating/exercising better.

Comment

But as much as I agree with you about good health, how do you suddenly become healthier in an urgent pandemic?? Do you think everyone at home was going to all change diets/exercising routines, when they are in the stressful times including the concern for being safe, the concern for loved ones who got infected, the stresses of job and schooling in confusing times, the social adjustment that many had to endure with so much lack of clarity ahead, and possibly some serious financial concerns. That to me is a recipe for stress and even negative health, versus a sudden health reboot.

Again, we are talking two different things, one about good health practices (which is a worthy mission), and two, a sudden pandemic that did not exactly drive all of us to eating/exercising better.
                    Me and my wife have changed our diets together, we take walks, lift weights 3x a week. Nothing crazy but we realize we can’t just hide from Covid, if we get it we want to be ready and in the best shape we can.
                    The same way if a hurricane is coming or a tornado you get away from it or seek safety. Covid is coming for the weak, if you don’t do anything about it then you may be a victim. The elderly in New York got Covid and were sent back in to nursing homes where they infected other people who were being quarantined, the streets all over the country had millions protesting last summer, those two examples alone should show us that governments can’t protect us we have to take responsibility and no we can’t save everyone but we can take care of ourselves and our families in many ways. #1 is nutrition, sleep, and exercise. Then vaccines for those who are in advance age and have underlying conditions.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post

Do you think those risk groups only get it from each other?
                      No, but why can’t we use our resources on putting them in safer situations?
                      The NFL had how many deaths?
                      The NBA ? If those leagues can do that then we can set up those in danger much better.
                      They may have to sacrifice seeing loved ones but that’s what the whole country has been asked to do right? And no where was it successful in preventing no cases or deaths.

The truth is many laws are made that only hurt law abiding citizens and don’t prevent the real criminals. The majority of Covid in my opinion is spread by the youth who know they will barley get sick if they even have symptoms, they don’t care. So the country lockdown and put out of business law abiding citizens so to try and stop those who don’t care and still do there thing.

sigpic

Comment

Me and my wife have changed our diets together, we take walks, lift weights 3x a week. Nothing crazy but we realize we can’t just hide from Covid, if we get it we want to be ready and in the best shape we can.
                        The same way if a hurricane is coming or a tornado you get away from it or seek safety. Covid is coming for the weak, if you don’t do anything about it then you may be a victim. The elderly in New York got Covid and were sent back in to nursing homes where they infected other people who were being quarantined, the streets all over the country had millions protesting last summer, those two examples alone should show us that governments can’t protect us we have to take responsibility and no we can’t save everyone but we can take care of ourselves and our families in many ways. #1 is nutrition, sleep, and exercise. Then vaccines for those who are in advance age and have underlying conditions.
                        I think we are again, sticking by our stories. I'll try not to continue discussing. At some point it's interesting, but this is very complex, has different impacts on individuals, was governed/administered different, and is not necessarily fully understood by even the best of scientists/medical folks (though they are the #1 folks to listen to).

I believe good health is a positive factor for many obvious reasons. But there's more to this than that, and though it's great that you took a proactive approach, not so easy for everyone in such harsh times. I won't get into protests, because I am not qualified to fully appreciate why they protested as they did, though many were abiding by the rules. I could say more, but that's off topic. That's a covid issue but also a very real other issue. And if we go there, I think you will agree that certain "leaders" promoted unsafe rallies. Just because.

So lets try to focus on the going forward and not the yesterday.

The pandemic may not be close to being over, and so yes, lets all be wise. But for the record, yes of course health is a factor in most all we do.

Comment

I think we are again, sticking by our stories. I'll try not to continue discussing. At some point it's interesting, but this is very complex, has different impacts on individuals, was governed/administered different, and is not necessarily fully understood by even the best of scientists/medical folks (though they are the #1 folks to listen to).

I believe good health is a positive factor for many obvious reasons. But there's more to this than that, and though it's great that you took a proactive approach, not so easy for everyone in such harsh times. I won't get into protests, because I am not qualified to fully appreciate why they protested as they did, though many were abiding by the rules. I could say more, but that's off topic. That's a covid issue but also a very real other issue. And if we go there, I think you will agree that certain "leaders" promoted unsafe rallies. Just because.

So lets try to focus on the going forward and not the yesterday.

The pandemic may not be close to being over, and so yes, lets all be wise. But for the record, yes of course health is a factor in most all we do.
                          With all respect it sounds like you want to follow the current narrative that has lead us to where we are. 30 million cases and 500k plus deaths because as a country locking everyone down sounds like a better plan than getting healthy and locking down/ quarantining the weak.
                          Truth is healthy countries have not been hit hard by Covid at all. Mainly the elderly have been victims from this pandemic.
                          But I’m just using reason, we live in a country that has ignored science, don’t believe me? Why are children not in school?
                          sigpic

Comment

Good post. I agree with what you said.

To add to the bolded, high cholesterol does not only come from bad eating habits. Some people have high cholesterol because it's genetic. Certain races are more prone to high blood pressure. Some people are overweight because of genetics / other health issues. I did not do anything to "get" lupus. There's no known cause (or cure). I'm just fortunate enough to be a woman of color.

Yes, some of our health issues are under our control. It would be nice if some people would look beyond and not group everyone together. It's almost like victim-blaming.
                            Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• It’s clear that many want Covid defeated as long as it is supports their narrative.
                              Those same people can’t explain why cases in lockdown states are similar to open states.
                              Reverse obesity in our country, protect those most likely to be hospitalized and die and quit worrying about the majority that has a 99.7% chance of surviving Covid.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Peanut View Post

Good post. I agree with what you said.

To add to the bolded, high cholesterol does not only come from bad eating habits. Some people have high cholesterol because it's genetic. Certain races are more prone to high blood pressure. Some people are overweight because of genetics / other health issues. I did not do anything to "get" lupus. There's no known cause (or cure). I'm just fortunate enough to be a woman of color.

Yes, some of our health issues are under our control. It would be nice if some people would look beyond and not group everyone together. It's almost like victim-blaming.
                                I would call people who died from cigarettes before people were aware of the side effects victims, today with it very clear that cigarettes kill 400k a year in the us ( 40k from second hand smoke) that group is no longer victims.

Covid kills elderly and unhealthy ( 50% obese) nothing can be done to prevent a persons age, obesity can be cured for the majority. But you won’t hear that from our leaders, you will hear “ don’t wear mask”, then “wear masks”, then “wear 2 or 3 mask”. You will also see our leaders close gyms, parks, arrest a man in the ocean by himself on a Stand up paddle board, arrest a man playing catch in an empty parking lot with his child. But if you want to eat 10,000 calories a day and sit on your couch ordering groceries and not going outside, your doing the right thing and helping fight the spread.
                                Sorry that is not a victim, that is a person who chooses to not take care of themselves. And now that we know the data, their should be a war on obesity, help people lose weight! I’m not talking about being cover models I’m talking about mixing in daily exercise, get vitamin d and quit eating a diet full of carbohydrates, sugar and seed oils. They are killing way more than Covid ever has or will and people are addicted.

(CNN)The risk of death from Covid-19 is about 10 times higher in countries where most of the population is overweight, according to a report released Wednesday by the World Obesity Federation.

If something makes your chance of death 10 times higher , society needs to be doing everything it can to reduce it.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X