• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazzbodog
    Football Immortal
    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post

can you share the article that says young healthy people are the ones filling hospitals not overweight and obese?
    • About 78% of people who have been hospitalized, needed a ventilator or died from Covid-19 have been overweight or obese, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a new study Monday.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/covi...-or-obese.html
    While this article is 2-3 months old, it points out that it's not totally the older, unhealthy people driving the Covid pandemic. More recent CDC updates show the amount of younger people are driving up new cases even more now than a few month ago. There are more articles that support this data. Remember, I'm talking about what's happening TODAY, not 2020. You need to get out of the past into the present.

One age group is responsible for nearly half of new cases of COVID-19, study shows

Korin Miller
    February 2, 2021·5 min read

For months, public health officials have said that younger adults have been big drivers of the spread of COVID-19 in the U.S. But new research suggests there’s another age group that may be fueling new cases of the virus: people ages 35 to 49.

That’s the conclusion of a just-released study from the U.K.’s Imperial College London. The study, which was published in the journal Science, analyzed mobility data from the cellphones of more than 10 million Americans between early February and late October 2020. Among other things, the data helped researchers determine where people went, like restaurants and grocery stores. The researchers then compared that data to COVID-19 case and mortality rates by age.

The researchers concluded in the study that the “majority of COVID-19 infections” originate from people between the ages of 20 and 49, but people between 35 and 49 were responsible for 41.1 percent of new cases of the virus. Those in their late thirties and forties driving the spread of the virus was consistent across the country, the researchers said in the study, but “estimated contributions” of people between 20 and 34 were higher in the Southern, Southwestern and Western regions of the United States.
    Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• 58Miller
      Football Immortal
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

While this article is 2-3 months old, it points out that it's not totally the older, unhealthy people driving the Covid pandemic. More recent CDC updates show the amount of younger people are driving up new cases even more now than a few month ago. There are more articles that support this data. Remember, I'm talking about what's happening TODAY, not 2020. You need to get out of the past into the present.

One age group is responsible for nearly half of new cases of COVID-19, study shows

Korin Miller
      February 2, 2021·5 min read

For months, public health officials have said that younger adults have been big drivers of the spread of COVID-19 in the U.S. But new research suggests there’s another age group that may be fueling new cases of the virus: people ages 35 to 49.

That’s the conclusion of a just-released study from the U.K.’s Imperial College London. The study, which was published in the journal Science, analyzed mobility data from the cellphones of more than 10 million Americans between early February and late October 2020. Among other things, the data helped researchers determine where people went, like restaurants and grocery stores. The researchers then compared that data to COVID-19 case and mortality rates by age.

The researchers concluded in the study that the “majority of COVID-19 infections” originate from people between the ages of 20 and 49, but people between 35 and 49 were responsible for 41.1 percent of new cases of the virus. Those in their late thirties and forties driving the spread of the virus was consistent across the country, the researchers said in the study, but “estimated contributions” of people between 20 and 34 were higher in the Southern, Southwestern and Western regions of the United States.

I believe you said young healthy people were being hospitalized ?

younger, sun loving, Vitamin D popping, healthy gym rats, party animals that are leading the way into hospitals.

What's up 58M?????
      The article you shared, is about age groups that’s are spreading the virus. I didn’t see anything about them leading the way into the hospitals.

78% of the people going to the hospital are obese and/ or overweight. Regardless of age.

You can focus on keeping people 5yrs old through 49 inside like many states have attempted for the last year. I believe it is a better plan to protect the elderly, people with underlying conditions, and overweight/ obese people who are the group that account for 95% of the hospitalizations and deaths from Covid. Encourage them to lockdown and quarantine, and if they want to, provide resources to help them lose weight.

Lack of discipline is the issue with obese, overweight, and the group of young party people you mentioned.
      sigpic

Comment

• CanDB
        Football Immortal
        • Mar 2008

For the first time in some time, I realize that my country is slipping badly with another wave. The US in my opinion is doing pretty good as a result of their rapid vaccination roll out. Not to say they don't have any issues in select areas. My main concern here is that it appears we allowed a number of travelers to land here, while testing positive. Not even sure how that happened, given the criticality of this new wave. I am not sure how many were variant carriers, but I believe some are.

But my suggestion to any country is to respect these variants even more. They spread at a different speed!

It also confirms my belief that Canada has a high % of urban areas making it as likely to spread as almost any country, and that when we were taking it very seriously it was the right thing to do....even here in my smaller province.

Comment

• Hadez
          Football Immortal
          • Nov 2004

Not sure if anyone paying attention but the Lab Leak Theory is picking up a lot of steam. Some people say there is more evidence to support that theory than the Animal Transfer Theory.
          What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
          effort x talent = skill
          effort x skill = achievement
          How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• jazzbodog
            Football Immortal
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
            Not sure if anyone paying attention but the Lab Leak Theory is picking up a lot of steam. Some people say there is more evidence to support that theory than the Animal Transfer Theory.
            Theories are just that, theories. I watch several major news networks every day. I haven't heard of this "theory".

Where's the verifiable, scientific, authentic, provable evidence / data?
            Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• CanDB
              Football Immortal
              • Mar 2008

Theories are just that, theories. I watch several major news networks every day. I haven't heard of this "theory".

I was going to say that info is in the lab........but hmmmm.

Last edited by CanDB; 05-25-2021, 07:25 AM.

Comment

• 58Miller
                Football Immortal
                • Jul 2013

Coincidentally:
                “Three researchers from China’s Wuhan Institute of Virology became sick enough in November 2019 that they sought hospital care, according to a previously undisclosed U.S. intelligence report that could add weight to growing calls for a fuller probe of whether the Covid-19 virus may have escaped from the laboratory.”

Also coincidentally if the coronavirus was from a lab leak in China it would come from China’s Wuhan Institute of Virology.

China said it wasn’t a lab leak.....
                why would they lie?

Dr. Flip Flop’s Take:
                Dr. Anthony Fauci told the Poynter Institute on May 11 that he wasn't totally convinced that Covid-19 developed naturally and that he thinks that more investigation into the origin is needed.

Originally he said May 2020, Fauci told National Geographic:"What’s out there now is very, very strongly leaning toward this could not have been artificially or deliberately manipulated."

Last edited by 58Miller; 05-25-2021, 05:48 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

• Hadez
                  Football Immortal
                  • Nov 2004

First off let me be clear...all we have are theories. There is not enough evidence to know what really happened at this point. We should investigate everything though.

The Rogan interview with Bret Weinstein was the first time this was brought to my attention in a way I thought was credible and frankly I did not want to hear it at first. I been sitting on it for months as I knew most people would not take this as enough.

Bret Weinstein has been on multiple places talking about the science. The longer the interview the more in depth he goes into the science. Let me know how in deep you are ready to get into the science and I will suggest a deep science link or just a brief science link where he discusses his reasons for his theory. The Bill Maur show is brief and just touches on the science. The Rising Hill on youtube goes a little more into the science and is the most recent interview I know he has done. The Rogan show interview goes pretty deep into the science. I had to watch it multiple times to wrap my head around it including having to get over not wanting to hear it a 2nd time.

Wall Street Journal has been putting out articles. Apparently US intelligence says staff from the Wuhan lab were hospitalized in Nov 2019 with symptoms that could have possibly been Covid...or maybe another similar illness. I linked an article talking about it for those who do not have a sub.to the WSJ. Josh Rogin from the Washington Post has a very interesting take on his opinion of the events.

There are a lot of interesting things going on but I do not want to take people further than they are willing to go with this topic.
                  Last edited by Hadez; 05-25-2021, 05:58 PM.
                  effort x talent = skill
                  How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• Hadez
                    Football Immortal
                    • Nov 2004

Coincidentally:
                    “Three researchers from China’s Wuhan Institute of Virology became sick enough in November 2019 that they sought hospital care, according to a previously undisclosed U.S. intelligence report that could add weight to growing calls for a fuller probe of whether the Covid-19 virus may have escaped from the laboratory.”

Also coincidentally if the coronavirus was from a lab leak in China it would come from China’s Wuhan Institute of Virology.

China said it wasn’t a lab leak.....
                    why would they lie?

Dr. Flip Flop’s Take:
                    Dr. Anthony Fauci told the Poynter Institute on May 11 that he wasn't totally convinced that Covid-19 developed naturally and that he thinks that more investigation into the origin is needed.

Originally he said May 2020, Fauci told National Geographic:"What’s out there now is very, very strongly leaning toward this could not have been artificially or deliberately manipulated."
                    I get why people want to go hard after Dr Fauci but expressing these opinions is only going to hurt constructive discussion on the lab leak theory.
                    effort x talent = skill

Comment

• 58Miller
                      Football Immortal
                      • Jul 2013

I get why people want to go hard after Dr Fauci but expressing these opinions is only going to hurt constructive discussion on the lab leak theory.
                      A constructive discussion would start by pointing out how the World Healy Organization , and Dr. Fauci were quick to say it was naturally occurring despite both having conflict of interest in this case. Fauci realizing evidence like the Three researchers from China’s Wuhan Institute of Virology became sick enough in November 2019 that they sought hospital care.

What conflict of interest: Scientists in laboratories all over the world have for the past decade been collecting dangerous viruses and making them even more dangerous by performing "gain-of-function" experiments on them—manipulating the viruses to make them more infectious or deadly or both. The work is undertaken for the best of intentions—to understand and anticipate future pandemic viruses that could arise in nature—and much of this work has been done in the U.S. and abroad with funding from the National Institutes of Health and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, which Dr. Fauci leads.

sigpic

Comment

• 58Miller
                        Football Immortal
                        • Jul 2013

What makes more sense? That it originated in nature, despite the intermediate host never being found. None of the animals in the wet markets have the virus, and haven’t found the virus in nature.

Or could it be the lab in Wuhan that was performing gain of function experiments with viruses?

If you want evidence to decide both arguments are lacking.

sigpic

Comment

• Hadez
                          Football Immortal
                          • Nov 2004

A constructive discussion would start by pointing out how the World Healy Organization , and Dr. Fauci were quick to say it was naturally occurring despite both having conflict of interest in this case. Fauci realizing evidence like the Three researchers from China’s Wuhan Institute of Virology became sick enough in November 2019 that they sought hospital care.

What conflict of interest: Scientists in laboratories all over the world have for the past decade been collecting dangerous viruses and making them even more dangerous by performing "gain-of-function" experiments on them—manipulating the viruses to make them more infectious or deadly or both. The work is undertaken for the best of intentions—to understand and anticipate future pandemic viruses that could arise in nature—and much of this work has been done in the U.S. and abroad with funding from the National Institutes of Health and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, which Dr. Fauci leads.

Part of working for a 2 major corporations for almost 20 years now I get conflict of interest training close to once a year. It has been apparent to me the people most responsible constructing the Animal Transfer Theory and the people assigning them to the roles that allowed them to perform the duties which helped construct the Animal Transfer Theory need conflict of interest training.

There is definitely not enough evidence to support any theory as fact as this point and imo people should be skeptic and consider any line of information which lead them to stop considering any theory.

Learning how COVID19 was brought to the public is the single most thing people should put down all emotion and bias and just do an honest investigation.
                          Last edited by Hadez; 05-26-2021, 08:40 AM.
                          effort x talent = skill

Comment

• 58Miller
                            Football Immortal
                            • Jul 2013

Part of working for a 2 major corporations for almost 20 years now I get conflict of interest training close to once a year. It has been apparent to me the people most responsible constructing the Animal Transfer Theory and the people assigning them to the roles that allowed them to perform the duties which helped construct the Animal Transfer Theory need conflict of interest training.

There is definitely not enough evidence to support any theory as fact as this point and imo people should be skeptic and consider any line of information which lead them to stop considering any theory.

Learning how COVID19 was brought to the public is the single most thing people should put down all emotion and bias and just do an honest investigation.
                            Unfortunately the country where the virus originated doesn’t allow free speech.
                            Anyone who is aware of what happen in Chernobyl knows how far a country will go to cover up a horrible mistake.
                            sigpic

Comment

• CanDB
                              Football Immortal
                              • Mar 2008

Appears I did not push "post" recently. Not my first time thinking I have when I haven't.

Where I live, we are now the hotspot for North America. New York Times "hotspot"! Not proud of it, given how so many of us have followed the rules for so long. It won't last too long, because 3rd waves tend to decline with some pattern of regularity, plus we are now starting to get our 2nd shots. My appointment will likely be in the books within a week.

But so much for us being too cautious last year. Overreactive as someone stated. You're never too cautious in a pandemic, one that has never really been dealt with before. One that has killed somewhere near 3.5 million thus far.

I stick by my views from the get go.....test, test, test....monitor closely, trace, proactively enforce rules, and yes....roll out vaccines as quickly as you can. Read up on New Zealand if you get a few moments. Isolation is great, but so is process.

As for rolling out vaccines, that part is clearly working in The US.
                              Last edited by CanDB; 05-27-2021, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                                Super Moderator
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                                Appears I did not push "post" recently. Not my first time thinking I have when I haven't.

Where I live, we are now the hotspot for North America. New York Times "hotspot"! Not proud of it, given how so many of us have followed the rules for so long. It won't last too long, because 3rd waves tend to decline with some pattern of regularity, plus we are now starting to get our 2nd shots. My appointment will likely be in the books within a week.

But so much for us being too cautious last year. Overreactive as someone stated. You're never too cautious in a pandemic, one that has never really been dealt with before. One that has killed somewhere near 3.5 million thus far.

I stick by my views from the get go.....test, test, test....monitor closely, trace, proactively enforce rules, and yes....roll out vaccines as quickly as you can. Read up on New Zealand if you get a few moments. Isolation is great, but so is process.

As for rolling out vaccines, that part is clearly working in The US.
                                You've finally got a reason to be concerned, unlike last year when the 15 cases a day your province had was nothing compared to states that were dealing with 5000 to 10,000 cases per day. With that being said I do hope your province gets over the hump soon. We were in a very similar situation 3 weeks ago, and our citizens listened, we followed the guidelines, got our vaccinations (we should pass 60% with one dose tomorrow or Saturday) and now have a clearly laid out plan to complete reopening, IF we continue to do what we need to do (the dates thrown around out there as actual dates aren't true, they were dates we could see things happen based on current trends, but aren't set in stone, or even written in pencil). Hopefully Manitobans start following the rules at some point.

Question for you about New Zealand and Australia and their "wisdom" they locked everyone down, harshly, and closed their borders to get to 0 cases. Now anytime cases even blip it leads to immediate shutdowns of large populations. Melbourne, a city of 5 million, in facing a 4th strict lockdown (their second lockdown was 111 days) because of 26 cases. They have very little vaccination going on in either country (New Zealand at 7.5% with one dose, Australia at 13.1%) so now their only answer is lockdowns and closed borders.

Do you really think isolation is great (as you said) when it's led to massive lockdowns (way stricter than anything we've seen in Canada) when they get even a small number of cases and they're likely to remain dealing with a pandemic, and following this cycle long after many other countries are open for business? The praised "success" of New Zealand and Australia will be looked at with scorn in coming years because the only thing they've done is lengthened things.

Comment

Working...
                                X